Best of Preps Player of the Year

dnasty

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adams got the award and it comes out in a few days. This is no big surprise. Before the season started I told a few folks this was a lock, regardless of who did better or what kind of season Adams had, (figuring of course it wouldn't be a total bust). The TFP is predictable to a fault. They pick a guy, sometimes a couple of guys, hype them to no end throughout the season and then give them an award at the end. It makes the kid look good and makes the paper look like they know what they are doing. Sometimes they are right, but this year they are not. Adams is very good, but he is not the best in the city, in fact his improvement from jr. to sr. was not even close to as profound as was Little's or Skogan's. But, that doesn't matter, he was TFP's guy before it started and did nothing to lose the honor. I will say that he is a great kid and very good player and I will be pulling for him as I hope all of Chatt would be at OD.

Adams got the award and it comes out in a few days.  This is no big surprise. Before the season started I told a few folks this was a lock, regardless of who did better or what kind of season Adams had, (figuring of course it wouldn't be a total bust).  The TFP is predictable to a fault. They pick a guy, sometimes a couple of guys, hype them to no end throughout the season and then give them an award at the end.  It makes the kid look good and makes the paper look like they know what they are doing.  Sometimes they are right, but this year they are not.  Adams is very good, but he is not the best in the city, in fact his improvement from jr. to sr. was not even close to as profound as was Little's or Skogan's.  But, that doesn't matter, he was TFP's guy before it started and did nothing to lose the honor.  I will say that he is a great kid and very good player and I will be pulling for him as I hope all of Chatt would be at OD.

825629769[/snapback]

I don't know where you got your information but as far as the player of the year goes, Charles Little got it. And Coach Green got coach of the year. They went down this week for their picture.

I don't know where you got your information but as far as the player of the year goes, Charles Little got it.  And Coach Green got coach of the year.  They went down this week for their picture.

825629996[/snapback]

charles got AREA player of the year, adams im guessing if you say he got it, got CITY player of the year, 2 different, but essentially the same things...and sr35 i woudln't say that the paper had their guy in adams and stuck with him all year, i'd say skogen got a lot more pub than adams this year, no one really talked about baylor at all, but if either one that won it deserved it and thats a fact

Michael,

You are right about the area and city thing, that is the way it works, so no one is lying as someone suggested. However, you are simply wrong about the hype of the TFP. I get the paper AND I predicted this before even one game was played. So to make sure people knew I was right, I cataloged the year...I love being right. The TFP did nothing on Skogan, no article no nothing. And Adams got his big one and then many headlines. Every time this happend I would make a big deal about it, again, just to prove my point when the time came, because I was THAT sure of what was going to happen. AGain, Jonathan is a great kid and a very good player, but he did not improve nor was he to his team what Skogan was nor for that matter what Little was to theirs. Wait till November next year, and I will again tell you who the hyped player will be...its really not that hard to predict what they will do. I was right with the older Skogen, Cook and now Adams, I wish there was some way to bet on this and make some money!

Adams had a solid year, but the award will go to Skogan. Credentials: 32-2(2 losses is two losses), 4th straight trip to the state tourny, #1 in the state polls all season, Top scorer, assist, and steals on his team, and finally he was on top of the leader board for the city in nearly every statistical category.

Oh yeah that talk about Chuck Little getting the All-CITY POY is crazy talk Ooltewah is as far as the city goes. He is def. all-area POY.

Who is everyone's guess to make the All-City team? Jeff Smith of Tyner will make it, undeservingly might I add. But who is everybody else thinking?

825629129[/snapback]

Actually, I think that Jeff Smith deserves to make the All-City Team (Even though he had a better year last year). He played through an adversarial year, without consistent help. The team was plagued with hints of jealousy, thus the dismissal and quitting of many players that were part of the problem. He played most of the year on a squad that consisted of mostly b- team players. He averaged high double figures in points without taking a high amount of shots and double figures in rebounds. Not only that, he's a good kid and a solid student, as are Skogen & Adams. He should be considered, if nothing else, because of his omission on last year's all- city team.

Adams should get player of they year over Skogen. I like Skogen he is fun to watch but Adams is the better all around player. There points per game were very close, caleb may have averaged 2 or 3 more, and Adams played aginst tougher competition day in and day out. But where adams wins the award is on defence. I would say caleb should win it if it were just offense, but its not. Caleb doesnt play a lick of D. ( im not doing this to slam his game yall know i like him, im just saying who i think should win). I know he avg like 3 steals a game but thats only because he guards a crappy player and just goes around picking people. It works, but he doesnt play any D. Adams is always banging bodies in the paint scraping for rebounds and doing whatever it takes.

Johnathan Adams is the better player. He and Caleb Skogen have the same level of talent and can play the same game. But Adams plays his game from 6'6" and not 6'.

P.S. The post about the TFP hyping a player/coach/team, I might agree with. Look @ last year. Brainerd was the Team of the Year? Coach Barker was Coach of the Year? Grace was the team and Coach Mattheiss was the coach. Grace went from sub .500 the year before to State Runner-Up?!?! Yeah, I'm still bitter.

Johnathan Adams is the better player. He and Caleb Skogen have the same level of talent and can play the same game. But Adams plays his game from 6'6" and not 6'.

P.S. The post about the TFP hyping a player/coach/team, I might agree with. Look @ last year. Brainerd was the Team of the Year? Coach Barker was Coach of the Year? Grace was the team and Coach Mattheiss was the coach. Grace went from sub .500 the year before to State Runner-Up?!?! Yeah, I'm still bitter.

825630539[/snapback]

ooltewah from 10-17 to 24-9 in AAA and beat grace by almost 30..i'd say it should have gone to ooltewah on the coach, and brainerd had the best team in the city last year thus they had team of the year

ooltewah from 10-17 to 24-9 in AAA and beat grace by almost 30..i'd say it should have gone to ooltewah on the coach, and brainerd had the best team in the city last year thus they had team of the year

825630686[/snapback]

You turn around a team from the cellar to State Runner-Up and no love?

I know Coach Baker and he is a buddy of mine, but shouldn't have got Coach of the Year. How far did ya'll get in the regions? It's not who coached the better team, but who did a better job of coaching with what he had.

Brainerd, yes was the best team. But the way the TFP explains stuff, they rate people within their classification, that explains why Temple was ranked no. 1 most of the season this year over McMinn, Bradley, Baylor, and teams of the like.