Cardinal Announcer Pops Off About Helton!

Wayne Hagin - basically the replacement for Jack Buck in the booth for the Cardinals - told a radio station in St. Louis on Sunday that he knew of Rockies 1st baseman Todd Helton being told by then manager Don Baylor to "get off the juice." Obviously, with all that has been publicized recently about steroids, one would assume that Hagin was talking about roids. He later issued a statement saying that he meant stuff like Creatine instead of steroids.

Helton is hopping mad and considering a lawsuit.

What will happen to Hagin now that he has damaged himself in the eyes of all MLB players?

Why would he make this comment? It was just pure ignorrance on his part, to make a statement like that with no evidence to back it up! I mean who has heard Heltons name involved in this whole ordeal? No one til now and Helton stated on ESPNEWS last night that he was very ticked off about this, because he was %100 against steroid!

And Hagan said "If this gets out he will be mad", it was on ESPN radio in the middle of the steroid controversy, what are the chances of it getting out?

Just idiotic, he could have made the point I guess he was trying to make without using names or half info, That other baseball players felt the need or urge to do something to "level the playing field. I listen to cardinal baseball often, and no one will be Jack Buck, but anyone can tell me the count, outs, base hits and scores, get that guy out of there.

Wayne Hagin - basically the replacement for Jack Buck in the booth for the Cardinals - told a radio station in St. Louis on Sunday that he knew of Rockies 1st baseman Todd Helton being told by then manager Don Baylor to "get off the juice."  Obviously, with all that has been publicized recently about steroids, one would assume that Hagin was talking about roids.  He later issued a statement saying that he meant stuff like Creatine instead of steroids. 

Helton is hopping mad and considering a lawsuit. 

What will happen to Hagin now that he has damaged himself in the eyes of all MLB players?

825626041[/snapback]

Hagin supposedly swears he was talking about creatine and that the quotes were taken out of context.

Hagin supposedly swears he was talking about creatine and that the quotes were taken out of context.

825626673[/snapback]

He's probably gone from the Cardinal broadcasts. I've read many a post in St. Louis today that are hopeful he won't be back.

Opperman, have the Redbirds filled Tom Stocker's spot yet? If not, put in a good word for me! B)

He's probably gone from the Cardinal broadcasts.  I've read many a post in St. Louis today that are hopeful he won't be back. 

Opperman, have the Redbirds filled Tom Stocker's spot yet?  If not, put in a good word for me!  :)

825626683[/snapback]

They hired David Kelly, who has been covering the Cleveland Browns and Cleveland Indians the last few years as a studio host and a talk show host. He used to be the voice of the Visalia Oaks and Port City Roosters. I know Visalia's one of Oakland's single-A affiliates...no clue who the Roosters are, lol.