TN Recruits

mjuhb

I am shocked that more kids do not go to Tennessee. In basketball you can sometimes need 1 stud and another decent player to contend (ex. Syracuse with Carmelo Anthony). I would think a kid with major talent from TN would at least look at the Vols. Just think what a major prospect in a  year or two at UT, as pitiful as it is now, could do for not only his stock but the school. Not that this would happen, but think what Brandon Wright would do for UT. He instantly brings them credibility and talent. He also makes them a threat in the SEC. If he does half the job Mello did at Syracuse (which means sweet 16 in his Freshman year since Anthony won the title) his stock in my opinion would go up. To see a guy take a losing team and lead them as a Freshman, in my view a pro scout would love that attitude. But who wants to be overshadowed by Big Phil and the soon to be coach with the most wins in basketball history.

825617442[/snapback]

Carmelo wasn't the only stud on that roster. Don't forget about these two kids named Gerry McNamara and Hakim Warrick, there studs by themselves.

If I was top recruit, UT would never cross my mind. It's not a basketball school, probably never will be. Kids want to go to big-time, nationally competitive, TV schools. They want to be in the spotlight, playing every game televised, and compete for a national championship. Clearly, you won't get that at UT. When you think college basketball, UT is probably the last thing that comes to your mind.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carmelo wasn't the only stud on that roster. Don't forget about these two kids named Gerry McNamara and Hakim Warrick, there studs by themselves.

If I was top recruit, UT would never cross my mind. It's not a basketball school, probably never will be. Kids want to go to big-time, nationally competitive, TV schools. They want to be in the spotlight, playing every game televised, and compete for a national championship. Clearly, you won't get that at UT. When you think college basketball, UT is probably the last thing that comes to your mind.

825617452[/snapback]

You are clearly right on UT's basketball program. I look at 2 schools as example, Kentucky and Tennessee. One's football program seemingly is going nowhere and the other's basketball program is doing the same. I'll let readers decide which is which. Is it hopeless for either school? I think not. Both scools will have to change their mindset though. These second class programs are at first class universities and there is no excuse these schools can't field competive programs in both sports. I was sorry that Buzz was fired but not surprised. I hope Mr. Hamilton and the board doesn't go out and pick a one year wonder. Maybe this is the year that Coach Summitt takes the plunge into the mens game and Gleason native Ashley McElhiney takes over the womens program. Just an idea.

You are clearly right on UT's basketball program. I look at 2 schools as example, Kentucky and Tennessee. One's football program seemingly is going nowhere and the other's basketball program is doing the same. I'll let readers decide which is which. Is it hopeless for either school? I think not. Both scools will have to change their mindset though. These second class programs are at first class universities and there is no excuse these schools can't field competive programs in both sports. I was sorry that Buzz was fired but not surprised. I hope Mr. Hamilton and the board doesn't go out and pick a one year wonder. Maybe this is the year that Coach Summitt takes the plunge into the mens game and Gleason native Ashley McElhiney takes over the womens program. Just an idea.

825618082[/snapback]

Tough chance I don't think Coach Summitt will give up her position anytime soon, why would she, she already has one of the best teams in women's basketball. Sounds like a easy decision to me.

Edited by rufus22

If it is recognition players won't their best choice would be a basketball powerhouse such as Duke or Kentucky, but if it's playing time their best bet is a sub par team such as Tennessee.

825618157[/snapback]

If you have talent and the desire and hustle to play, you will get PT anywhere. UK starts two freshmen, the other 2 are 6th and 7th on the team in minutes.

First off it's too hard for too many people to get into vandy.Nobody with too much sense wants to go play for Buzz right now.Memphis does not get as many players as they used to get from Memphis primarly because Calipari has no ties to Memphis so does not go as in depth with the recruting there as their previous coaches.But if i am from Tn and i  am a pretty good recruit who wants to stay in state i'm going to Memphis first and if not there i would go to vandy if i were smart enough. The vols are really lacking right now and there future is uncertain as far as who will be running that program.

825617175[/snapback]

Calipari hasn't recruited Memphis hard because there hasn't been that much talent locally that can help that level of a program. That's changing next year.