Opinion on Referees

Muffin_Man11

I know some may disagree and some will defend, but do you feel like sometimes some referees takes sides kind of? For example, I was playing Cumberland yesterday, and the guy put his arm on my chest and pushed me back with it, and that's not even playing the ball...and I'm like what the...? And the ref was like, that's fine...then afterawards, someone elbowed my player and he barely shoved him back and he got a yellow card for it...and, one last thing...one of their players kicked and tackle our goalie after he had position of the ball and didn't get red carded...I just don't think this referee was being fair..but if you want to set me straight or have stories to share, then go for it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played in the Sweetwater Friendlies this past weekend. The refs were some of the worst I have seen. In my game against Sweetwater, one of the refs wore jeans. Against Soddy Daisy, I got blaitenly punched in the stomach right infront of the ref. In return, the ref yellow carded the other player and then the other player said I was "calling him names" so he yellow carded me too without hearing anything from me. In the final game against Notre Dame, I got carded for not backing off the ball "fast enough" after a foul. I was jogging back off the ball before the other team had even asked for it, and I received the card for "laughing as I did it." In response, the refs said the games were only scrimages. Does that mean they dont get paid? I dont think so.

well refs are like this some are good some are decent and some are just as awful as the come. i have reffed rec and travel ball for about 4 years now. is it just me or do you actually get to play soccer in travel compared to high school? meaning in travel there is contact and in highschool its opps i looked at him thats a foul (im joking hopefully you know what i mean). anyone else notice this? and also to sumone who has a clue on the subject why do some schools always get a 3 man system while other get the short stick 2 manned ones ??? i realize a shortage of refs could be the reason in that case why not go to fifa refs ??? im not looking to make one mad i just would like some answers.

and also to sumone who has a clue on the subject why do some schools always get a 3 man system while other get the short stick 2 manned ones ??? i realize a shortage of refs could be the reason in that case why not go to fifa refs ??? im not looking to make one mad i just would like some answers.

825619751[/snapback]

Refs around here get $50 a match. If you want to pay $150 instead of $100, you can have 3 at your matches. Think of the schools where you see 3. . . It comes down to finances.

Some refs are good, some are bad, but they all have poor games at some point. I think one thing that sometimes gets them into trouble is they let a few things slid then they kind of lose control of the game (They just there to be the final word- the coach should keep his players in line) and in an attempt to recover their authority they make calls that are iffy. I guess that makes sense. But one thing is for sure- Refs deserve a lot of credit. Most all the time at any given call one team or the other will be upset about it unless it’s a really blatant foul. They are human.

After playing several hundred games and watching at least that many, bad calls and bad refereeing even out. You need to be concerned about the 11 guys you're playing against, not the guy in the striped shirt. I have yet to see a ref kick a ball during a game, score or make a save. Getting on these boards whining about refs says more about you than about the refs.

I reffed a couple of summers when I was younger and I am looking forward to doing it after college. I think it actually helps my playing. A large part of the problem is that many of the refs in recreation, high school and even select never played soccer. Many of the guys are overweight and immobile. Whatever the quality of ref, I think the vast majority of these guys only want to do a good job and rarely are biased against a team. However, if you or your coach start getting in their faces, it's only human nature to react.

I agree that if teams go out and take care of business, then bad or even biased refs decisions will still be unable to influence the outcome.

However, having said that, to say that refs cannot and do not have an influence on the outcome of games at time would be naive. To say that refs do not show up at games with their minds already set against or for a certain team is not true either. To become a High School ref all you need is three references and to pass an open book test. Some of the refs that get certified have no idea or concept of the game.

Refs also do themselves a disservice from their lack of professionalism in their appearance and their conduct. Such as:

1. Showing up late for games

2. Dressed in blue jeans, tennis shoes, fishing caps, etc.

3. Using tobacco

4. Being overweight and out of shape

5. Cursing

One well respected coach in this state was invited to speak to a ref association about what things could be done to improve the relationship between coaches and refs and he told them that they need to act like they were interested in doing what they did as a ref out a love for the game and not just to make some more money for beer and cigarettes.

Here is the bottom line, if refs want the respect of the players and coaches, then they need to earn it by their appearnce, knowledge of the game, not reacting personally by challenges from the coach, etc. and have a sense of professionalism.