The Future of Lacrosse

bogus

I think it will begin to grow much faster than it has in the past. Growth was somewhat stagnant from the late 90's to early 2000. Since 2001, an average of 2 or 3 teams have been added per year. Based on these numbers, I'd say that there will be between 35-40 Varsity lacrosse teams in divided into to divisions like there are now. I would look for private schools and large publics, particularly those with strong football programs or those in populated, upper income areas to lead the expansion. Teams like Ensworth, Baylor, Maryville, Riverdale, Germantown, Dobbyns-Bennet, Oak Ridge, Red Bank, Knox Central, Briarcrest, BGA, JCM, and Fulton would probably be a few likely candidates. The degree of expansions will probably be very dependent on a few variables: 1) Interest in playing the sport 2) Funds available for the team and travel 3) Available coaches 4)Other teams in the area to play regularly. It would also help if there were some youth/developmental leagues to get the kids playing at a younger age. It will be very interesting to see how the sport does grow, though, and I think there are good things ahead for lax in TN.

I think it will begin to grow much faster than it has in the past.  Growth was somewhat stagnant from the late 90's to early 2000.  Since 2001, an average of 2 or 3 teams have been added per year.  Based on these numbers, I'd say that there will be between 35-40 Varsity lacrosse teams in divided into to divisions like there are now.  I would look for private schools and large publics, particularly those with strong football programs or those in populated, upper income areas to lead the expansion.  Teams like Ensworth, Baylor, Maryville, Riverdale, Germantown, Dobbyns-Bennet, Oak Ridge, Red Bank, Knox Central, Briarcrest, BGA, JCM, and Fulton would probably be a few likely candidates.  The degree of expansions will probably be very dependent on a few variables:  1) Interest in playing the sport 2) Funds available for the team and travel 3) Available coaches 4)Other teams in the area to play regularly.  It would also help if there were some youth/developmental leagues to get the kids playing at a younger age.  It will be very interesting to see how the sport does grow, though, and I think there are good things ahead for lax in TN.

825625305[/snapback]

To add to what Redtwin has said, don't forgot the quickest way growth has occurred when:

1. Girls programs are started with the boys

2. Quality officiating with teams making a significant effort to pay

them well.

I would assume you are talking about it being a TSSAA state champ vs. TSLA state champ.

A few random thoughts to create some in-depth discussion:

TSSAA is sure to be nothing but a burden for lacrosse in TN. They can barely handle the rules of running a golf tourn. much less the complexities of lacrosse. I understand how it would help growth in public schools, but what you end up with is the sport being forced on schools instead of supported by parents, competent coaches, and quality administration. The biggest problem in areas of growth is qualified coaches. There just aren't enough coaches to keep up with the number of participants. States with sanctioned programs have a lot more politics that stall the growth of the game.

I would assume you are talking about it being a TSSAA state champ vs. TSLA state champ. 

A few random thoughts to create some in-depth discussion:

TSSAA is sure to be nothing but a burden for lacrosse in TN.  They can barely handle the rules of running a golf tourn. much less the complexities of lacrosse.  I understand how it would help growth in public schools, but what you end up with is the sport being forced on schools instead of supported by parents, competent coaches, and quality administration.  The biggest problem in areas of growth is qualified coaches.  There just aren't enough coaches to keep up with the number of participants.  States with sanctioned programs have a lot more politics that stall the growth of the game.

825627835[/snapback]

which is why the need for development leagues are needed...would you know how we stack up against other surrounding states in lacrosse numbers. are we average? are there coaching clinics for lacrosse anywhere around?

which is why the need for development leagues are needed...would you know how we stack up against other surrounding states in lacrosse numbers.  are we average?  are there coaching clinics for lacrosse anywhere around?

825629236[/snapback]

The key to growth in Atlanta and Charlotte has been transplants from the Northeast. Particularly those that have experience starting programs in other areas of the country. There's a unique model for lacrosse that generally grows through non-profit status in order to get grants and charitable donations for clinics, equipment, etc. Memphis and Nashville seem to be doing a decent job with numbers. When Chattanooga's numbers start to catch up it should be a nice bridge between West TN and Georgia.

• 3 weeks later...
I think it will begin to grow much faster than it has in the past.  Growth was somewhat stagnant from the late 90's to early 2000.  Since 2001, an average of 2 or 3 teams have been added per year.  Based on these numbers, I'd say that there will be between 35-40 Varsity lacrosse teams in divided into to divisions like there are now.  I would look for private schools and large publics, particularly those with strong football programs or those in populated, upper income areas to lead the expansion.  Teams like Ensworth, Baylor, Maryville, Riverdale, Germantown, Dobbyns-Bennet, Oak Ridge, Red Bank, Knox Central, Briarcrest, BGA, JCM, and Fulton would probably be a few likely candidates.  The degree of expansions will probably be very dependent on a few variables:  1) Interest in playing the sport 2) Funds available for the team and travel 3) Available coaches 4)Other teams in the area to play regularly.  It would also help if there were some youth/developmental leagues to get the kids playing at a younger age.  It will be very interesting to see how the sport does grow, though, and I think there are good things ahead for lax in TN.

825625305[/snapback]

Germantown had a team and it disbanded i go to briarcrest i would not want to play for my school theres in trest but i agree not enough coaches we need more club teams (note i cant spell)

As a former resident of East Tenn, and current resident of the Northeast, I think that LAX can and will, in due time, take off in TN. Kids in the state will enjoy a sport that requires, finesse, athletic ability, and toughness. Another thing that will benefit LAX in TN that teams up north dont enjoy is the weather. A season in the south will be able to start a month or two sooner than in the upper east (much like baseball). I, for one, wish LAX would have been a TSSAA sanctioned sport that was played at my alma mater, Jefferson County.