CPA vs. Westmoreland

Catalyst

no offense to cpa or westmoreland, but how did these 2 teams make it to state?  i watched all 6 games yesterday and i can say without hesitation that this was the sloppiest game of the day.  i'm not taking anything away from cpa, but i hope y'all just had an 'off' nite.  if u want to keep the peabody game close you'll have to play a lot better than you did yesterday.  anyways, congratulations on making it to the 'buro and good luck friday.

i'm out...

825613199[/snapback]

I have seen Westmoreland play several games this year and they are a much better team then what showed up yesterday. Looked like only a couple of players came ready to play. they gave Clarkrange all they wanted in the Region Finals and if they had hit Free throws it would have been closer. So look out for them next year . The Freshman class will be Soph. along with a couple of Juniors and only one Senior .

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Slick10, a little luck and a lot of heart got CPA to state just like teams every year. I can tell you the whole school is enjoying this opportunity. Win or lose tomorrow, we are proud of our girls' efforts. We look forward to it, we get out of school early (every kid's dream), we go eat in Murfreesboro, and we yell for our girls during the game. If they win we whoop it up; if they lose we're still happy for the time. It's a great memory to take away from it all. Our school is a family, and we enjoy every minute of it. Good luck to Peabody. Hope you can enjoy the ride at least a fraction of how much we will.

The easiest road to the state is by way of East Tennessee.  Next, would playing the Chattanooga area teams.  CPA's district has to play your fine district in the

sectionals (normally, you do not consider that easy).

825613044[/snapback]

Let's examine CPA's road to the Boro':

In the district tournament they faced in the first round Ezell-Harding and won by 5 points. 5 points is all that separates them from being out in the first round of district and in the state tournament. Then they face DCA in the semi's and get killed before facing FRA in the consolation game and losing to them for the 3rd time this year. Thus, they are 4th coming out of their district.

Then in regionals, they get possibly the best draw ever for a 4th seed. They get Davidson Academy, who was one of the weakest #1 seeds from any district in Tennessee, simply because they played no one all year but DCA. Then they get Goodpasture (a team that they match up well with) and win by 4. Then they lose to FRA for the 4th time this year by 1 in a game where they had to stall to keep it close.

Then the Lady Lions get the luckiest break they've had all year when Wayne County makes a miracle run in the 6A regionals by upseting Richland, Perry County, and then Summertown in the finals. Had Summertown won that game, CPA would once again be sitting at home and FRA would be at state. But, fate was on their side once again, and Wayne County, a team that had not beaten Perry County or Summertown once that year (0-5 against them), beats both Perry County and Summertown and thus got to hold CPA at Wayne County (another team around CPA's playing level). So the Lady Lions win that turnover plagued game by 3 and advance to the state tournament where they get to play....

Westmoreland. Now Westmoreland is a good team, but they didn't show up to play and they seemed to have been like a deer in headlights once the hit the Murphy Center floor. So, once again CPA pulls off another one which now leads them to a matchup against.....

Trenton Peabody. If they pull off the win, then I will be the first to get on here and call them the greatest 1A surprise of the year, because they will be. However, this is a CPA team that has had the easiest road to the state tournament of all the teams that made it there. The East was somewhat easy, but CPA has yet to play a team that is really all that strong since their district tournament. The stars have just aligned for them the right way is all. Not saying that's a bad thing, as if I was them, I would most certainly have taken all the breaks that they have gotten along the way. They have played good ball at tournament time (at least good enough to win against the teams that they have played) and that is to be commended. Not trying to take anything away from them, just stating the facts. Good luck to them--maybe they will pull off the biggest upset of the year on Friday.

Ptguard12, I barely finished my last post and then you make a point. I'm sure we can look at boys' and girls' teams every single year and find the same senario of teams that "luck up" to make it to state. Give it a rest. CPA is in, and it's the most fun we'll have until spring break. It's a party to us no matter what happens. Good luck to Coach O and all the girls. Kristin, Emily, and Brittany...GREAT SENIOR MEMORIES !!

Ptguard12, I barely finished my last post and then you make a point. I'm sure we can look at boys' and girls' teams every single year and find the same senario of teams that "luck up" to make it to state. Give it a rest. CPA is in, and it's the most fun we'll have until spring break. It's a party to us no matter what happens. Good luck to Coach O and all the girls. Kristin, Emily, and Brittany...GREAT SENIOR MEMORIES !!

825613742[/snapback]

I had no intention of bringing up CPA's "luckiness" until Krich tried to "poke fun at me" because I had said earlier in the year that CPA was "average." Now granted, Krich was trying to make Unaka look better by saying that they lost to a final 4 state tournament team, but I just wanted to point out exactly how they reached that final 4 spot. I'm glad ya'll are enjoying the ride and its good that the students are joining in on the fun. I hope this is a great memory for you all as I fondly remember all of the state tournaments that I was involved in. Enjoy this time by all means.

In the district tournament they faced in the first round Ezell-Harding and won by 5 points.  5 points is all that separates them from being out in the first round of district and in the state tournament.  Then they face DCA in the semi's and get killed before facing FRA in the consolation game and losing to them for the 3rd time this year.  Thus, they are 4th coming out of their district.

Then in regionals, they get possibly the best draw ever for a 4th seed.  They get Davidson Academy, who was one of the weakest #1 seeds from any district in Tennessee, simply because they played no one all year but DCA.  Then they get Goodpasture (a team that they match up well with) and win by 4.  Then they lose to FRA for the 4th time this year by 1 in a game where they had to stall to keep it close.

Then the Lady Lions get the luckiest break they've had all year when Wayne County makes a miracle run in the 6A regionals by upseting Richland, Perry County, and then Summertown in the finals.  Had Summertown won that game, CPA would once again be sitting at home and FRA would be at state.  But, fate was on their side once again, and Wayne County, a team that had not beaten Perry County or Summertown once that year (0-5 against them), beats both Perry County and Summertown and thus got to hold CPA at Wayne County (another team around CPA's playing level).  So the Lady Lions win that turnover plagued game by 3 and advance to the state tournament where they get to play....

Westmoreland.  Now Westmoreland is a good team, but they didn't show up to play and they seemed to have been like a deer in headlights once the hit the Murphy Center floor.  So, once again CPA pulls off another one which now leads them to a matchup against.....

Trenton Peabody.  If they pull off the win, then I will be the first to get on here and call them the greatest 1A surprise of the year, because they will be.  However, this is a CPA team that has had the easiest road to the state tournament of all the teams that made it there.  The East was somewhat easy, but CPA has yet to play a team that is really all that strong since their district tournament.  The stars have just aligned for them the right way is all.  Not saying that's a bad thing, as if I was them, I would most certainly have taken all the breaks that they have gotten along the way.  They have played good ball at tournament time (at least good enough to win against the teams that they have played) and that is to be commended.  Not trying to take anything away from them, just stating the facts.  Good luck to them--maybe they will pull off the biggest upset of the year on Friday.

825613732[/snapback]

All of this started with a poorly called game in which Ezell Harding was beaten by the referees in their district tournament game against CPA. Although, admittedly, Ezell was not as strong as every other year, their opportunity to advance into the region tournament was taken away by poor officiating rather than a well-prepared CPA team. I feel betternow that I have gotten that off my chest.

All of this started with a poorly called game in which Ezell Harding was beaten by the referees in their district tournament game against CPA.  Although, admittedly, Ezell was not as strong as every other year, their opportunity to advance into the region tournament was taken away by poor officiating rather than a well-prepared CPA team.  I feel betternow that I have gotten that off my chest.

825613863[/snapback]

You go boy! Ezell in '06 and '07

Go Lady Eagles! thumb

In the district tournament they faced in the first round Ezell-Harding and won by 5 points.  5 points is all that separates them from being out in the first round of district and in the state tournament.  Then they face DCA in the semi's and get killed before facing FRA in the consolation game and losing to them for the 3rd time this year.  Thus, they are 4th coming out of their district.

Then in regionals, they get possibly the best draw ever for a 4th seed.  They get Davidson Academy, who was one of the weakest #1 seeds from any district in Tennessee, simply because they played no one all year but DCA.  Then they get Goodpasture (a team that they match up well with) and win by 4.  Then they lose to FRA for the 4th time this year by 1 in a game where they had to stall to keep it close.

Then the Lady Lions get the luckiest break they've had all year when Wayne County makes a miracle run in the 6A regionals by upseting Richland, Perry County, and then Summertown in the finals.  Had Summertown won that game, CPA would once again be sitting at home and FRA would be at state.  But, fate was on their side once again, and Wayne County, a team that had not beaten Perry County or Summertown once that year (0-5 against them), beats both Perry County and Summertown and thus got to hold CPA at Wayne County (another team around CPA's playing level).  So the Lady Lions win that turnover plagued game by 3 and advance to the state tournament where they get to play....

Westmoreland.  Now Westmoreland is a good team, but they didn't show up to play and they seemed to have been like a deer in headlights once the hit the Murphy Center floor.  So, once again CPA pulls off another one which now leads them to a matchup against.....

Trenton Peabody.  If they pull off the win, then I will be the first to get on here and call them the greatest 1A surprise of the year, because they will be.  However, this is a CPA team that has had the easiest road to the state tournament of all the teams that made it there.  The East was somewhat easy, but CPA has yet to play a team that is really all that strong since their district tournament.  The stars have just aligned for them the right way is all.  Not saying that's a bad thing, as if I was them, I would most certainly have taken all the breaks that they have gotten along the way.  They have played good ball at tournament time (at least good enough to win against the teams that they have played) and that is to be commended.  Not trying to take anything away from them, just stating the facts.  Good luck to them--maybe they will pull off the biggest upset of the year on Friday.

825613732[/snapback]

So what you are saying is not only is CPA lucky but several other teams were unlucky. It is a tournament, where on any night a good team can be upset.

CPA is the Cinderella of this tournament and they know that. They play hard with a lot of heart and deserve the games they win. Good Luck Lady Lions!

CPA is definitely wearing the slipper because I've seen Westmoreland play several times this year and I've covered them for the newspaper since the beginning of the region tournament and I will say that is by far the sloppiest game that they have played. CPA is a team with average talent with the exception of Lee who is solid, but they are a team that has picked the right time to be playing maybe over there heads. No disrespect, they work hard and they seem to be a good bunch of ladies which speaks volumes about their character. But with the way Westmoreland played, especially coming off an emotionally draining victory over Chattanooga Christian, I think CPA got a gift.

divepix,

First I essentially agree with your post. You write very well.

But most importantly, I'm just glad to see you back in the world. I hope that this means that we can *respectively* get back to doing what we do best: Agreeing or Disagreeing like the gentleman you are.

WELCOME BACK, divepix!