National Rankings

bluesoccer

Relatively few states play their high school seasons in the Spring. The states that produce the vast majority of high school all americans and consistently whip our select teams in interstate soccer tournaments play in the Fall or Winter seasons. So when one of our teams is ranked "nationally", that's nationally if the the nation was made up of 6 or 7 states and didn't include Texas, Louisiana, California, Florida, New York, to name a few.

Not to disparage the level of play in our state but you have to put Spring national rankings in perspective. My team was ranked nationally while I played.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relatively few states play their high school seasons in the Spring. The states that produce the vast majority of high school all americans and consistently whip our select teams in interstate soccer tournaments play in the Fall or Winter seasons. So when one of our teams is ranked "nationally", that's nationally if the the nation was made up of 6 or 7 states and didn't include Texas, Louisiana, California, Florida, New York, to name a few.

Not to disparage the level of play in our state but you have to put Spring national rankings in perspective. My team was ranked nationally while I played.

825589664[/snapback]

true.....the national rankings for spring soccer are only based on the soccer teams that play in the spring. there is also a national ranking system for those who play in the winter and those that play in the fall. the reason for the separate ranking systems is because of the inability for them to play each other, as well as common opponents. in most cases, the highly ranked national teams dont play other highly ranked national teams because of logistics.

if the top 4 teams from from each state played in a tourney, the spring states would fair well. farragut won tennessee and the spring national title......they also would have contended for the 50 state national title. would they have won? we will never know.

you said that only 6 or 7 states play in the spring, yet the preseason Fab 50 for the spring includes teams from 10 states (georgia, washington, virginia, oklahoma, nebraska, tennessee, south carolina, utah, iowa and alaska) while the Fab 50 for the winter season only includes 5 states texas, florida, california, arizona and louisiana). there are 35 states that have no representation in these national poles.

as for the spring season...there are over 3,000 teams wishing to be in the Fab 50....please don't belittle the significance.

true.....the national rankings for spring soccer are only based on the soccer teams that play in the spring.  there is also a national ranking system for those who play in the winter and those that play in the fall.  the reason for the separate ranking systems is because of the inability for them to play each other, as well as common opponents.  in most cases, the highly ranked national teams dont play other highly ranked national teams because of logistics. 

if the top 4 teams from from each state played in a tourney, the spring states would fair well.  farragut won tennessee and the spring national title......they also would have contended for the 50 state national title.  would they have won?  we will never know.

you said that only 6 or 7 states play in the spring, yet the preseason Fab 50 for the spring includes teams from 10 states (georgia, washington, virginia, oklahoma, nebraska, tennessee, south carolina, utah, iowa and alaska) while the Fab 50 for the winter season only includes 5 states texas, florida, california, arizona and louisiana).  there are 35 states that have no representation in these national poles. 

as for the spring season...there are over 3,000 teams wishing to be in the Fab 50....please don't belittle the significance.

825591056[/snapback]

Not to belittle but to clarify. I enjoyed being on a team that was ranked nationally. And as a bonus we were able to provide Knox Catholic with the biggest single acheivement of their athletic history when they could claim they had beaten a nationally ranked team. Small price to pay to help out friends out in K'ville! I never did receive that thankyou note.

thanks for the clarification.....it is just the fact that you added "not really" to the thread name that was misleading. none of the Fab 50 rankings include all 50 states.......it is just a national ranking for all states playing that particular season. the spring season is larger than the season that california, texas, louisiana and florida play in.

wish i could send you that thank you for the win....but im not from k'ville, and i bet catholic doesnt look at it as a gift.

thanks for the clarification.....it is just the fact that you added "not really" to the thread name that was misleading.  none of the Fab 50 rankings include all 50 states.......it is just a national ranking for all states playing that particular season.  the spring season is larger than the season that california, texas, louisiana and florida play in. 

wish i could send you that thank you for the win....but im not from k'ville, and i bet catholic doesnt look at it as a gift.

825593446[/snapback]

i agree that no season is made up of all 50 states. but if you're saying the season made up of CA, TX, LA, NY and FLA is the same quality as the spring season in which tn plays, i'd have to disagree. just by virtue of the fact that ca, tx, ny

and fla are 4 of the most populous states in the country is going to make them much more competitive than tn in any given year. when you take into account the quality of athletes (you pick the sport) those states regularly produce, i doubt if our best teams could break the top 20 in ca, tx and fla. again, i'm not disparaging tn soccer just pointing out where the pro talent comes from year in and year out. also, take a look at parade all americans.

i know we can put together some terrific select teams from time to time but the subject is high schoo soccer.

Edited by bluesoccer