David Lipscomb vs. MLK

GoBama

Everyone knows that MLK has DLs number this year ... beating them soundly twice. Can they do it a third time? I feel that DL has a really good chance of winning this ballgame if they can force MLK to play the way DL plays. If not, it could end up being ugly as it has the past 2 games. It's definitely hard to beat a team 3 times in one season ... DL did it last night against Greenbrier, as did MLK against Station Camp. Regardless, the MLK-DL game is always a fun game to watch.

GO MUSTANGS

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how did this game go tonight any 1 have the final score to this one?

825587001[/snapback]

I can't tell you the final for this one, however, I do know that MLK soundly beat the Mustangs. Lipscomb was in control of the ball game for the entire first quarter, leading 9-6 after one. But, Johnny Lee came through with 2 huge threes to put the Royals on top for good. Defense was huge in this game, at one point in the 3rd, the Mustangs had four possesions in a row in which they turned the ball over before reaching the half-court line. This led to many easy buckets for MLK and what eventually became an insurmountable lead.

The key to the game was the silencing of Wes Mayes and Jason Brock. Brock had a sub-par game, even though he was one of the main reasons that Lipscomb stayed in the ball game. You have to give huge credit to Doc's strategy of "fronting" Brock and MAyes to deny them the ball in the interior and not allow them to post up and get the easy buckets that they usually find.

3-0 vs. the Mustangs

3-0 vs. the Bisons

4-0 vs. the Panthers (2003-2004)

4-0 vs. the Blue Knights (2003-2004)

Hard to do? I don't think so.... :blink:

BIG BEN

Edited by BigRoyalBen

The final was 49-29.

Don't let the score fool you .. MLK didn't spank DL by any means. It was a 10 or so point ballgame until late in the 4th. DL did a great job on defense in my opinion, but offense was a different story. DL couldn't get some shots off, and when they did, they didn't fall. Yea, DL had their fair share of turnovers. But I think DL played their best game against MLK they've played all year. MLK made their free throws late, and DL fouled even when they had the back-ups in with less than a minute to go. Good luck to both teams in region ...

Johnny Lee was HOT in the first half. I seriously do not think he missed more than 1 or 2 shots. He cooled off second though.

Stats for the game:

David Lipscomb:

Brock - 6 points

Mayes - 5 points, 7 rebounds

Slater - 5 points

Pharr - 4 points

Mallernee - 4 points

Solomon - 3 points

Alcantara - 2 points

Martin Luther King:

Lee - 21 points (16 the first half ... yea he was on)

C Smith - 16 points

Robinson - 6 points

Hobson - 4 points

Sims - 2 points

Those are the "unofficial" stats ...

For David Lipscomb ... Wesley Mayes, Jason Brock, and Zach Pharr made All-District and All-District tourney teams.

For MLK ... Johnny Lee got the MVP of District 8-AA ... well-deserved. Hobson and Smith made All-District as well.

I can't tell you the final for this one, however, I do know that MLK soundly beat the Mustangs.  Lipscomb was in control of the ball game for the entire first quarter, leading 9-6 after one.  But, Johnny Lee came through with 2 huge threes to put the Royals on top for good.  Defense was huge in this game, at one point in the 3rd, the Mustangs had four possesions in a row in which they turned the ball over before reaching the half-court line.  This led to many easy buckets for MLK and what eventually became an insurmountable lead.

The key to the game was the silencing of Wes Mayes and Jason Brock.  Brock had a sub-par game, even though he was one of the main reasons that Lipscomb stayed in the ball game.  You have to give huge credit to Doc's strategy of "fronting" Brock and MAyes to deny them the ball in the interior and not allow them to post up and get the easy buckets that they usually find.

3-0 vs. the Mustangs

3-0 vs. the Bisons

4-0 vs. the Panthers (2003-2004)

4-0 vs. the Blue Knights (2003-2004)

Hard to do? I don't think so....  :blink:

BIG BEN

825587237[/snapback]

Don't give Doc too much credit about fronting two good post players...that is common sense...you front the post with weak side help...which thats what you do against DL because they have just one pure shooter...or Am i wrong.... B)

Whoever drew MLK first round in region could be in trouble...I dont think there is a chance they lose to any team in the 7AA...Only team that could POSSIBLY matchup would be LA and im saying that cause they are the number one seed. We'll see how good they are when they play a tough Greenbrier team. Anyone have brackets for the 4AA Region yet?

MLK looked very average tonight offensively on their way to getting a 20 point win against the Mustangs. Right now there isn't anyone other than Bolivar that has a chance to even scare MLK.....and to whoever said that they will make it tough on 7AA teams, well if you remember all of 8AA makes it tough on 7AA. Better boys basketball teams in that area, 7AA has a lot of catching up to do.