Weekend Scores

Redtwin

More DII teams should schedule DI games. Shouldn't every program aspire to get better? Well, the only way to get better is to play the best and learn from the best.

I'm not sure Ravenwood has any expectations of beating MBA. They are a long way from being on the level of the big 3. A team full of athletic sophmores doesn't have the experience or the size of a well-coach MBA team. Still, if they can get out there and hang with the big boys, whether this year or 2 years from now, it only means lacrosse is getting better all across the state.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More DII teams should schedule DI games.  Shouldn't every program aspire to get better?  Well, the only way to get better is to play the best and learn from the best. 

I'm not sure Ravenwood has any expectations of beating MBA.  They are a long way from being on the level of the big 3.  A team full of athletic sophmores doesn't have the experience or the size of a well-coach MBA team.  Still, if they can get out there and hang with the big boys, whether this year or 2 years from now, it only means lacrosse is getting better all across the state.

825611654[/snapback]

thats just what I said when every DII guy on here took it upon themselves to vent on me. I fully agree and hope that is whats happening.

All anyone on here is saying to respect DII. I never said that Ravenwood can or could beat MBA. I said they would be competetive witht DI in general today, and will be competitive in two years. I dont think Ravenwood can be competitive with the Big 3 and I dont think that they can beat them in two years. Although they will be very competitive and I would like to see it. Again you two have no idea about the skill level of Ravenwood, only assumptions you have made about them. I am saying don't make assumptions. We all know why.

The main difference between DI and DII is depth. The best players in DII are comparable to players in DI it is just the lack of depth that prevents DII teams from being competitive. Realize I am only talking about the top tier DII cause there are teams that are not good at all.

My take on Tennessee lacrosse. 10-15 years ago the difference in public and private was noticeable but not a large gap. 4-8 years ago the gap got a lot bigger and it was difficult for any public school to challenge. now within the last couple of years the gap is again getting smaller with the big 3 still ahead but the top public (DII) teams able to play with some DI teams. I think Tennessee lacrosse is developed enough that good programs will come and go with the variance that happens with other sports with the strong programs continuing to have dominance (like other sports, where the big three find success). Or at least thats what I hope TN lacrosse will become.

I would agree with brentwood 29. From what I've seen of DI vs. DII right now, there are clearly several DII players that could hang with some of the best of DI. They play with them during the summer or in camps and more than hold their own. Stick skills, awareness, and strategies are improving rapidly with this group.

Where the difference shows is the number of "good" players on a good DI teams first line is usually better from end to end than the best DII's. Second and third lines DII doesn't match up. But the depth now in DII is the best I've seen in years.

What I'm seeing with DII is that a number of public middle schools have or are starting teams, so a 'feeder" group is moving up. The level of play in DII has gotten better and better. Coaching is uneven and will always be so. Right now, I'd venture to say the better DII teams are comparable to just below the Big 3.

It is a constant struggle at DII, but it has gotten a lot better the last few years. There are now "programs" at DII where in the past there were just a few teams.