WHERE DO YOU SEE BASEBALL SCOUTS

Baseball Nutski

I remember last year when Alcoa and Loudon played in the region championship there were at least 20-25 scouts there to watch Aaron Everett from Loudon (UT) and Joey McCown from Alcoa (ETSU). Lol, that game now holds the state record for most combined strikeouts by two teams.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand both sides.maybe you could talk to the high school coach and explain your concerns.ask if he could enter the school summer team in more tournaments and maybe showcase or exposure tournaments.yea it is not the high school coaches job to get kids looked at,but why would he not want to help kids if he can.sometimes that coach is all a kid has.

uteevol, 42 scouts were at one game? You mean every Major League team had a scout and 12 colleges at one high school game? :(

825621377[/snapback]

I will vouch for nearly every MLB team being represented, possibly all of them, I didn't actually count, but you could tell there were quite a few there. I know that there were 4 head scouts from different organizations, including the Yankees. When I say head scout (there may be a different name for the position) but he pretty much has the final say in who is taken and when in the draft from what I understand. One scout told me that Bryan was 88-92 steady the entire game, touching higher on occasion, curve at 78-82. As for other colleges being there, I don't know why they would even waste there time showing up. He is either going to sign or headed to Motlow where his dad is a coach.

I will vouch for nearly every MLB team being represented, possibly all of them, I didn't actually count, but you could tell there were quite a few there. I know that there were 4 head scouts from different organizations, including the Yankees. When I say head scout (there may be a different name for the position) but he pretty much has the final say in who is taken and when in the draft from what I understand. One scout told me that Bryan was 88-92 steady the entire game, touching higher on occasion, curve at 78-82. As for other colleges being there, I don't know why they would even waste there time showing up. He is either going to sign or headed to Motlow where his dad is a coach.

825622239[/snapback]

Go PRO... dont waste ur time at motlow

I definetly believe that there was that many scouts there. From everybody I talked to there was 40+ there. The kid can really bring it. I can't wait until a few weeks when Morris and Vincent from CC go head to head. Morris first district game he struck out 15 and no hits and Vincent struck out 16 and gave up 2 hits....both of them will be around 90 all game. That will be a game to watch!

Thanks for the input. The coach might get mad, but my son is getting letters from people with showcase tournys and we are going. They are expensive, but college cost quite a bit more. He has four unsolicited letters from "showcase" people where he will get the most looks, so off we go. I agree also with other assesments that he should play with his school team. He will play with them when not out of town. Don't think the coach will bench him, he is starting on a high profile HS team this year as a soph. I"ll keep my fingers crossed.

825622239[/snapback]

Thats the bad thing about baseball. If he goes pro he will head straight to the minors which is really a drag after awhile I'm sure. If he decides to go to college I hope his dad isn't selfish enough to keep him out of a top ranked DI baseball program. Good luck to him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these scouts do not just show up at travel ball 'showcases' hoping a prospect will fall into their lap. They have dozens of tournaments that could choose from. How did they know to show up at this particular event? Major league scouts did not just show up in Tullahoma to see a kid pitch without knowing about him beforehand. My guess is a good high school coach with connections or a summer ball coach with connections made the initial contact. You can get as much out of a good high school summer program I would think in some areas. Where travel ball is king, that might be the place to go. If your son is a player, the scouts most certainly already know about him. My guess is the high school coach is pushing as many kids as the summer ball coach. I would think the high school coach would be understanding if the kid played for 2 teams if the high school team is not getting enough games. Our local high school has 48 summer games scheduled plus a few tournaments.

Thats the bad thing about baseball. If he goes pro he will head straight to the minors which is really a drag after awhile I'm sure. If he decides to go to college I hope his dad isn't selfish enough to keep him out of a top ranked DI baseball program. Good luck to him.

825624037[/snapback]

It's all about the signing bonus. If it is way up there, you need to take it. If not, go to college. If it is the pitcher you're talking about, the pros want them as young as they can get them. NOt the same for position players.

Oh yea, playing in the minors is not a "drag" unless you get stuck in them for several years. Then yea, you see your chances slipping away.

Edited by GLee

825624037[/snapback]

If Bryan goes to college, he will go to Motlow. That isn't being selfish on his dad's part. That is where Bryan wants to go. Besides, if he is a high pick this year and still goes to school, why would he want to go D1 and not be able to get drafted again for 3 years. It would be Bryan's decision on where he wants to go anyhow, not his dad's decision.

If Bryan goes to college, he will go to Motlow. That isn't being selfish on his dad's part. That is where Bryan wants to go. Besides, if he is a high pick this year and still goes to school, why would he want to go D1 and not be able to get drafted again for 3 years. It would be Bryan's decision on where he wants to go anyhow, not his dad's decision.

825624535[/snapback]

Your right. It's his decision where he will go to school. College is to prepare a young man or woman for their career. Lets see, my son wants to be a lawyer. Should I send him to Harvard or Columbia State. It's about developing into a Major League player. Where is he going to get better coaching (not knocking his dad, so sit down) where will he play with and against better competition. When was the last time Motlow won the College World Series? (again not knocking Motlow, lets be real here). B)