Gary Rankin & George Quarles

BoardHater71

Rankin thought he had the job at Valdosta Ga all sewed up. Did until a gentleman that went by 2priceless contacted them about some things. Then Rankin tried Hoover and BA in the private ranks. NONE of them hired him. ANY of these hiring him would have allowed him to draw his Tn retirement and a new paycheck. GREED motivates him more than anything. He has it made right now at Alcoa as he just has to Coach and win. He gets a viable offer from either a private or another high paying state and he will be gone like a shot.

Alcoa got him by default after they promised him the assistant Principal slot with NO classes having to be taught.

Everybody keeps on about writing on the wall. The writing was the Superintendent that kept him from being busted for recruiting retired. He would have had to play without recruiting. Thusly he LEFT!

Bam! Been saying it for years. His bailing didn't start at R'dale. Let him go back to Smith Co. and let's see how many titles he gets.

Yes a solid home life is always a plus, but when you have players STEALING from other players in the locker room and you do NOTHING about it because they are starters at FB and RB, then you have a real problem.

Also throwing players off the bus because you lose to a team like Dickson in the playoffs and ranting and raving at them in the parking lot is NOT a class act. Also when you do lose you ride with your players in case some need help dealing with it. Rankin NEVER did this. In fact he made a point telling the players that he was ashamed to be seen with them. NOT A CLASS ACT, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Now just how much attention does he pay to players grades? At R'dale they were either 'fixed' or ignored if you were a starter. One of the biggest blowups I had with him personally was to ground my son when he made a D in a class. In my house only C's or better was acceptable.

For some reason I do not see Coach Q doing stuff like that. Thus the difference between good and GREAT!

Your good and "GREAT" evaluation of the Rankin / GQ question is based on your "Dads opinion of Rankin" and your limited or lack of inside knowledge of GQ...ask around for a few more opinions other than the Maryville fans that only see Red and Black....not saying they are wrong but I bet you can find someone to paint a different picture of GQ, if you found a parent of a unhappy player...I bet some might tell you stories similar to what you are telling...just different events and different topics....right or wrong we all make mistakes and have warts.

Find a dad opposite of you and maybe Rankin is GREAT and GQ good.....you are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't make it the truth to others....A COACH DOES NOT DRIVE A KID TO BEING A CRIMINAL

Edited by Frid8yn9tlites

Your good and "GREAT" evaluation of the Rankin / GQ question is based on your "Dads opinion of Rankin" and your limited or lack of inside knowledge of GQ...ask around for a few more opinions other than the Maryville fans that only see Red and Black....not saying they are wrong but I bet you can find someone to paint a different picture of GQ, if you found a parent of a unhappy player...I bet some might tell you stories similar to what you are telling...just different events and different topics....right or wrong we all make mistakes and have warts.

Find a dad opposite of you and maybe Rankin is GREAT and GQ good.....you are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't make it the truth to others....A COACH DOES NOT DRIVE A KID TO BEING A CRIMINAL

Good Luck finding someone with a dislike of Coach Quarles . Check this out and you may find out why . 

Good Luck finding someone with a dislike of Coach Quarles . Check this out and you may find out why .

https://youtu.be/UJo5nv_c2zg

This is an interview with GQ, not with someone with issues.....so there has NEVER been a family, parent, or player with issues. No one has ever questioned why some players are kicked off a team for certain rule violations and some are just suspended from another sport or punished differently with the consequences not being equal for same rule violation.There is NOT a perfect coach or team anywhere.... Didn't say he wasn't a great coach (if I needed someone to make a play call with the game on the line I would pick GQ) but I am sure players are not ALL treated the same. Every coach has their "All Star" picks that are given a bigger margin for error in games and practices, discipline issues are treated differently, team rules are not all on the same level with All Players. You have the kids that play and practice just as hard but for some reason a coach doesn't relate well with them and then the margin of error drops way down...this kid may not ever make it off of the scout team, may be used to make an example of "we do not tolerate rule breakers", or not given the same chances or forgiveness as the "All Star" ......

With 80 to 90 players not everyone is happy....EVERY TEAM has unhappy families. CoachT posters are made up of very SMALL sample of the true reflections of a team....Maryville, Alcoa, William Blount, and Heritage have the same people every game.

My point with "LOD" was to say every coach has his warts .....these warts are not the down fall of a player or adult who finds himself in jail...IT STARTS AT HOME and kids do not control their environment.

LOD was saying Coach Rankin fell short because of his "former players in JAIL"....and then the way STARTERS are treated ....unhappy dad sees things differently than other parents, True in every part of society ...IMO This happens on all teams

Edited by Frid8yn9tlites

If I could only kill a word. I know my own experiences with Coach Rankin and what my sons have told me are the opposite of LOD's. Why I don't know? There are two sides to every coin! I'm not going to argue about this and it does no good to trash people either! We all make mistakes and have would of done some things different given the chance. The way I see it both of these coaches have done a great job and have taken a different approach and have had great results and myself respect both of these coaches. I look back and laugh and I really appreciate all the good things that happened at our time there at Riverdale. I know the Maryville folks are doing the same because what has been happening there with GQ and the players has been nothing short of amazing. Same with Alcoa! Keep enjoying and I hope the success continues! My last comments on this post! Past is the past and does no good to bring it up unless its relevant, which it is not! 

Not sure Lost Old Dad had a good experience with Coach Rankin.

It started when he jumped me and asked me just what I knew about football.  I answered him only what I knew from playing in the PROs in the NFL.  All he did then was sputter and hem and haw.

He later said he roomed with Phil Fulmer at UT.  I found out from some of his friends and relatives from Carthage he did........for two weeks until Phil threw him out!  Commanding the NG Battalion the Carthage unit was in was VERY educational.  My KNOWING about most of his skeletons' in the closet did not sit well with him.

I have also never hid the fact that we did NOT get along.  Any that have been on here for the last 10 years or so could tell you that.

As to knowing Coach Q, no I do not, but I would like to.  He has always been pleasant to me when we passed each other and he always answered when I said Hi.  I am still wondering if Coach R even knows the word!

cant believe this conversation still going on .... there is only one statement that can be said ...

GEORGE QUARLES = CLASS

Gary Rankin = none

This response comes from a guy who posts under a screen name on a message board and chooses to question a coach's "class". Coach Rankin has been doing this for 30+ years and has kids who not only play hard for him but are viewed by opposing coaches are Mr Football Players. I would think that the minority of people share your opinion.

I think most of your opinion comes from the fact that Fulton and Austin-East (and even the great Knoxville Catholic) haven't gotten it done against Rankin's Alcoa teams.

Lost Old Dad has his opinion because he has said on numerous occasions that Rankin intentionally chose to lose his final game at Riverdale in the 2005 semifinals against Oak Ridge. Since that time Riverdale has become an afterthought when speaking of the elite teams in Rutherford County. Oakland, Blackman, and Smyrna have enjoyed greater success since that time. Rankin's 16 years at Riverdale was one of the greatest runs in the state's history.

No I'm not an Alcoa fan or supporter and I do enjoy giving bulletin board material to the goon squad from time to time. With that said I do think Rankin is a great football coach.