Union City versus Mayfield KY 2017

ysoangry

This will be an interesting matchup. Mayfield has been a state power for years in Kentucky. Does anyone know what their 2017 team will look like?

They were pretty young this year so the will be good I'm sure. Plus they missed finals for the first time in 8 years so they will be angry. The private school they lost to will be stout next two years also from what I hear.

They won't be quite as good in 2017 IMO. They return most of their line, and recievers, but lose their qb, rb, and some good linebackers. They have been in the semis 36 times winning 12 titles, and 9 runner up. From 09 till 15 they went to 7 straight title games winning 5 of the last 6, with the last 4 in a row. Since 09 they are 111-8. The 2016 team was the team people where the most excited about, but lost in the semis, and finished 13-1. Yes people in Mayfield where not happy about how the 2016 season ended especially with their best Defensive player not getting to play in the loss due to being ejected for a helmet to helmet hit the prior week. The team that beat them had an awesome line, and it was a close game till late, but I think Union City is getting them at the right time with what they lost from that team.

Does UC have the athletes to match up in space? Either way is going to be a tough game for both

I'd say Union City definitely has the athletes to matchup. Mayfield is undersized a lot of times, but we'll coached, and fundamentally sound. I've seen them in person a bunch over the years, and the 1 thing that sticks out is they never quit even when another team has them down they seem to find a way to come back and win.

We in Mayfield have wanted this game for several years and are glad it is finally here.  After winning the last 4 titles we faltered this year in the state semi finals which was surprising given that many felt this was one of the best teams we have had in recent times.   

We lost a ton this year starting with a 3 year QB who is the schools all time leading passer, a RB who is the schools all time leading rusher and a pair of linebackers who many feel were some of the best we have ever had. We also lost a outstanding WR and a very good lineman and the starting safety.  We return a lot up front a linebacker who will play at the next level, several experienced WR,s and a pair of above average RB's. 

Overall projection is that this team will be good but nothing like what we have been fielding the last several years, especially early with a sophomore QB that has never started.   

That said, we are always formidable, its been almost 60 years since we had a losing season and are in the top 5 in the nation is all time wins.  What does UC return?

• CoachT changed the title to Union City versus Mayfield KY 2017