2 ????? about the vols, vandy and memphis

1 how to keep recruits instate

2 why do they leave

most of vanderbilt players that are from tennessee come from private schools

except mario moore mainly because of admission stanards

memphis does more national recruiting but do keep some memphis kids

3 tennessee players that the vols have are from memphis except for smith

and dotson buzz has had a tough time keeping players instate

another reason wanting to play for a winning program like kentucky north carolina

duke florida

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, you have to ask yourself "why stay in Tennessee?" If a prospect is THAT good, what does any Tennessee school have to offer to beat another large program.

Memphis is a basketball talent factory, but they're not an academic factory.

If a kid is a stud player and an even bigger academic stud, odds are he's going to go to a better academic program as opposed to a better athletic program. If a player is smart enough to pass at Vandy, MIT, or the like, he's probably smart enough to know whether or not he has a shot at the pros. If there's no shot at the pros, why bother playing for a high end athletic school when you could get a $150k degree from Vandy or some school like that?

Tennessee has to have something to offer local talent.

As mentioned before, Tennessee is starting to become a downhill program. They have so many athletes but they don't play smart. Hopefully Tyler, Matthew, and maybe Jamont can turn that program around.

Memphis is a hotbed for basketball talent. The only thing that hurts Memphis is their academics. Losing Sean Banks was a big loss for the team, but Darius Washington has become more aggressive. He's one of the top freshman in the nation.

Vanderbilt can't close on the elite caliber players because the academic standards are too high. That's not a knock on Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt recruits more of the student-athletes, which is what the NCAA needs more than anything.

For Memphis kids, there are a lot of elite schools that are closer to Memphis than Knoxville, which is a good 6 hours away. It's not really a negative that Tennessee can't get a lot of Memphis players - it's just a long drive and that certainly turns some players off. Memphis has never been what you would call a "Tennessee" town. There are strong factions of Memphis, Arkansas, Alabama, and Ole Miss fans and boosters there that sort of make it a divided city when it comes to college loyalty. I'm not an expert on geography, but I would guess that the Delks won't have to do much extra driving to get to Starkville as opposed to Knoxville.

It was a good sign for Tennessee to get Tyler Smith and Matthew Dotson. Jamont Gordon would really round that class out. Keeping the best in-state players is crucial, however. Certainly there are a lot of good in-state players (not from Memphis) in the past few years that would have helped Tennessee.

First off it's too hard for too many people to get into vandy.Nobody with too much sense wants to go play for Buzz right now.Memphis does not get as many players as they used to get from Memphis primarly because Calipari has no ties to Memphis so does not go as in depth with the recruting there as their previous coaches.But if i am from Tn and i am a pretty good recruit who wants to stay in state i'm going to Memphis first and if not there i would go to vandy if i were smart enough. The vols are really lacking right now and there future is uncertain as far as who will be running that program.

I am shocked that more kids do not go to Tennessee. In basketball you can sometimes need 1 stud and another decent player to contend (ex. Syracuse with Carmelo Anthony). I would think a kid with major talent from TN would at least look at the Vols. Just think what a major prospect in a year or two at UT, as pitiful as it is now, could do for not only his stock but the school. Not that this would happen, but think what Brandon Wright would do for UT. He instantly brings them credibility and talent. He also makes them a threat in the SEC. If he does half the job Mello did at Syracuse (which means sweet 16 in his Freshman year since Anthony won the title) his stock in my opinion would go up. To see a guy take a losing team and lead them as a Freshman, in my view a pro scout would love that attitude. But who wants to be overshadowed by Big Phil and the soon to be coach with the most wins in basketball history.