Giles Co. 60, Waverly 49

PageMan

I made the trip to Giles County last night expecting a good game and it is excatly what i saw last night in Fraknlin.  I was also expecting Tyler to have improved his game more than i saw.  I have saw the kid play for the 4th year in a row now and he is still a layup/dunk player with no range other than the paint area.  he had 15 points in the game.  7dunk/layups and a freethrow if i am remebering correctly.  Missed his 3 point shots very badly even a airball.  His freethrow shot wont even comment on that one.  The kid is 6'7 in hs that dunks and shoots layups all the time he may hit a occasional 3 or two every now and then, but he needs major improvement before coming to UT.  I hope the kid gets in the gym and shoots 1000 shots a day this summer.  I have heard on here over and over from people other than giles county has he was overrated, but i didn't believe it at first until i saw it in person at the game last night.  Any player in hs can get 7dunks/layups on a team with a player no taller than 6'4 and that is pushing his size.  Now on to the game.  I thought when tyler sent ricco's ball 3rows deep into the crowd from the baseline that is was going to be a long night for the Tigers last night, but i was wrong.  Waverly played a tough game last night and defiently wasn't there best game of the year by far.  Coffey impressed me once again last night with his play.  He can pop the three and drive dunk pass all the tools and he has some killler Defense as well.  Ricco was the best player on the floor last night by far.  The kid continusely drove in the lane and created his shot over Smith and dished to his teammates.  The game was pretty well officated throughout except for the terrible Technical called on Coach Rawlings.  Giles got away with a coupe of over the back calls but everyone does in a championship game you got to just let them play in big games like that one last night. 

Waverly hung around the entire  game last night keep it in single digits almost the entire way until giles got up by 10 at one pt in the third  but that didn't last long as waverly answered back and cut it back down to a 3 pt game again.  The game was continually around 5pts for giles even at one pt the game was tied at 40-40.  With waverly having the chance to take the lead on freethrows, but couldnt connect.  The 4th qtr was really sloppy and intense and the refs let them play a little to much on  both sides in that qtr considering how close the game was, but the refs by no means cost waverly the game.  All in all it was a good game and if Leonard could have gotten his normal 4 or 5 threes a game instead of just his 5pts last night this game could have been totally different, but Giles pulled it out with role players hitting big shots when needed.  The score is not indicative of the outcome.  Waverly had to fould late and ended up losing by 11.  I think they were only down by 5 or 6 when they were forced to fould.  I was also shocked when i read the stats that waverly only shot 7 freethrows on a team that pressed the whole game.  For the people to say that Giles didn't play there best neither did waverly.  There 3 pt markmans was like 1 for 7 from deep tonight.  so neither team played there best last night. 

Giles County fans really weren't into the game last night until they end  b/c they knew they were in a fight and could have lost that game.  I couldnt belive some middle aged man would stand up when he finaly realized the game was over and wave his hands at the entire waverly crowd,  and to top it off they booed when waverly received the second place trophy. You guys should have been cheering for waverly since they gave u guys the first AA test you have had in a while.  I have also never seen parents wave keys at a entire crowd before.  I guess there is always a first for everything in basketball these days. 

Congrats to Giles on a win and you guys will have a better chance of doing something in the state tournament that waverly would have b/c of your size and athletic ability.  Good luck against humboldt monday night and hope at least one team from the region goes on to the boro.

P.S. Whoever got on here and bashed wes carter is a moron!  What does he have to do with the game last night.  He is a great guy.  I know him personally and he came all the way down with waverly guys to cheer on his Giles County team.

I would also like to thank Coach Rawlings for the game plan he had last night against giles.  No one on this site thought waverly would be within 20 when the game ended last night.  I even saw some people but 50+ lol.  I meant to say something to the Coach for Waverly after the game but he got away from me.  Nice job last night Coach and to all the Waverly players.  Hope you guys come out with the same intensity agaisnt bolivar monday night!

825602151[/snapback]

Thanks afan. That was the first post I will agree with for the most part. Tyler did have a terrible game, he missed several from within 5 feet and we just don't see that around here. His outside shot was way off and while he shoots much better this year I wish he would put more air under the ball. He has always shot the ball flat from outside. This past summer did pay off for him because over the entire season he shot right at 40% from behind the arch. Tyler was showcased on Fox Sports South Webnesday night on Count Down To Signing Day and will be on again on the 16th of this month. On there all they showed was his three point shooting. Channing Coffey is without a doubt the unsung hero of GC basketball. If he were more vocal and showed leadership like Tyler then I think there would be two D1 players on that team. Ricco Ralston simply stole the show last night. He is quick as a cat and can ball. Number 31 has a good touch from 3 point range but just could not get going last night. Your big guy is a good defender, he just needs some work on the offensive side to become the complete package. I'm not sure what the Technical was all about but your coach seems like a great guy and a good coach. With all that being said I for one would like to wish Waverly all the luck in the world. Only you guys know just how good you really are and don't let no one tell you otherwise. Maybe with a little luck we can meet again in two weeks. If that happens I hope we can all act a little better including myself! Take care and good luck.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that the last two posts make the most sense. It's a big game, emotions run high on all sides. Fortunately, time and a little rest take the edge away. Afan and smokeyvol intelligently summed up what an exciting game took place last night. You had the district champs, the two district regular season MVPs playing, and a packed house to view it all. The game was built up to be a trackmeet, but it turned into a defensive battle. Give both teams their due. The 'money' players did their job and the role players did theirs. Both teams made runs and neither stopped playing hard until the horn sounded. Both teams should be proud of their efforts. It is a shame someone had to lose in a game like this. Giles proved that it has what it takes to ward off challengers in big games and Waverly proved that it belonged in the same gym as Giles. If you did not see it, you sure missed one heck of a game. Good luck to both teams on Monday night. thumb

I'm not a Giles fan tiger...  But I'm curious...  How many times have you seen tyler play?  lol..  his shot was off last night....  that was obvious..  but all the greats have off nights....  I can remember seein larry bird go 2 for 16 from 3 land back in the day...  Does that mean if you were only at that game then he was overrated because he had an off night?  No, you have to look at his stats or watch a handful of games to see for yourself..  Tyler is averaging just under 40% from beyond the arch this year w/ around 40 3's...  He's also the most athletic kid in the state...  W/ all that being said, he still has off nights...  Ask Brandan Wright how overrated Tyler Smith is and see what his reply is...  They have played 4 times now and have a good knowledge of each other's game! 

As for Waverly...  I give them major props for last night...  They played much better than they showed against Loretto and Lewis Co.!!  Ricco couldn't shoot at all in both of those games...  He did ok against Loretto but couldn't hit a shot against Lewis...  But his speed was impressive in both of those outings...  Against Giles was a different story...  He knew that for them to have a chance he would have to create, which is what he did...  He wasn't able to show off w/ his handles like against the 2 former opponents because Coffey and Smith didn't allow it..  However, when he was manned up against anyone else he took advantage of it and took them to the rack...  And his shots were falling, when they needed to be...  That's a good sign for waverly....  If he can play like that against Bolivar and #31 (i think that was his number)  is hitting from deep then they can keep it close.....  I also like the game of the kid that wears the headband...  He's a hard nose baller as well as #42 (red)...  He did everything he could while guarding Tyler including holding onto his jersey and shorts, lol...  More power to him, if the refs aren't saying anything about it then do what you gotta do...  He was also pulling down rebounds left and right, i love that!

825601622[/snapback]

well said i couldn't agree with you any more

I have a question for all you waverly fans saying tyler smith and giles county are over rated..if you talk all this trash sayin they are over rated then whats that make your team and your best player? i dont understand your point of sayin this, its a fact giles county is a great team, just because smith didnt score 25+ like usual doesnt mean he is over rated. and didnt we all say 49 points wasnt enoguh to beat giles county??!

825601545[/snapback]

The fact remains that Giles won the basketball game and was tested. Waverly is not the better team, but played well enough for those on here to give them credit. To say that Giles simply had a "bad game" is a little demeaning. Waverly played their butts off and came up short to better talent. With that said, I can tell you that Smith is an incredible talent, but by seeing him play numerous times I do know that he needs to improve a few aspects of his game in order to become a legit force in D-1. First he needs to have a better court demeanor, second his outside shot is suspect, and third his work ethic at both ends needs to improve. When you are 6'6" and have a 40" vertical it is easy to look dominant. I wish him the best and all others in Giles good luck with Humbolt. I hope you guys realize that you played a quality opponent in Waverly and leave it at that.

William H. Bonnie

• 2 weeks later...
The fact remains that Giles won the basketball game and was tested.  Waverly is not the better team, but played well enough for those on here to give them credit.  To say that Giles simply had a "bad game" is a little demeaning.  Waverly played their butts off and came up short to better talent.  With that said, I can tell you that Smith is an incredible talent, but by seeing him play numerous times I do know that he needs to improve a few aspects of his game in order to become a legit force in D-1.  First he needs to have a better court demeanor, second his outside shot is suspect, and third his work ethic at both ends needs to improve.  When you are 6'6" and have a 40" vertical it is easy to look dominant.  I wish him the best and all others in Giles good luck with Humbolt.  I hope you guys realize that you played a quality opponent in Waverly and leave it at that.

William H. Bonnie

825607694[/snapback]

I JUST GOT ON HERE AND READ THIS! TYLER WAS GUARDED BUY ALOT OF PLAYERS IN THAT TOURNEMENT! I AIN'T NEVER SEEN SO MANY PEOPLE TALK ABOUT A PLAYER! LEBRON, TRACY, MICHEAL, AND E.T.C ALL HAVE AIR BALLED! WORK HARD AND YOUR SHOT WILL COME! ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS RESPECT THE GAME!