Criteria for OW?

rigger101

West TN has only had 1 OW in the history of the event, Michael Spencer back in 1993.

825576181[/snapback]

I can't imagine anyone being more dominating than Meredith and Knox this year. If it had gone to Meredith, I would not be posting! This tourney was the first time I had watched Meredith. He was a man among young men.

Coleman was the only medal winner in his bracket. It just seems a little strange.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OW should go to the wrestler who wrestled that particular tournament the best. Bo Usary wrestled a returning state champ in the finals and rallied from a 5-0 deficit to win in OT, That deserved best match and OW in my opinion.

825576361[/snapback]

Bo had a great match and deserved best match but so did 112!

Bo did not dominate the State Tourney like Knox and Meredith.

I think Kenny Merideth should have won OW. Afterall, he's 92-3 these past 2 years and undefeated this year. At state he pinned 3 guys, won once by MD 11-2, and won the final 13-7. He pinned one guy in the second round in 17 seconds. He got taken down once in the final and that was the first time all year that someone took him down.

OW should go to the wrestler who wrestled that particular tournament the best. Bo Usary wrestled a returning state champ in the finals and rallied from a 5-0 deficit to win in OT, That deserved best match and OW in my opinion.

825576361[/snapback]

Bo had a great match and deserved best match but so did 112!

Bo did not dominate the State Tourney like Knox or Meredith.

Bo

1. TF-6:00

2. Pin-5:03

3. 13-5

4. 10-3

5. 11-9 overtime

Knox

1. Pin-1:45

2. Pin- :30

3. 14-3

4. 19-8

5. 13-6

The only points Knox opponets had were the ones he gave them while giving a take down clinic on the way to the Championship. I will let Meredith folks speak for him.

Bo has two more years to get his OW. That is if they will let it go out of the Chattanooga area! ;)

Edited by rigger101

I think Kenny Merideth should have won OW.  Afterall, he's 92-3 these past 2 years and undefeated this year.  At state he pinned 3 guys, won once by MD 11-2, and won the final 13-7.  He pinned one guy in the second round in 17 seconds.  He got taken down once in the final and that was the first time all year that someone took him down.

825576387[/snapback]

Perhaps the majority of the refs have always felt Danny was more outstanding than Kenny. And for good reason. It may have something to do with WHO the majority has seen most often and is more familiar with? Chattanooga is the flagship of Tennessee wrestling and a good number of our seasoned refs come from this area. These fine officials love this area and their great wrestlers; and for good reason. This could be a factor.

I've also watched Danny during the regular season and he seemed more intense than even during this tournament. Not more intense than Kenny, but I must note that I thought Kenny needed to get one good throw to finish strong and seal the deal. Great win and over a great wrestler in Jim. Sometimes, like in any match, you have to make it so obvious that a ref would be embarrassed not to vote for you. Perhaps Danny earned the majorities' votes before Feb. 17th?

soms

Perhaps the majority of the refs have always felt Danny was more outstanding than Kenny.  And for good reason.  It may have something to do with WHO the majority has seen most often and is more familiar with?  Chattanooga is the flagship of Tennessee wrestling and a good number of our seasoned refs come from this area.  These fine officials love this area and their great wrestlers; and for good reason.  This could be a factor.

I've also watched Danny during the regular season and he seemed more intense than even during this tournament.  Not more intense than Kenny, but I must note that I thought Kenny needed to get one good throw to finish strong and seal the deal.  Great win and over a great wrestler in Jim.  Sometimes, like in any match, you have to make it so obvious that a ref would be embarrassed not to vote for you. Perhaps Danny earned the majorities' votes before Feb. 17th?

soms

825576563[/snapback]

Soms your a former Choo choo town boy. You just helped make my mind up. If your not from that area, Your Scr##ed for OW. Danny has been a great light weight. But look at this years State Tourney records.

Coleman

1. Pin 2:31 freshman

2. Pin 2:50 freshman

3. Pin :30 sophmore

4. Pin 2:34 Sophmore

5. 6-4 against a great freshmen.

I think if you win OW you need to finish strong against strong comp. Beating freshmen and sophs is not the same as beating the Young MEN that Meridith and Knox beat!

How many former Medal Winners did Coleman have to beat?

Best match maybe. OW, NO!

OW for his career! Maybe.

Great wrestler, I look forward too seeing how he does against seniors at the nationals!

Edited by rigger101

There was a case for the Soddy kid last year!  James wasn't average!

Gibson didn't look like a OW at the Nationals In Cleveland, OH.  He looked very average.

825576771[/snapback]

I must have misunderstood your point. I thought we were talking about last years TSSAA state wrestling tournament. My fault.

James would/could have been an excellent choice last year as well. He did not pin in the finals, he did a very good takedown and release match in the finals. He should have tried to pin the guy and made it much harder on the refs to choose Gibson, in my opinion.

I think Kenny Merideth should have won OW.  Afterall, he's 92-3 these past 2 years and undefeated this year.  At state he pinned 3 guys, won once by MD 11-2, and won the final 13-7.  He pinned one guy in the second round in 17 seconds.  He got taken down once in the final and that was the first time all year that someone took him down.

825576387[/snapback]

And to add to that the three losses were to Stae Champions. The kid from Soddy beat him in the Soddy Finals and the state finals. Merable beat him in the semis @ the G.P. West invitational last year. Home cooking, sure think so!