College Scholarships

Bleacherbum

How many of the people posting here have kids who are now, or were, on an athletic scholarship?

Playing a sport is college is a JOB.  Most of these girls play softball spring, summer, and fall from the age of 10, 11, 12,  and up.  It's a great game and it's alot of fun.

Being good up until the age of 16, or recruitment time, is common. 

Going to the next level is tough, long, hard work.  Some girls are up for it, and some girls are not.  Most parents want it alot more than the kids do.

There are so many factors that play into getting a scholarship.

Some of the girls who are up for the hard work don't have everything the colleges are looking for:

size, speed, "game" (offense & defense), and intangibles. 

Will the rest of my team get along with this girl?  , asks the college coach.

Is she a leader?  Can she be a role player?  Has she ever overcome adversity?

GRADES!!!  are important.

So, the field is narrowed even more.

Then, those who have what it takes are hit with outside elements.

Injuries.  Alot of great ballplayers end their high school career with an injury.

Burn out.  Parents talk about working year round to get noticed.  Get a scholarship.  It's all they hear.  Then, one day, they have a car, they notice a certain boy, they get a part time job,  and being at the ballfield 24/7 is no longer what it was two seasons ago.  OR, they get recruited and talk to girls who are already there and here about how the team practices in college THREE times a day in preseason, lifting weights, running, situation practices, and oh yeah, real practices.

The number of girls who make it to level of actually playing in college should be cheered for, alot.  It's a VERY FEW of many talented girls who get a scholarship and play in college.  I don't care if it's DI,  DII,  NAIA,  or JUCO.  All those girls have worked to earn all they have in front of them.

College sports is a job.  If you're telling your 15 year old anything different, you're not being honest with yourself or your kid.

I am not trying to be negative.  I played football in college on a full scholarship.

( an SEC school )  I would not trade my college athletic experience for anything in the world.  I did not enjoy the hard work all the time, I sometimes wondered what it would be like to be a regular student without the daily workouts.  BUT I wouldn't have changed my situation for the world!

Now, my daughter is playing softball in college.  She hates the hard work somtimes, too.  But she likes the feeling of hitting a rope down the line and sliding into second.  She loves making a good defensive stop and a bang-bang play at first when the umpire yells "OUT!" 

Those are the times we all work hard for, and it is worth it.

But, it is work.  A college scholarship is a JOB, but a fun job. 

Besides, who can make that kind of money working at the mall?

825629318[/snapback]

That job pays pretty well. :rolleyes:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good point about it being cooler when the most is at stake in the fall, but since most of these girls are already playing fall ball, they are used to playing in late October. another good reason for playing in the fall, is that they will already be in shape from having played up thru Aug 1 in travel ball, therefore, fewer preseason practice days would be required, so the season could start in mid aug., and end by oct 31. that will not interfere with those girls playing basketball.

one last negative point about spring softball, is what you mentioned....spring break...its bad that they play about 1-2 weeks, then quit for a week for spring break. some schools wont even let the girls off for spring break. If their spring breaks are allowed for them to take, many have to cut them short because they have to play games the weekend at the beginning of the break, and also at the end of the break.

You and I may both be ok with the lottery being for Tn schools only, but try tell that to an emotional 18 year old female that wants to go to school out of state. Ha!

825629158[/snapback]

Do you realize that is nine months a year playing softball? I can imagine the enthusiasm with which they would enter the high school season in the fall after playing from Feb - July.

Heard of fall break yet, at your school?

My kids know they are going to school in the state of Tennessee from the time they are old enough to ask. My wife and I both teach so we get a discount on in-state tuition. That was before the lottery even came along. But, obviously, you can send your child wherever you want to. That is your business and there are some great schools all over the country. I just happen to like the ones in Tennessee just fine.

I guess my whole point on the "fall softball season" is if it can be done in one state (GA) (and it seems to be working), why not "try" it. Just think if no one every decided to change womens basketball from 6 on 6............

Bleacherbum also made a great point regarding the travel season running straight into the high school season (if it were in the fall). The girls would be in mid-season form from the beginning.

Oh well, it all makes too much sense..............

Do you realize that is nine months a year playing softball? I can imagine the enthusiasm with which they would enter the high school season in the fall after playing from Feb - July.

My kids know they are going to school in the state of Tennessee from the time they are old enough to ask. My wife and I both teach so we get a discount on in-state tuition. That was before the lottery even came along. But, obviously, you can send your child wherever you want to. That is your business and there are some great schools all over the country. I just happen to like the ones in Tennessee just fine.

825629383[/snapback]

Of course I am only talking about the travel players, girls that only play high school ball during the season would not be affected. Most of the girls playing travel would just be coming off of a Nationals week long tournament anyway and anyone would be able to fit in a week to FL before school started.

I'm with you on the TN schools, plenty (good ones) to choose from........

825629383[/snapback]

the good players are already playing 9 months out of the year playing softball, but it doesnt have to be that way...if they played in the fall, they wouldnt necessarily be playing in the spring, unless they played travel leagues in the spring.

Fall break is only 2-3 days where we live...not a full week that spring break is.

How do you think basketball and football coaches would feel it you stopped the season in the middle of it to have a week long break?...there would not be a break.

Edited by Bleacherbum

My oldest daughter decided at ten yrs old to stop ballet and play fastpitch softball. I had no idea where that thought came from. I played baseball and loved it as a kid but never gave the game a second thought after that. Over time, we saw her desire grow to be the best. There were times when I wanted her to quit and go play some other game but she insisted on playing even though she was being overlooked, ignored and quite frankly, treated as a 2nd class citizen. The kids would even take off to the mall on tournament weekends and not inviter her. Even though I insisted for her to quit, she told me with tears in her eyes that if she quit, they would win and she wasn't going to let that happen. As years passed, she became quite a force in the game. She went from the bottom of a very formidable pitching staff to the top. She never had an at bat nor played in the field. All she did was pitch and did it very well. She played every summer and fall too. No time off at all including the winters. In fact, she gave up all the school dances, and finally, as a senior, left a tournament to go to the senior prom. The only school organized event other than softball related. I gave her an opportunity to not have to work a job if she wanted to conitnue her pitching career and put in the hours needed to succeed. I also told her the more scholarship money she received, the newer her car would be when she went off to college. Thousands of hours and dollars were spent chasing it from South Carolina, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois,Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Alabama, Oklahoma etc., etc.. Many of those destinations were hit seven or eight times. She took the scholarship offer to Lipscomb University in Nashville with a brand new car and has been extremely happy. Scholastically, it has been rated one of the top three in the South East. This is something she EARNED, it wasn't handed to her. She kept her end of the deal so I lived up to mine. I taught both of my daughters to be independent. I also told them they don't get the title to the cars until they graduate college. It's called leverage. Fortunately, she is graduating from Lipscomb this year in four years of attendance. That, in itself, is pretty incredible considering she began her first two years taking pre-dental. We missed my brothers daughters wedding and many more family events. But you know, it was all well worth it. I would have never spent so much quality time with my kids if it wasn't for this game. I got into it as much as she did and we grew together. She, in fact, taught me more about life than I did to her. It was win, win with lots of agony and rewards. I wouldn't trade it for the world. She is a very special kid with lots of love for anyone she meets. This game took a very meek and timid child and transpired her into a very confident and competitive person. I thank God for this. Sometimes, it seams surreal.

This story is much deeper than what I wrote but I hope many of you can catch a glimpse of the inspiration involved when you do something together with your children that THEY WANT TO DO, NOT JUST YOU. It's worth every minute and every dollar spent. How many parents can actually say they spent this much quality time with their kids and have them grow up to be very independent and responsible? If I were to die today, I would know and my family would know that I was there for them and shared all the heartaches and glory with them throughout their young lives.

Edited by ERA

I guess my whole point on the "fall softball season" is if it can be done in one state (GA) (and it seems to be working), why not "try" it.  Just think if no one every decided to change womens basketball from 6 on 6............

Bleacherbum also made a great point regarding the travel season running straight into the high school season (if it were in the fall).  The girls would be in mid-season form from the beginning.

Oh well, it all makes too much sense..............

825629384[/snapback]

The reverse would be that if it is OK for 49 states then why try it. As you have probably guessed by now I am a fan of high school sports. Travel ball is great, in the summer, when school is out.

My oldest daughter decided at ten yrs old to stop ballet and play fastpitch softball. I had no idea where that thought came from. I played baseball and loved it as a kid but never gave the game a second thought after that. Over time, we saw her desire grow to be the best. There were times when I wanted her to quit and go play some other game but she insisted on playing even though she was being overlooked, ignored and quite frankly, treated as a 2nd class citizen. The kids would even take off to the mall on tournament weekends and not inviter her. Even though I insisted for her to quit, she told me with tears in her eyes that if she quit, they would win and she wasn't going to let that happen. As years passed, she became quite a force in the game. She went from the bottom of a very formidable pitching staff to the top. She never had an at bat nor played in the field.  All she did was pitch and did it very well. She played every summer and fall too. No time off at all including the winters. In fact, she gave up all the school dances, and finally, as a senior, left a tournament to go to the senior prom. The only school organized event other than softball related. I gave her an opportunity to not have to work a job if she wanted to conitnue her pitching career and put in the hours needed to succeed. I also told her the more scholarship money she received, the newer her car would be when she went off to college. Thousands of hours and dollars were spent chasing it from South Carolina, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois,Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Alabama, Oklahoma etc., etc.. Many of those destinations were hit seven or eight times. She took the scholarship offer to Lipscomb University in Nashville with a brand new car and has been extremely happy. Scholastically, it has been rated one of the top three in the South East. This is something she EARNED, it wasn't handed to her. She kept her end of the deal so I lived up to mine. I taught both of my daughters to be independent. I also told them they don't get the title to the cars until they graduate college. It's called leverage. Fortunately, she is graduating from Lipscomb this year in four years of attendance. That, in itself, is pretty incredible considering she began her first two years taking pre-dental.  We missed my brothers daughters wedding and many more family events. But you know, it was all well worth it. I would have never spent so much quality time with my kids if it wasn't for this game. I got into it as much as she did and we grew together. She, in fact, taught me more about life than I did to her. It was win, win with lots of agony and rewards. I wouldn't trade it for the world. She is a very special kid with lots of love for anyone she meets. This game took a very meek and timid child and transpired her into a very confident and competitive person. I thank God for this. Sometimes, it seams surreal. 

This story is much deeper than what I wrote but I hope many of you can catch a glimpse of the inspiration involved when you do something together with your children that THEY WANT TO DO, NOT JUST YOU. It's worth every minute and every dollar spent. How many parents can actually say they spent this much quality time with their kids and have them grow up to be very independent and responsible? If I were to die today, I would know and my family would know that I was there for them and shared all the heartaches and glory with them throughout their young lives.

825629484[/snapback]

ERA,

You and I have so much in common. :blink:

Edited by Antwan

My oldest daughter decided at ten yrs old to stop ballet and play fastpitch softball. I had no idea where that thought came from. I played baseball and loved it as a kid but never gave the game a second thought after that. Over time, we saw her desire grow to be the best. There were times when I wanted her to quit and go play some other game but she insisted on playing even though she was being overlooked, ignored and quite frankly, treated as a 2nd class citizen. The kids would even take off to the mall on tournament weekends and not inviter her. Even though I insisted for her to quit, she told me with tears in her eyes that if she quit, they would win and she wasn't going to let that happen. As years passed, she became quite a force in the game. She went from the bottom of a very formidable pitching staff to the top. She never had an at bat nor played in the field.  All she did was pitch and did it very well. She played every summer and fall too. No time off at all including the winters. In fact, she gave up all the school dances, and finally, as a senior, left a tournament to go to the senior prom. The only school organized event other than softball related. I gave her an opportunity to not have to work a job if she wanted to conitnue her pitching career and put in the hours needed to succeed. I also told her the more scholarship money she received, the newer her car would be when she went off to college. Thousands of hours and dollars were spent chasing it from South Carolina, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois,Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Alabama, Oklahoma etc., etc.. Many of those destinations were hit seven or eight times. She took the scholarship offer to Lipscomb University in Nashville with a brand new car and has been extremely happy. Scholastically, it has been rated one of the top three in the South East. This is something she EARNED, it wasn't handed to her. She kept her end of the deal so I lived up to mine. I taught both of my daughters to be independent. I also told them they don't get the title to the cars until they graduate college. It's called leverage. Fortunately, she is graduating from Lipscomb this year in four years of attendance. That, in itself, is pretty incredible considering she began her first two years taking pre-dental.  We missed my brothers daughters wedding and many more family events. But you know, it was all well worth it. I would have never spent so much quality time with my kids if it wasn't for this game. I got into it as much as she did and we grew together. She, in fact, taught me more about life than I did to her. It was win, win with lots of agony and rewards. I wouldn't trade it for the world. She is a very special kid with lots of love for anyone she meets. This game took a very meek and timid child and transpired her into a very confident and competitive person. I thank God for this. Sometimes, it seams surreal. 

825629484[/snapback]

As you say, when the child wants it as much or more than the parent, it is achievable under the current system. It is not easy, no matter what system you work under, but it is doable. Would it have been easier for her if softball was a fall sport? Do you think she would have been as effective in high school if high school ball came at the end of summer travel ball?

As you say, when the child wants it as much or more than the parent, it is achievable under the current system. It is not easy, no matter what system you work under, but it is doable. Would it have been easier for her if softball was a fall sport? Do you think she would have been as effective in high school if high school ball came at the end of summer travel ball?

825629524[/snapback]

The only real advantage I can see CoachT, is the fall is much drier than the spring. Not as many games would have to be made up due to rainouts. That's my only real complaint. Tennessee has a very active rain system, more so than most any other states barring Washington State. It's somewhat tropical, to say the least. Nothing is more frustrating than having your games delayed for hours or reschecheduling an already busy season. As far as gaining anything from the move to fall, I don't see it. In fact, if a kid is playing a very competitive summer schedule, the fall can actually have a down effect from a long hot summer. The spring is where this game belongs BUT, I'm as frustrated as the rest with the weather delays.

The only real advantage I can see CoachT, is the fall is much drier than the spring. Not as many games would have to be made up due to rainouts. That's my only real complaint. Tennessee has a very active rain system, more so than most any other states barring Washington State. It's somewhat tropical, to say the least. Nothing is more frustrating than having your games delayed for hours or reschecheduling an already busy season. As far as gaining anything from the move to fall, I don't see it. In fact, if a kid is playing a very competitive summer schedule, the fall can actually have a down effect from a long hot summer. The spring is where this game belongs BUT, I'm as frustrated as the rest with the weather delays.

825629543[/snapback]

I understand the weather thing. There are even days in golf, though, where it is too hot to safely walk 18 holes in mid to late August. You then have four or five weeks of excellent weather. Tourney time is hit and miss. Some years the weather is great but I have also had times when we wore shorts on day one and gloves and toboggans on day two.

ERA,

That was a great post! You have a right to be very proud.

Now as far as college teams and playing HS softball in the fall....

It is a competitive world. The competition is not limited to our particular little corner in Tennessee. Why is it that most colleges are going after players from the sunshine states? THESE PLAYERS HAVE MORE EXPERIENCE! THEY HAVE MORE PLAYING TIME! Does this matter to the TSSAA or to the local school administrators. No. Why not? Because all they are concerned about is following the established rules, reducing conflicts, and leveling the school ball playing field. It is not TSSAA's concern whether or not your little Susie or Johnny gets a college scholarship. IMO, TSSAA should have student/athlete representation to give the athletes a voice, but that's for a different thread.

To summarize, to be competitive you need to play as much as possible. The best chance for good weather is in the fall. In Tennessee we are already behind because of our winters and the wet spring weather. I guess the serious baseball and softball players could move to California or Arizona.

<_<