Hatch, we can't thank you enough.

TennWrestling

We in the Tennessee wrestling community are losing 2 of the most valuable workers in our state, Derek Harrison and Mike Hatcher.  Both have carried the work load for the Tenn. Wrestling Federation for the past several years.  Fortunitaly they both have agreed to finish the year with us, but then both are moving out of state.

Hatcher in particular has given more time, energy, money, and effort than any  person in our state for the past several years.  Put on climics, run tournaments, organized trips, coached; I can't even come close to all the things he has done for our sport and our kids.  It's not enough but all I can say is, "Hatch, thank you for all you have done and just say we have been so fortunite to have you in our state."

I almost titled this topic, "Tennessee wrestling at a cross road," now I will.  Since the beginning of the Tenn. Wrestling Federation, the state has been held together by people like G.P. West, Louise Davis, Al Miller, Doug Newman, Bobby Davenport and Tom Marable.  These leaders had their successes and disappointments, but most importantly they kept the organization going.  They are now retired.  Fortunately, along came Mike Hatcher, Garrett House, and Derek Harrison.  From Jordan Leen and Nick Marable, thru Elijah Oliver and Chris DeBien,we have all enjoyed the successes of these wrestlers, as a result of the work from these leaders.  Now the crisis or cross road; do we have a group of next generation leaders?  I hope so and encourage anyone out there to join in and help wrestling in our state.  Help is needed now, but the best way to join in is attend the state meeting next September.  The A.A.U. & T.W.F. have entered into a unique, promising and exciting agreement .  The A.A.U. has an organized and outstanding program for kids through the 8th grade.  The biggest need is now for our high school kids through the T.W.F.

Now if any wrestlers have read this essay, I challenge you. Do we have any wrestlers out there to follow the Marable's, Leen's, Oliver's and DeBien's?  What are you doing right now to get better in wrestling?  If you are not training and wrestling in the freestyle & Greco tournaments this spring, you are fooling yourself if you think you are getting better.  While you are resting, you are getting passed by others.  What should you do?  If you don't plan on wrestling Saturday, May 9, in the state Greco & freestyle tournament, don't plan on being on the stand next February.

The major issue with TWF is the lack of financing. You make money by hosting tournaments and with TWF only hosting Freestyle/Greco Roman tournaments they are only working with a 6 week (April 1-May 15) time frame to host tournaments. USA Wrestling provides kids with much more national exposure than AAU but with TWF being the State of Tennessee representative for USA Wrestling it's difficult for kids to receive the necessary exposure when it cost $1000.00+ to be on one of the national duals teams and another $1000.00+ to compete at the USA Wrestling Cadet/Junior Nationals in Fargo, ND. I am not questioning the cost to compete in the big national events as I understand it's expensive and a summer of wrestling could cost a family in excess of $4000.00. The ideal situation would be for AAU in Tennessee and TWF to form some type of partnership so that some of the cost may be defrayed and more kids have the opportunity to compete on a national level. There is no debating the fact that AAU in Tennessee should have the larger check book just based on the number of tournaments they host, the number of participants that enter the tournaments and the number of months they host tournaments. Everyone that has been around for any amount of time understands that TWF probably dropped the headgear 20+ years ago by not hosting youth folkstyle tournaments. However it's time for the turf war to stop and for everyone to do what is best for wrestling in Tennessee and the kids.

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1