Who hates having the Super 32?

riverrat

Its got a lot more to do with potential students than actual #s. Small schools located  in a huge drawing base is the deal.

Precisely, but the question is how do we measure that drawing base and especially on a public school level where there is no control over the talent that is coming in?  (I don't know the answer, I would love to hear theories on that.  Maybe a multiplier based off of the total population of that school's territory?  If the TSSAA wants to start paying me so I can work for them full time then I would figure that one out! lol)

The classes aren't that different though from one to the next.  For example, I am looking at numbers now and the average power rating in 1A this year is 86.16 compared to the average 2A power rating on 90.90.  That is a difference of 4 points, which is not that much in the game of football.  The deviation in 1A is 18.23 points and the deviation in 2A is 15.14 points.  So, if you take out the outliers at the top which is perfectly the top 10 schools in each class then the top of 1A actually has a higher average power rating than 2A at about 114 to 112.  On top of that, it looks like enrollment numbers are all over the board amongst those top 10 schools in each class. 

I haven't dug in too deep yet, but initial thoughts after looking at the numbers are that the balance of power wouldn't shift too much if we were a little more flex on enrollment and made it more about combining enrollment and travel to make equal classifications and regions with no more than 7 schools in each region.   

I am really going to dig into these figures and see what enrollment has to do with the power of the football team in the off season, it's just too much fun for me.  As I stated, it is a factor but not as much as we factor it into the classifications currently.  I grew up in a state where my graduating class alone would have been in the upper level of the 4A schools in TN based off of the enrollment figures.  The enrollment figures vary much more in other state's classifications and the balance of power is still about the same as ours. 

Edited by LazIndexTN

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Precisely, but the question is how do we measure that drawing base and especially on a public school level where there is no control over the talent that is coming in?  (I don't know the answer, I would love to hear theories on that.  Maybe a multiplier based off of the total population of that school's territory?  If the TSSAA wants to start paying me so I can work for them full time then I would figure that one out! lol)

The classes aren't that different though from one to the next.  For example, I am looking at numbers now and the average power rating in 1A this year is 86.16 compared to the average 2A power rating on 90.90.  That is a difference of 4 points, which is not that much in the game of football.  The deviation in 1A is 18.23 points and the deviation in 2A is 15.14 points.  So, if you take out the outliers at the top which is perfectly the top 10 schools in each class then the top of 1A actually has a higher average power rating than 2A at about 114 to 112.  On top of that, it looks like enrollment numbers are all over the board amongst those top 10 schools in each class. 

I haven't dug in too deep yet, but initial thoughts after looking at the numbers are that the balance of power wouldn't shift too much if we were a little more flex on enrollment and made it more about combining enrollment and travel to make equal classifications and regions with no more than 7 schools in each region.   

I am really going to dig into these figures and see what enrollment has to do with the power of the football team in the off season, it's just too much fun for me.  As I stated, it is a factor but not as much as we factor it into the classifications currently.  I grew up in a state where my graduating class alone would have been in the upper level of the 4A schools in TN based off of the enrollment figures.  The enrollment figures vary much more in other state's classifications and the balance of power is still about the same as ours. 

Note to TSSAA,give the man a job. You understand the situation quite well.

Note to TSSAA,give the man a job. You understand the situation quite well.

That would be so much fun!  Don't get me wrong, I love what I do currently, but I was born to work in sports at some capacity and I think a position like that would be right up my alley considering the numbers and geography background.  I may need to pursue that, what do they pay? hahaha

That would be so much fun!  Don't get me wrong, I love what I do currently, but I was born to work in sports at some capacity and I think a position like that would be right up my alley considering the numbers and geography background.  I may need to pursue that, what do they pay? hahaha

You would be a great hire but the truth is they don't want to address the situation. All they really want is Money and they are racking up.

Seems as if there could be a good way of combining school size, strength of the program (not just 1 year, more like previous four), and locations to get the "fairest" system possible.

Thats the most ignorant thing ever said......strength of program?? Really? So you penalize sp cause they are good year in and year out? I say just split classes evenly and may the best man win. If someone wants to move up, then the bottom moves down a class to take their spot.

Thats the most ignorant thing ever said......strength of program?? Really? So you penalize sp cause they are good year in and year out? I say just split classes evenly and may the best man win. If someone wants to move up, then the bottom moves down a class to take their spot.

I agree, you can't include program history in reclassification, after all we are talking about the public school system where recruiting is not "supposed to" take place technically. I think it strictly should take into account enrollment, location, and possibly territory.size/population to some degree. If a team wants to move up like Maryville, Alcoa, and Memphis East then they should have the ability to do so. I will definitely do some work on this reclassification in the offseason to see what I can come up with. Looking forward to comparing season ending power rating vs. enrollment size as well to see that correlation!

Edited by LazIndexTN

Yes an even split by numbers would be best but for.some that's not enough. Using strength/size together might prevent a team from moving over its head. Any open zone, private schools like Brentwood Academy might eventually move to the top, if such a system started it ought to include all private schools.

Edited by Indian

So is Indian saying that all the good programs regardless of size play together? Or the small programs that are weak are considered 1A? LMBO

With about 340 football playing schools in the state, 6 classes would work well (all private schools, McCallie etc). 8 regions in each, about 7 teams in each region. SP would probably start in 2A. Or have a rule where teams can only go up 1 class at the start unless it's by choice. After a few years things would work themselves out.

With about 340 football playing schools in the state, 6 classes would work well (all private schools, McCallie etc). 8 regions in each, about 7 teams in each region. SP would probably start in 2A. Or have a rule where teams can only go up 1 class at the start unless it's by choice. After a few years things would work themselves out.

So, it sounds like you're suggesting a promotion/relegation system. That just wouldn't work with graduation of students. A team could then move up a classification, graduate all of their talent, and they would then get crushed the next season. It just doesn't work at the high school level.