College Scholarships

Bleacherbum

Yes, I was trying to get some discussion about why exceptional athletes like Megan and Camille arent more prevalent...I can remember in the mid to late 90's there were several players that signed with "big" schools (Siebel went to the Big 10, Dunlap and Alexander going to Southwest Louisiana, Tyree and Castillo going to Georgia, Barron and Howard going to LSU, Mitchell and Lyons going to Arkansas, Fine and the Overton catcher, along with Hamilton to Ole Miss, Wright to Alabama, etc.....

there doesnt seem to be the quantity(maybe one or 2) of players of those with the skill of those athletes anymore.....but I will admit, they may be on the rise again...it looks like we have alot of younger players in the freshman and sophomore classes this year.

The 18 & under Nashville Eagles won the Nationals in the late 90's, and I havent seen a team that has been put together that would equal that team....are there enough girls to put together to make a run at the nationals that could win it again?

825627925[/snapback]

Sure there are enough talented girls if you can get past parents egos. Sometimes parents want there child to shine so they are hesitant to put them on a really dominant team because they want there kid to get all the attention.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

baseball in the spring competes with soccer,tennis,spring football practice and the end of basketball.why couldn't you start the third week of August,Sept. and part of Oct.this past tues. nite was played with snow falling.there are a lot more warm days in Oct.than in the first parts of Mar.season only goes part of March,April then districts start in first week of May.plus time doesn't change till the end of Oct.

baseball in the spring competes with soccer,tennis,spring football practice and the end of basketball.why couldn't you start the third week of August,Sept. and part of Oct.this past tues. nite was played with snow falling.there are a lot more warm days in Oct.than in the first parts of Mar.season only goes part of March,April then districts start in  first week of May.plus time doesn't change till the end of Oct.

825628197[/snapback]

There is no reason why softball cant be played in the fall, except it makes too much sense to do it, so the TSSAA will never do it...some people say that it would take players away from volleyball or basketball, but very few high profile softball players play those other sports because they all interfere with each other during the summer in travel ball. Some schools wont even let girls play summer league softball if they want to play volleyball or basketball, because they have to go to camps which happen during the same time as the big softball tourneys. Volleyball could also be played in the spring just as easy as softball is, to start right after the basketball season ends, and they wouldnt have to worry about the bad spring weather.

Edited by Bleacherbum

I'll agree that the callibre of play in the areas around nashville have greatly improved since 10 year ago, I dont think the teams in Nashville are nearly as good. The traditional powers (Father Ryan, Ezell Harding, Lipscomb, Overton) I know are no where near state-championship levels that they are used to being. Could it be the summer leagues have almost disappeared in the younger age groups? Although Brentwood has remained strong, I'm surprised they have been so competitive with their rec leagues playing slow pitch and not fastpitch. Individual instructions that they are getting at places at Club K develop good individual skills, but are team skills being jeapardized by not having competitive summer leagues?

825626478[/snapback]

I'll agree that the callibre of play in the areas around nashville have greatly improved since 10 year ago, I dont think the teams around Nashville are nearly as good. The traditional powers (Father Ryan, Ezell Harding, Lipscomb, Overton) I know are no where near state-championship levels that they are used to being. Could it be the summer leagues have almost disappeared in the younger age groups? Although Brentwood has remained strong, I'm surprised they have been so competitive with their rec leagues playing slow pitch and not fastpitch. Individual instructions that they are getting at places at Club K develop good individual skills, but are team skills being jeapardized by not having competitive summer leagues?

825626476[/snapback]

There is no reason why softball cant be played in the fall, except it makes too much sense to do it, so the TSSAA will never do it...some people say that it would take players away from volleyball or basketball, but very few high profile softball players play those other sports because they all interfere with each other during the summer in travel ball. Some schools wont even let girls play summer league softball if they want to play volleyball or basketball, because they have to go to camps which happen during the same time as the big softball tourneys. Volleyball could also be played in the spring just as easy as softball is, to start right after the basketball season ends, and they wouldnt have to worry about the bad spring weather.

825628242[/snapback]

Kile, Moyer, Fox, Newberry, left the Yankettes to play V.B. all could have played softball at college, they made all state in vb. That is just one team.

Brentwood a traditional power? Please!!!!

825628254[/snapback]

apparently you dont know anything about mid-state softball, but next to Beech, there have been very few teams that have had as a good a record as Brentwood in the class AAA level over the last 20 years. Even during Ezell's run of consecutive state championships at the Class A level, Brentwood usually had better teams than them.

Kile, Moyer, Fox, Newberry, left the Yankettes to play V.B.  all could have played softball at college, they made all state in vb. That is just one team.

825628267[/snapback]

They probably chose to play volleyball over softball because they were better at that sport. The question is, could they have gotten a college scholarship in softball at a major softball college? Its unfortunate that good athletes like those girls are to have to choose between one or the other. They should be allowed to play both sports.

Yes, I was trying to get some discussion about why exceptional athletes like Megan and Camille arent more prevalent...I can remember in the mid to late 90's there were several players that signed with "big" schools (Siebel went to the Big 10, Dunlap and Alexander going to Southwest Louisiana, Tyree and Castillo going to Georgia, Barron and Howard going to LSU, Mitchell and Lyons going to Arkansas, Fine and the Overton catcher, along with Hamilton to Ole Miss, Wright to Alabama, etc.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bleacherbum,

as I recall with limited memory cells remaining, several of these

players you mentioned did not finish their careers at these places due to injury or

transferring to smaller schools; you probably remember the details better than me,

however; the question remains though, would these same girls sign with these

same schools if they were playing today? we will never know the answer to that,

besides, a lot of coaches have changed at the schools mentioned as well.

(just my humble opinion)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bleacherbum,

as I recall with limited memory cells remaining, several of these

players you mentioned did not finish their careers at these places due to injury or

transferring to smaller schools; you probably remember the details better than me,

however; the question remains though, would these same girls sign with these

same schools if they were playing today? we will never know the answer to that,

besides, a lot of coaches have changed at the schools mentioned as well.

(just my humble opinion)

fpfanatic, as far as I know the only ones that did not finish at those schools were Barron, Howard, and Castillo....all the others finished at the schools. Siebel did go to another school after being granted an extra year , but it was to a bigger school. Your right, we would never know if they would of gone to the same school, but I bet several of them would of gone to UT had they been given the opportunity. the UT coach wasnt recrutiting tennesse girls at the time, only girls from out west. Most of those girls were good enough to play for any SEC school today.

825628308[/snapback]