Where is the Sprint Kings? in midstate

sprint247

As most people know, Lamarcus Coker will not be competing this year due to the fact Coach Fulmer won't allow him to.( Dont blame him, we know Coker's hamstring)

So that leaves the door open for a new sprint king.

4 x 4

* Franklin lost 1st and anchor legs.

* Hillwood ?

* I pick McGavok to go to state in the 4x4

whose gonna step their game up?

MY PICK : McGavok......... watch and see !

4 x 2

*Hillwood lost 2 legs.

*Kenwood lost a few.

*Northeast still has a few.

these were the top teams in Regionals 2004.

MY PICK : Northeast.......... watch and see!

4 x 1

* Maplewood were champions in 2004, but as we know they lost 2 to gradution( 1 was the hurdler) and another 1, was the illegal player on the football team(20 year old) their 2nd leg. ( they look to be out)

*Franklin lost their 2nd and 3rd leg.

* McGavok was in the lead till thier anchor pulled up injured. (sleeper?)

* Hillwood another sleeper, theirs no tellin what Chuck Lewis is cookin.

* Northeast 4th could be a sleeper.

* Stratford, Kenwood?

MY PICK : Will have to see !!!!!

Who can own the sprints in Middle Tennessee?

Any ideas or names come to mind?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's way too early to know what is going to happen in the Nashville region this year, but I feel like in general that this might be a little bit of a down year for the boys, at least for the sprint relays.

Some coaching changes will affect the landscape a little bit. Franklin has a new coach that has won state championships in Illinois, and he knows the sport and will build that program. Though Franklin lost a couple of kids, I would give them the benefit of the doubt in at least the 4x4. I know they qualified in the 4x1 last year, as well. In my mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the entire region as a team. Also, Coach Kordisch and Coach Hudson are out at Northeast, the guys who crafted that state champion 4x1 from a couple of years back. It will not help them to lose those guys.

I don't even want to guess on the sprint relays yet, but I can tell you that as of now neither us or Northeast have enough speed to qualify in the 4x1 or the 4x2. We lost all four guys on our 4x2 that went to state last year, so we are down considerably. We ran a very pedestrian 1:33.6 last weekend and beat NE and McGavock. Granted, McGavock was very leg tired and neither may have been running their regular four, but still...we're just not very good this year. Look to schools like Hillwood, Franklin and others to put something together. Stratford sometimes magically puts together a 42.5, just wait and see like you said. As far as the "sprint king" to replace Coker, isn't the kid from Lavergne back? Edwards finished 2nd in the 100 in the region last year, and he'd figure to be the favorite to win the 100 if he's back...and I think he is.

4x4? Franklin and McGavock, Hillwood, a coupe others. The Raiders cruised a 3:33 the other day and I think DeRay Sloss is a great talent. Going to be a tough hurdler in the region this year, as well. We have no chance in any relay, unless we can mold a 4x800 together...which is 100% totally wide open this year. But that's for another thread.

In conclusion: Franklin will still be tough, Hillwood still has Chuck Lewis, McGavock does have some middle distance talent (4x4 and 4x8), and the Clarksville schools are not quite as competitive this year. Everything else, your guess is as good as mine.

It's way too early to know what is going to happen in the Nashville region this year, but I  feel like in general that this might be a little bit of a down year for the boys, at least for the sprint relays.

Some coaching changes will affect the landscape a little bit. Franklin has a new coach that has won state championships in Illinois, and he knows the sport and will build that program. Though Franklin lost a couple of kids, I would give them the benefit of the doubt in at least the 4x4. I know they qualified in the 4x1 last year, as well. In my mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the entire region as a team. Also, Coach Kordisch and Coach Hudson are out at Northeast, the guys who crafted that state champion 4x1 from a couple of years back. It will not help them to lose those guys.

I don't even want to guess on the sprint relays yet, but I can tell you that as of now neither us or Northeast have enough speed to qualify in the 4x1 or the 4x2. We lost all four guys on our 4x2 that went to state last year, so we are down considerably. We ran a very pedestrian 1:33.6 last weekend and beat NE and McGavock. Granted, McGavock was very leg tired and neither may have been running their regular four, but still...we're just not very good this year. Look to schools like Hillwood, Franklin and others to put something together. Stratford sometimes magically puts together a 42.5, just wait and see like you said. As far as the "sprint king" to replace Coker, isn't the kid from Lavergne back? Edwards finished 2nd in the 100 in the region last year, and he'd figure to be the favorite to win the 100 if he's back...and I think he is.

4x4? Franklin and McGavock, Hillwood, a coupe others. The Raiders cruised a 3:33 the other day and I think DeRay Sloss is a great talent. Going to be a tough hurdler in the region this year, as well. We have no chance in any relay, unless we can mold a 4x800 together...which is 100% totally wide open this year. But that's for another thread.

In conclusion: Franklin will still be tough, Hillwood still has Chuck Lewis, McGavock does have some middle distance talent (4x4 and 4x8), and the Clarksville schools are not quite as competitive this year. Everything else, your guess is as good as mine.

825626971[/snapback]

Thanks for your synopsis. Your talking about Donald Edwards, he graduated, but his brother Derrick is still there( he's not as fast as his brother)

Deray Sloss is a very great talent!

But you say Franklin, I havent heard too much about them. You think they could win the region?

Thanks for your synopsis. Your talking about Donald Edwards, he graduated, but his brother Derrick is still there( he's not as fast as his brother)

Deray Sloss is a very great talent!

But you say Franklin, I havent heard too much about them. You think they could win the region?

825627038[/snapback]

So Edwards is gone...I didn't know that. I'm sure Coach Evans will miss him. I don't really know much about Franklin, I'm just going on a hunch that they will be good. I might be getting carried away when I say win the region, but they'll surprise some people. I guess Hunters Lane should remain the favorite for no other reason that Bernard Wilson, but Franklin has Hewitt, some solid relays, some jumpers, and they have a new hurdler this year that will contend from what I've heard.

I guess my logic is pretty weird...I'm thinking that Franklin went top two in the state this year in two sports where athleticism is important: football and wrestling. That means they've got the kids in the building to jump, throw and run if they can get them out. I think the new guy will get them out.

Well the Region should be very interesting there are many sleepers and dark horses that always seem to emerge out of no where. The relays should be intersting because their is no clear cut dominate squad. Hillwood should have nice relays as well as Franklin and Mcgavok. But none out of Clarksville? somehthings always cookin in Clarksville. Somebody will step up and represent their city. Kenwood and Northeast always have at least one good relay if not more, so you dont think they will compete, heard from a friend of mine that in Clarksville Northeast 4 x2 was very nice. When is the next meet that we can see some of the teams from Clarksville?

Well the Region should be very interesting there are many sleepers and dark horses that always seem to emerge out of no where. The relays should be intersting because their is no clear cut dominate squad. Hillwood should have nice relays as well as Franklin and Mcgavok. But none out of Clarksville? somehthings always cookin in Clarksville. Somebody will step up and represent their city. Kenwood and Northeast always have at least one good relay if not more, so you dont think they will compete, heard from a friend of mine that in Clarksville Northeast 4 x2 was very nice. When is the next meet that we can see some of the teams from Clarksville?

825627527[/snapback]

Something is certainly cooking in Clarksville, it just happens to be the girls this year. Rossview's sprint girls, with Lynette Rives and Trisha Davis (formerly of NEHS) together, combined with a state 400m qualifier in Chiamaka Obi...will be very formidable. Rives and Davis finished 2-3 in the state 100m a couple of years ago, I think. Now they are together, on the same team...that has to be scary.

But the guys team situation in Clarksville is certainly not as strong as it has been in the past. We don't have a 3:20 4x4 this time around, or a 1:28 4x2. Trust me, I'm on the track everyday with them. Click on my Kenwood track link (in my signature), and pull up the results to our Early Bird Invitational last weekend to see us, NE and NW in action on opening weekend. I was a bit underwhelmed. NE does have some guys back in their sprint relays (Outlaw, Scott, Grayman, etc.), and they do know how to pass the stick, they've been together before, etc...that will help them. And they may gel later and get in better shape, as will we. But right now, I don't think either us or NE has the speed to advance either sprint relay out of the region, just based on the 2 scrimmages and 1 invitational I've seen us both run. We've both got a terribly long way to go. This is a 32 team (or so) region...being in the top 2 is a enormous task. And again, losing both coaches at NEHS is a pretty traumatic thing and takes some getting used to. It will take time, and they may not get back to their previous level.

Oh, the next meet the locals will clash at is a relay meet at Rossview on April 2nd. Since Rossview is the host of the regional meet this year, I would expect some Nashville schools to compete in it so that they can get a look at the facility. It should be a good meet.

Something is certainly cooking in Clarksville, it just happens to be the girls this year. Rossview's sprint girls, with Lynette Rives and Trisha Davis (formerly of NEHS) together, combined with a state 400m qualifier in Chiamaka Obi...will be very formidable. Rives and Davis finished 2-3 in the state 100m a couple of years ago, I think. Now they are together, on the same team...that has to be scary.

But the guys team situation in Clarksville is certainly not as strong as it has been in the past. We don't have a 3:20 4x4 this time around, or a 1:28 4x2. Trust me, I'm on the track everyday with them. Click on my Kenwood track link (in my signature), and pull up the results to our Early Bird Invitational last weekend to see us, NE and NW in action on opening weekend. I was a bit underwhelmed. NE does have some guys back in their sprint relays (Outlaw, Scott, Grayman, etc.), and they do know how to pass the stick, they've been together before, etc...that will help them. And they may gel later and get in better shape, as will we. But right now, I don't think either us or NE has the speed to advance either sprint relay out of the region, just based on the 2 scrimmages and 1 invitational I've seen us both run. We've both got a terribly long way to go. This is a 32 team (or so) region...being in the top 2 is a enormous task. And again, losing both coaches at NEHS is a pretty traumatic thing and takes some getting used to. It will take time, and they may not get back to their previous level.

Oh, the next meet the locals will clash at is a relay meet at Rossview on April 2nd. Since Rossview is the host of the regional meet this year, I would expect some Nashville schools to compete in it so that they can get a look at the facility. It should be a good meet.

825627714[/snapback]

I'll be there. Kenwoodrun you always keep us updated. We must have the SCOOP on Clarksville. Since we dont seem them to Regions. They always have something up their sleeve that no one knows about. I did'nt know the Northeast girl (Trisha) went to Rossview, they should be nice. Rossview could own the 4x1. I'll have to let our girls know whats up. Why did she move? They should have a nice 4 x 4 considering they placed high last year and Trisha a 400 runner. (do you have your 400 runner back this year?) It will be interesting to see Rossview's duo match up against the duo Erika Palmer & Monica Braswell from Memphis East. Thanks Kenwoodrun.

I'll give my "Synopsis"....

We practice on the same track as Northeast so I get to see them almost everday and I know some of the boys that run for them so I can tell you whats really going on.....

1st off Northeast's 4x2 is sick and they should go to state.

They should be one of the best in the region.

^Northeast is trying to hide because they have the guys but they have not run thier A team yet. I know the meet your talking about last week and Northeast ran with only 1 person from their A squad. That was Cedrick Outlaw.

They ran w/o Mark Scott and Justin Grayman, and that new dude who runs 1st. Justin Grayman, ran a 22.3 handtime a few weeks ago on our track in practice. Mark Scott is fast too... they ran 1:34 w/o them 2. they ran w/ 3 substitutes. when they get back its gon be on. (They will probably run it @ Rossview relays)

I know Justin did'nt run because his hamsting was hurtin, and Mark just did'nt run it and he is still recovering from a back injury from football. (can't tell though)

I'M not trying to ride them or be on their jock but, Northeast can go 1:29( if not better) I see them in practice trust me.. when they get into shape and stop playing and run their REAL 4 guys they will do it. Give a 1:32 or lower first time and it will go down as long as those 4 run together.

and.......

yeah Rossview's girls 4x4 will win state, they are sick 4 real we have Trish and Lynette who should split 56 or 57 and Chimaka who should split 58 or 57 and Tiffany(Lynette sis) who should split 59 or 58 or 57. They will win if they stay healty.

3:55 or below.

watch for Rossview' s boys 4x4 we ran 3:29 @ regionals last year and we return 3 legs. we are just going to get better.....

Clarksville has some speed........

I'll give my "Synopsis"....

We practice on the same track as Northeast so I get to see them almost everday and I know some of the boys that  run for them so I can tell you whats really going on.....

1st off Northeast's 4x2 is sick and they should go to state.

They should be one of the best in the region.

^Northeast is trying to hide because they have the guys but they have not run thier A team yet. I know the meet your talking about last week and Northeast ran with only 1 person from their A squad. That was Cedrick Outlaw.

They ran w/o Mark Scott and Justin Grayman, and that new dude who runs 1st. Justin Grayman, ran a 22.3 handtime a few weeks ago on our track in practice. Mark Scott is fast too... they ran 1:34 w/o them 2. they ran w/  3 substitutes. when they get back its gon be on. (They will probably run it @ Rossview relays)

I know Justin did'nt run because his hamsting was hurtin, and Mark just did'nt run it and he is still recovering from a back injury from football. (can't tell though)

I'M not trying to ride them or be on their jock but, Northeast can go 1:29( if not better) I see them in practice trust me.. when they get into shape and stop playing and run their REAL 4 guys  they will do it. Give a 1:32 or lower first time and it will go down as long as those 4 run together.

and.......

yeah Rossview's girls 4x4 will win state, they are sick 4 real we have Trish and Lynette who should split 56 or 57 and Chimaka who should split 58 or 57 and Tiffany(Lynette sis) who should split 59 or 58 or 57. They will win if they stay healty.

3:55 or below.

watch for Rossview' s boys  4x4 we ran 3:29 @ regionals last year and we return 3 legs. we are just going to get better.....

Clarksville has some speed........

825629748[/snapback]

That's the same guys from NE that I mentioned already, that's not news to me. They practice on our track when they aren't practicing on yours, and most of those guys have been around for a while. I already mentioned they are experienced and will drop time as the season goes on. 1:29 is definitely not bad if they can run it, and may even be good enough to go to state, but it isn't stellar. We ran 1:29 last year, and we were far from stellar. Everytime people underestimate the city schools of Nashville, they laugh last. I stand by all my earlier statements, I know they haven't put it together yet. It's not even April. Funny thing about Grayman, he probably wouldn't qualify for the 200m as an individual, but he's already gone to state as an individual...in the TWO MILE RUN, of all things. How crazy is that? A kid has already gone to state in the 3200, but he's fast enough to be on a good 4x2. That's very unusual, to say that least.

And Rossview's girls are amongst the favorites in the 4x4, yes, without a doubt. But it is not wise to come on here and say that they "will win the state", like it is a done deal. I assure you if you asked McNeil or White the same question that they would not guarantee victory. As good as Rossview is, you must always remember who is the defending state champs in the 4x4, and the defending team champions yet again. Brentwood will be ready to defend their 4x4 title, it will certainly take a 3:55 to take that away. It is way, way too early to be crowning anyone champion, especially with Davis's history of injuries. Under 4:00, that's a very safe bet. Beating Brentwood? It's possible, but it is not a sure bet. Until you dethrone the champ, you are always the underdog.

The boys 4x4...wide open. Anybody's game.

Kenwoodrun you are right, I should'nt say they will win because there are no guarantees in track and field because...... anything can happen a dropped stick, injury,.....etc. So I will say if everyone stays healthy and get into good shape there is a chance they could win a state championship. Better huh :D

I'm not underestimating Nashville, I know they will bring it. I just think NE 4 x2 will be one of the best in the region. It's kool Kenwoodrun.

p.s. Your Coach Finley, kool, da skinny guy! j/k :P