Science Hill/Oak Ridge Game

Anthony17

Oak Ridge easily wins.. I believe the final score was 79-65 but at times they were ahead by about 20.

Some thoughts:

Science Hill keep pressing and it really hurt them as they only forced a couple of turnovers. OR ball handlers were to good to let it bother them. That allowed plenty of easy baskets. Science Hill had pretty weak post play . Most of their points were from slashes to the basket. OR just had too many weapons, including going 9 for 13 from the arc as well as dominating from the post.

Edited by Anthony17

Two galleries of pics from this game are in the CoachT photo gallery. I have uploaded another set and they should be online sometime this morning. I will add a couple more galleries this evening. Good pics of a great game thumb

UPDATE: 03/09 OK finally four galleries are loaded onto the CoachT Photo Gallery for Oak Ridge

Edited by OakRidgeCat

I'm a middle tennessee boy and headed up to the ridge to see an old coach, hated to see him lose, but oak ridge has a heck of a club. Don't know what they did during the regular season but i dont know if anyone in the state could have beat em last night...that post player in the middle (the big white kid) he knows how to use his body and could give a lot of teams a lot of trouble along with the rangy number 3 i think it was....kid could jump and has good mobility.......enjoyed watchin that east tennessee ball better than i did middle tennessee--good luck oak ridge

I'm a middle tennessee boy and headed up to the ridge to see an old coach, hated to see him lose, but oak ridge has a heck of a club.  Don't know what they did during the regular season but i dont know if anyone in the state could have beat em last night...that post player in the middle (the big white kid) he knows how to use his body and could give a lot of teams a lot of trouble along with the rangy number 3 i think it was....kid could jump and has good mobility.......enjoyed watchin that east tennessee ball better than i did middle tennessee--good luck oak ridge

825609454[/snapback]

The big post (Mullholand, I think) was dominant. Lack of rotation on the half court trap left OR's shooters open, and they made them. When the defense did rotate, Mulholand pinned the much smaller "big men" of science hill, and his teammates were unselfish and got him the ball underneath. The dagger to the heart was OR coming out 7-7 to start the third quarter. No time out from the Science Hill bench, and 4 straight possesions of jacking up threes made that lead get even bigger. Wattad played his typical game (18 points 8 boards) as did McKinney, but there was just a sense of urgency the whole game on the Science Hill side. My advice to the toppers is hit the weight room. if you are going to use a 6'2" center he';d better be a heavy guy or taller bigger guys will continue to dominate science hill. Besides the regional loss to TN high every team SH lost to had a dominant post player. (Oak ridge-Mullholland, DB- Lamond Williams, Meridian's center (forget his name), Benjamin Mays- Rashad Chase, and Brentwood- Brandan Wright)

I'm a middle tennessee boy and headed up to the ridge to see an old coach, hated to see him lose, but oak ridge has a heck of a club.  Don't know what they did during the regular season but i dont know if anyone in the state could have beat em last night...that post player in the middle (the big white kid) he knows how to use his body and could give a lot of teams a lot of trouble along with the rangy number 3 i think it was....kid could jump and has good mobility.......enjoyed watchin that east tennessee ball better than i did middle tennessee--good luck oak ridge

825609454[/snapback]

That #3 you refer to is Dowdell and he's a true freshman. The short guy constantly feeding Daniels-Mulholland ("the big white kid") with the bounce passes was Stephens (another freshman). So much for anyone thinking their success will end this year!

those two kids were freshmen????? holy cow..oak ridge has a lot to look forward to in the future!!!! like i said before i was pulling for science hill with coach cutlip being a former coach, but gained a lot of respect for oak ridge, a team i had other wise never known..........played hard and smart, and did things right...i didnt SEE a lot of trash talking or taunting, just goin out and getting the job done......as for state---lets go oak ridge, put it to those high flying west tennessee teams, and best of luck in the future--you guys have gained a fan!!!!

Dowdwell and Stephens are very good. Stephens is a little short, but very quick. Dowdwell has good post moves, and is strong. I have asked before, but, how tall is Quinche now?

825610519[/snapback]

He's listed as 6'-3" and thats pretty accurate compared to most players who add 1-2 inches.

Bear - I hate to say this but I believe Science Hill also got outcoached. After the 1/2 OR made the right adjustments with the way they moved their players to set up the 3, where'as SH just kept resorting to their full court press which was actually counterproductive for them.

i agree somewhat----the hill was kind of handcuffed when oak ridge came out and was 7 for 7 to start the half. Not sure what presses he has that team running but like you said, in a way it was counterproductive because oak ridge beat it time and time again...........outcoached?? maybe, dont know what adjustments were made and what was said, and ya gotta give a lot of credit to the players. oak ridge did what they needed to do in the second half and from experience when your down to a team like that you gotta try and create turnovers, the ridge's guards got the job done!!