New Region Six

michael.geasley

New region six parents, coaches, school administrators and wrestlers, Congress men, etc.,

I just sent an email to the director of TSSAA, Mr. Ronnie Carter, that stated, in part;

The realignment of wrestling regions is demonstratively unfair to the student wrestlers in the new region six. An analysis of the new region six schools' results at the State wrestling tournament(s) (last year, the last five years or even the last twenty years) will clearly show that the student wrestlers from these schools are not being given a fair chance to compete in the State competition. This is due to the high number of quality programs in region six, as compared to other regions, competing against each other at the regional level for a very limited number of berths to the State wrestling tournament.

What criteria were used to establish the new regions? Who were the decision makers? Was any consideration given to the quality of the programs involved?

Additionally, is it true that region four will have four qualifiers per weight class in next years State wrestling tournament and new region six will have only three per weight class? (This according to an article by Ward Gossett in the Chattanooga Times Free Press on February 21, 2005).

I do not consider the realignment of the wrestling regions a closed issue, and I hope that you are willing to consider the unfair impact this realignment will have on the student wrestlers affected by this decision.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you agree with my assessment of this situation, then I invite you to:

1. Contact Mr. Carter and express your concerns (in a respectful and productive manner).

2. Contact me at mdg4ut@charter.net so we can organize our response to this matter.

Thanks,

Michael Geasley

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New region six parents, coaches, school administrators and wrestlers, Congress men, etc.,

I just sent an email to the director of TSSAA, Mr. Ronnie Carter, that stated, in part;

The realignment of wrestling regions is demonstratively unfair to the student wrestlers in the new region six.  An analysis of the new region six schools' results at the State wrestling tournament(s) (last year, the last five years or even the last twenty years) will clearly show that the student wrestlers from these schools are not being given a fair chance to compete in the State competition.  This is due to the high number of quality programs in region six, as compared to other regions, competing against each other at the regional level for a very limited number of berths to the State wrestling tournament. 

What criteria were used to establish the new regions?  Who were the decision makers?  Was any consideration given to the quality of the programs involved?

Additionally, is it true that region four will have four qualifiers per weight class in next years State wrestling tournament and new region six will have only three per weight class?  (This according to an article by Ward Gossett in the Chattanooga Times Free Press on February 21, 2005).

I do not consider the realignment of the wrestling regions a closed issue, and I hope that you are willing to consider the unfair impact this realignment will have on the student wrestlers affected by this decision.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you agree with my assessment of this situation, then I invite you to:

1. Contact Mr. Carter and express your concerns (in a respectful and productive manner).

2. Contact me at mdg4ut@charter.net so we can organize our response to this matter.

Thanks,

Michael Geasley

825580915[/snapback]

I Agree with this 100% And Thank You Mr. Geasley for sending that to the TSSAA Director.

Six is by far the hardest region in Nashville. 5, 7, and 8 are not even close. They need to take some of the teams and spread them out. Overton, Brenteood, Franklin, and FRA would probably win 5, 7, or 8. Now they only get to send 3 wrestlers in each weigh class. Some kids placing 4th in region 4, next year will have beaten some of the champions from the other regions.

An effective way to address this issue may be to involve knowledgeable, wrestling-friendly administrators (the guys who are the official voices of their member schools) from the affected region to address the matter with the TSSAA. An official inquiry would result in an official response. Then the official membership representatives can address the TSSAA positions on their stated merits. (Concerned coaches are key in any effort such as this.)

If the TSSAA body does not hear from its membership on concerns like this, it most probably assumes that the membership is okay with it. This is why the suggestion that an administrator(s) with full understanding of the situation make inquiry(ies).

m.g, The above suggestion is offered to supplement your effort. Good luck in getting relief for your region.

You may be mistaken about who gets four qualifiers next year.

Region 4 if you count Notre Dame earned 15 medals

New Region 6 also had 15 medals

Region 3 had 14 medals

Surely Region 6 will get 4 qualifiers since ND had 10 Division 2 medals.

825581238[/snapback]

cchulk: In an earlier posting, Ronnie Carter is said to have agreed that Notre Dame will get to take credit for its Division 2 medals when determining which region gets 4 spots next year. That's what part of the uproar is about.

What schools will be competing in region 6 next year?

825582561[/snapback]

http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/newclasses.cfm

Region 6

Brentwood

Centennial (Franklin)

CPA (Nashville)

David Lipscomb (Nashville)

Franklin

Franklin Road Academy (Nashville)

Hillsboro (Nashville)

Hillwood (Nashville)

Independence (Franklin)

Nashville Christian (Nashville)

Nashville Overton (Nashville)

Page (Franklin)

Ravenwood (Brentwood)

Of the approximately 127 teams listed in the TSSAA DI Wrestling Classification, according to this years State Tournament results, 4 of these teams were in the top 20, 6 in the top 25 and 7 in the top 30. 8 of these teams were in the top 50%. FRA, the number one A/AA dual team in the State fairs no better than 6th in the region.

Imagine trying to squeeze into one of the top three slots in region 6 as compared to region 7. Region 7's top team, East Literature was 34th at the state tournament and so would fair no better than 8th in region 6.

Even taking region 2, that is jam packed with great programs, their number 1 team would be 2nd in region 6, their number 2 team would be the 4th team in region 6, number 3 would be 6 and number 4 would be 8th.

I'm not trying to take anything away from region 2. I just used them because it is easy to see how competitive that region is (Farragut, Union County, South-Doyle, Seymour, etc) and it helps put into perspective how competitive the new region 6 will be, and how unfair that is for their student athletes.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Geasley,

I can understnad your concern with how the strength of Middle TN, excluding Clarksville teams, has been packed into Region 6. The problem is that regions are set geographically, not competition strength wise. Perhaps RC will respond to your letter or not. Once regions are set, they won't change until the next classification period in 4 years. Coach Henry of Soddy Daisy was in attendance at the classification meeting. He tried to explain the amount of work that goes into setting up the regions and trying to distribute the numbers somewhat evenly. Best of luck with your campaign and let us all know how it turns out.