• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

825628317[/snapback]

bleacherbum,

it seems like the mitchell girl transferred to MTSU or somewhere like that;

and you are correct, most of these girls could play at any school in the SEC

today, except maybe for some of the pitchers, since most SEC coaches are going

after the big, tall, Amazonian types like I previously mentioned. It does not mean

these pitchers still could not get the job done today though.

If fall ball is what everyone wants then why don't the travel teams just play into October or November?

825628362[/snapback]

That would be great, but, now a lot of the high schools are playing a "fall schedule" and the fall travel tournaments are dilluted and not worth playing in. It seems to me that it would be easy enough to change to the fall. I would think that volleyball would be an easy change to spring or am I missing something.

Does anyone think that at some point in time, some of the better players will skip playing high school ball in order to play travel ball year round? They do in CA.............

If fall ball is what everyone wants then why don't the travel teams just play into October or November?

825628362[/snapback]

alot of players do play a fall schedule in middle tennessee, but is not very organized,...they usually play with people from there own school, not with their travel teams...i'm not sure if there are TSSAA rules about playing an organized travel schdule or not.

bleacherbum,

it seems like the mitchell girl transferred to MTSU or somewhere like that;

and you are correct, most of these girls could play at any school in the SEC

today, except maybe for some of the pitchers, since most SEC coaches are going

after the big, tall, Amazonian types like I previously mentioned.  It does not mean

these pitchers still could not get the job done today though.

825628410[/snapback]

FPfanatic, it does appear that the teams in the top 10 all have at least one amazon pitchers, but their backup pitchers are usually normal size girls. The Mitchell girl did transfer to MTSU, but it wasnt because she couldnt make it in the SEC, it was because she didnt get along with the Arkansas coach, who has since been fired.

Brook Siebel could of pitched for any team in the country, she just chose to go to an academic school instead of a softball powerhouse....and she isnt an amazon at all.

That would be great, but, now a lot of the high schools are playing a "fall schedule" and the fall travel tournaments are dilluted and not worth playing in.  It seems to me that it would be easy enough to change to the fall.  I would think that volleyball would be an easy change to spring or am I missing something.

Does anyone think that at some point in time, some of the better players will skip playing high school ball in order to play travel ball year round?  They do in CA.............

825628609[/snapback]

stlbrd, although I hope not, but I could see the day that girls quit playing school ball and only play summer league, especially if they are zoned to a school that has a lousy team, and their parents cant afford to go to a private school. With the large number of scholarships available, its more advantageous to be seen in summer leagues than school leagues. Most college coaches dont know what high school you play for, but they know what summer league team you play on, and how competitive it is. And with the availability of personal trainers and places like Club K, i can see where a girl feels they get more out of that instruction than with a coach who really doesnt know that much about softball.

This will be a very general statement, and definitely not applicable in every case which will allow quite a bit of criticism. However, I as much as anyone am used to that. :D

Isn't the emphasis on scholarships much too great? To sound corny and old-fashioned, isn't playing the game and the comraderie and the school spirit what the game is supposed to be about?

Most athletes I come across are disciplined enough to be good students which makes them eligible for lottery scholarships, etc. This makes it much more profitable for a college coach to sign them than ever before since partial schlarships are all that is needed. And, if the athlete decides at some point to concentrate on academics then the scholarship is still available.

Is this scholarship quest more the parent's idea or the student's? Would a parent not spend thousands of dollars over four years sponsoring their child on a travel team?

The idea of moving softball to the fall (by the way, softball and baseball are meant to be played in the spring, when students are anxious to get outside and enjoy the spring weather) seems quite extreme when the only reasoning I see mentioned as valid is to promote scholarships. Is that necessary for the benefit of two or three players out of 15 or so on a team?

This will be a very general statement, and definitely not applicable in every case which will allow quite a bit of criticism. However, I as much as anyone am used to that. :D

Isn't the emphasis on scholarships much too great? To sound corny and old-fashioned, isn't playing the game and the comraderie and the school spirit what the game is supposed to be about?

Most athletes I come across are disciplined enough to be good students which makes them eligible for lottery scholarships, etc. This makes it much more profitable for a college coach to sign them than ever before since partial schlarships are all that is needed. And, if the athlete decides at some point to concentrate on academics then the scholarship is still available.

Is this scholarship quest more the parent's idea or the student's? Would a parent not spend thousands of dollars over four years sponsoring their child on a travel team?

The idea of moving softball to the fall (by the way, softball and baseball are meant to be played in the spring, when students are anxious to get outside and enjoy the spring weather) seems quite extreme when the only reasoning I see mentioned as valid is to promote scholarships. Is that necessary for the benefit of two or three players out of 15 or so on a team?

825629023[/snapback]

CoachT, as a parent of girls that played high school softball, and suffered thru the miserable weather of spring softball, my ONLY reason for moving softball to the fall is for better weather. While spring is a good time to enjoy the outdoors, unfortunately, softball players have to endure very cold temps, and also have to change plans alot due to games being cancelled because of rainy conditions. It definitley rains more in the spring than the fall. I have sat thru many a games where the temperatures were in the 30's or 40's. About the first time the weather is really what would be considered ideal conditions for softball, is in may, which is almost at the end of the season.

Another reason not previously mentioned for moving to the fall, is it would give college coaches an opportunity to watch girls play high school ball. With it being in the spring, colleges cant come watch them play because their teams are playing.

I would imagine that a lot of girls would love to earn a college scholarship playing ball, but most of the encouragement comes from the parents. The lottery money for good students only is good for in-state schools, so any girl wanting to go to an out-of-state school either has to earn a athletic scholarship, or pay high out-of-state tuitions, unless they earn a full academic scholarship, which are harder to come by than athletic scholarships. Even with lottery money, it still costs about $6000 per year to go to a school such as UT when u count room and board into the equation.

I dont think emphasis on scholarships are too great, maybe the pressure parents put on kids are too great. With some kids, a scholarship is the only way they will ever be able to go to college.

Having coached fall golf for many years I will say that you would love the weather during the regular season but at tourney time, when the most is at stake, you may not be able to feel the bat in your hands.

When I think of the female athletes I have in class this semester (we are on spring break now, by the way) I can't think of one that will not qualify for the lottery scholarship. Yes, it is for Tennessee schools only but I am OK with that. I have two children of my own who are enjoying a Tennessee education as we speak. (Actually, one is preparing to board a plane to Germany as we speak.) Now, I hope every one of those athletes strive their hardest to play in college if that is what they want. I also hope that all of them know there is another option in case that does not happen.

Having coached fall golf for many years I will say that you would love the weather during the regular season but at tourney time, when the most is at stake, you may not be able to feel the bat in your hands.

When I think of the female athletes I have in class this semester (we are on spring break now, by the way) I can't think of one that will not qualify for the lottery scholarship. Yes, it is for Tennessee schools only but I am OK with that. I have two children of my own who are enjoying a Tennessee education as we speak. (Actually, one is preparing to board a plane to Germany as we speak.) Now, I hope every one of those athletes strive their hardest to play in college if that is what they want. I also hope that all of them know there is another option in case that does not happen.

825629045[/snapback]

good point about it being cooler when the most is at stake in the fall, but since most of these girls are already playing fall ball, they are used to playing in late October. another good reason for playing in the fall, is that they will already be in shape from having played up thru Aug 1 in travel ball, therefore, fewer preseason practice days would be required, so the season could start in mid aug., and end by oct 31. that will not interfere with those girls playing basketball.

one last negative point about spring softball, is what you mentioned....spring break...its bad that they play about 1-2 weeks, then quit for a week for spring break. some schools wont even let the girls off for spring break. If their spring breaks are allowed for them to take, many have to cut them short because they have to play games the weekend at the beginning of the break, and also at the end of the break.

You and I may both be ok with the lottery being for Tn schools only, but try tell that to an emotional 18 year old female that wants to go to school out of state. Ha!

How many of the people posting here have kids who are now, or were, on an athletic scholarship?

Playing a sport is college is a JOB. Most of these girls play softball spring, summer, and fall from the age of 10, 11, 12, and up. It's a great game and it's alot of fun.

Being good up until the age of 16, or recruitment time, is common.

Going to the next level is tough, long, hard work. Some girls are up for it, and some girls are not. Most parents want it alot more than the kids do.

There are so many factors that play into getting a scholarship.

Some of the girls who are up for the hard work don't have everything the colleges are looking for:

size, speed, "game" (offense & defense), and intangibles.

Will the rest of my team get along with this girl? , asks the college coach.

Is she a leader? Can she be a role player? Has she ever overcome adversity?

GRADES!!! are important.

So, the field is narrowed even more.

Then, those who have what it takes are hit with outside elements.

Injuries. Alot of great ballplayers end their high school career with an injury.

Burn out. Parents talk about working year round to get noticed. Get a scholarship. It's all they hear. Then, one day, they have a car, they notice a certain boy, they get a part time job, and being at the ballfield 24/7 is no longer what it was two seasons ago. OR, they get recruited and talk to girls who are already there and here about how the team practices in college THREE times a day in preseason, lifting weights, running, situation practices, and oh yeah, real practices.

The number of girls who make it to level of actually playing in college should be cheered for, alot. It's a VERY FEW of many talented girls who get a scholarship and play in college. I don't care if it's DI, DII, NAIA, or JUCO. All those girls have worked to earn all they have in front of them.

College sports is a job. If you're telling your 15 year old anything different, you're not being honest with yourself or your kid.

I am not trying to be negative. I played football in college on a full scholarship.

( an SEC school ) I would not trade my college athletic experience for anything in the world. I did not enjoy the hard work all the time, I sometimes wondered what it would be like to be a regular student without the daily workouts. BUT I wouldn't have changed my situation for the world!

Now, my daughter is playing softball in college. She hates the hard work somtimes, too. But she likes the feeling of hitting a rope down the line and sliding into second. She loves making a good defensive stop and a bang-bang play at first when the umpire yells "OUT!"

Those are the times we all work hard for, and it is worth it.

But, it is work. A college scholarship is a JOB, but a fun job.

Besides, who can make that kind of money working at the mall?