What's the story on Delmonico skipping sen year?

Rabble Rouser

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, hes definately ready for the jump. I watched him play against Baylor yesterday, and they brought him in to close and he was throwing 89-90 MPH consistently. I think he will handle it fine as long as he can handle the academics.

825629953[/snapback]

I haven't had a chance to see him play, but from most accounts if he is this good, why play DI ball at all? Why not play 1 more yr of HS and go into the draft? If he is ranked 15 nationally in HS as a junior, then he would probably be top 5 - 10 next season meaning he would probably be drafted in the first 3 rounds. If he has a career is pro ball, why not go to the minors and get paid to get professional experience?

I haven't had a chance to see him play, but from most accounts if he is this good, why play DI ball at all? Why not play 1 more yr of HS and go into the draft? If he is ranked 15 nationally in HS as a junior, then he would probably be top 5 - 10 next season meaning he would probably be drafted in the first 3 rounds.  If he has a career is pro ball, why not go to the minors and get paid to get professional experience?

825630041[/snapback]

Maybe the chance to play for his father?

I haven't had a chance to see him play, but from most accounts if he is this good, why play DI ball at all? Why not play 1 more yr of HS and go into the draft? If he is ranked 15 nationally in HS as a junior, then he would probably be top 5 - 10 next season meaning he would probably be drafted in the first 3 rounds.  If he has a career is pro ball, why not go to the minors and get paid to get professional experience?

825630041[/snapback]

His father needs him at Tennessee for a lot of reasons.

I didn't see where CoachT posted this link to the article in the News Sentinel, but here it is: Farragut's Delmonico set to join dad at UT It does require you to be a free "Registered User" of the News Sentinel website.

Edited by HiwasseeVol

825630041[/snapback]

Hmmmm...maturity...physically, mentally and emotionally? Not everyone jumps ship based on physical ability. Ask his Mom and Dad what they think. Also, he made two plays (both alike) this weekend in the finals of the Scenic City Classic that were just ridiculous... no one else on the high school level...and I mean no one...makes those plays. Going up the middle full throttle, spin move and a strike to first. Are you kidding me...he looked like a figure skater. WOW!!!

825630041[/snapback]

I agree with you on that he should stay for his senior year. I have never actually seen him play, but I have heard alot about him. If he goes to college early then he will miss out on all of the perks on being a high school senior, and then he can decided on going to play D1 ball or being drafted. Try to talk him out of going early. To whoever said that he's the *only* high school baseball player who can make plays like you described, I would have to beg to differ. I've seen 2 ball players in the past 2 years and another this year in the Chattanooga Area who would make the web jems segment on Baseball Tonight almost every night.

Thanks to block scheduling it's been very common for Knox area seniors to graduate early and enroll in college for the spring semester.

What Delmonico's doing is not all that different.

He's already 18.

His high school coach says "he's ready".

Based on the opinions of one of the most prestigious pro-showcases in the country, he stands head to head with this year's seniors.

He'll have an opportunity to play for, and help, his Father.

He's already played on two state championship teams.

Edited by bizazz

And to add to the last post he can probably read well, because the hand writing on the wall most likely reads that he will not lead Farragut HS to any other State Championships.

I know several kids this year, who are 19. Obviously they were held back a year and this is not that uncommon. The difference is that they would have never imagined making this kind of move and miss there senior year.

What will be his decision if his dad isn't retained after this year? Will he be a scholarship athlete?

Just for the sake of conversation, by him getting his GED, won't this make him ineligable for the "draft" (military), if it were brought back?

Has anyone ever skipped their senior year, got their GED, played what would have been their senior yr. of ball, as a freshman in college? Haven't ever heard of this happening before.

Edited by bleachercoach

maybe the family wants tony to experience college life for 3 years and doing this will also get him into pro ball a year earlier. he is ready to play d1.  makes some sense if you ask me.

825633755[/snapback]

If I'm not mistaken, if he wants to play pro ball (and I assume only) he's at an age where he is draft able no matter whether he's in HS school or not.

Here is what I call a reality check... Look at his situation hypothetically. Still being the player he is today as a given, if he did not have the "in" at UT that he does and if Farragut had had pitching and hitting like they do this year the passed two years would you recommend the same thing for this young man?

My guess is it would never cross his mind if either one of these things were not true. If the answer is yes and he still would choose to move on, then I'd have to say good luck and that reality begins for sure in a few years. Daddy won't be able to draft him too.