Union City versus Mayfield KY 2017

ysoangry

I for one will be hoping you guys take state. As far as the sportsmanship, thank you. It is true. There are two things I remember distinctly to do with my own son's leadership and sportsmanship from his time wearing a red helmet. First was in 2014 state championship. He went toe to toe and didn't take anything from the Williamsburg boys. I know he talked his share of crap, in particular to one of their recievers. After the game he shook that boys hand, patted him on the helmet and told him how good he was. He has been friends communicating over social media since. Last was immediately after the CAL game. He was upset and crying, he hates to lose. He had a fellow teammate come to him, hug him and appologize for the loss. My boy told him right there, get in the weight room Monday and get to work. Then get out there next year and kick their a**es. This is what Mayfield teaches. They don't just teach football, they teach life lessons. 

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, Mysonis55 said:

I think Swo finally opened his eyes after last years game. 

A lot of the UC football fans go into hibernation after football season.  They’ll be back soon. As far as last year goes you guys were the better team by far. No question about it. However I would have loved to see you guys play towards the end of the year.  I still believe you guys would have won but UC definite improved on their way to the state title. I think they could have been more competitive. 

14 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

A lot of the UC football fans go into hibernation after football season.  They’ll be back soon. As far as last year goes you guys were the better team by far. No question about it. However I would have loved to see you guys play towards the end of the year.  I still believe you guys would have won but UC definite improved on their way to the state title. I think they could have been more competitive. 

I don't think anyone is hibernating. I just think the thrill and hype of this game is gone. Around this time last year this topic was hitting 20 pages give/take. The problem is everyone has one thing on there mind if the CARDS ran the score up like that at uc war memorial what will they do to us at mayfield's war memorial.  

7 hours ago, Mayfieldfan1980 said:

I don't think anyone is hibernating. I just think the thrill and hype of this game is gone. Around this time last year this topic was hitting 20 pages give/take. The problem is everyone has one thing on there mind if the CARDS ran the score up like that at uc war memorial what will they do to us at mayfield's war memorial.  

I agree the thrill and hype is gone. But trust me, I have been on these boards for almost a decade and the norm is for most of the UC faithful to not post in the off-season. Last year was an anomaly because the Mayfield-UC game was new and yes you had a lot of chatter. But that is definitely not the norm. 

I was super-hyped for last year's game and as a Mayfield fan I was not disappointed. I watched the game replay a few nights ago and did notice some incidences when UC moved the ball and if they could have put together more at the right time... who knows. I'm not saying the outcome would have been different but the Golden Tornados may have scored a time or two.

I watched the Cards at a skilled player practice today and... this year will be no different on points for our side. The defense for MHS is stacked and the O-Line is a bit younger but I don't think that will be a problem.

Y'all come to the game early and tailgate with us! It's what Friday Nights should be like at WAR MEMORIAL!!!

Only late June and I am already starting to think forward to this game.  We tailgate in the West end zone where you will see the tailgaters cars, tents RV's.  The Cards and UC share the same stadium name, War Memorial Stadium.  Mayfield's is a huge old concrete hulk with one of the finest crowned Bermuda fields anywhere.  I, like a lot of other Cards fans, roll in a couple hours early and we eat and talk football among our fans and opponents.  Of note is that the visitors stands only hold about 600 fans but there is some visitor seating on the West end of the home side.  Only Cardinal Booster Club members can bring their cars into the tailgate area though for a C-Note, I can get you a spot.  This years version will see us as good or in a lot of cases better at every skill position but we lost a few up front.  I suspect this team will come out as the KY #1 in 2A.  What does UC return?