fhsd

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Did you know?

There were approximately 720 wrestlers that competed in the

2005 State AAU Championships in Cookeville.

120 High School wrestlers competed Friday night.

220 Tots, Bantams and Midgets competed Saturday morning.

380 Juniors and Middle School wrestlers competed Saturday evening.

It took 5 hours to complete the high school session, 7 hours to complete the morning

session, and 8.5 hours to complete the evening session!

Now that's a lot of Wrestling!!

Well done Brad Fiscus!!

http://www.fiscusconsulting.com/AAU/AAUlink.html

I heard nothing but positives, except a few region quailifiers that were MIA's.

soms

Did you know?

There were approximately 720 wrestlers that competed in the

2005 State AAU Championships in Cookeville.

120 High School wrestlers competed Friday night.

220 Tots, Bantams and Midgets competed Saturday morning.

380 Juniors and Middle School wrestlers competed Saturday evening.

It took 5 hours to complete the high school session, 7 hours to complete the morning

session, and 8.5 hours to complete the evening session!

Now that's a lot of Wrestling!!

Well done Brad Fiscus!!

http://www.fiscusconsulting.com/AAU/AAUlink.html

I heard nothing but positives, except a few region quailifiers that were MIA's.

soms

825639573[/snapback]

Sommers,

Shoot me an email. wrestling@fiscusconsulting.com

Thanks

Brad

Guys, I think there was only about 650 kids that actually wrestled in this tournament. Either way that's still a great number for a State Tournament.

Cookeville High School has a great facility. The management of the tournament maybe needs to be looked at as wrestling a 2am is tough on some of the younger wrestlers (not to mention some of the OLDER coaches).

This tournament was ran poorly and managed very poorly by ficus. The sched. was bad so bad that 6 of my 10 qualifiers that came quit. There parents made them. All of my parents were extremely upset. I know everyone, such as AAU officals and Cookeville guys were happy with the way things went. I remember why I stopped attending AAU meets.

Edited by Drem2Achev

As far as Brad Fiscus and his company's involvement, all went well. Where limitations were placed on Brad's involement is where there were concerns; but hey, I didn't personally count actual heads, but 650 wrestlers is tremendous, not to mention, it's the future of what could be 50+ seasoned wrestling teams around the state.

Great job, Brad, on what portion you were "allowed" to do in this tournament. You're helping to grow our sport!!

Dave

I heard a lot of complaints about dead mats, but it is my opinion that is a result of running this large of a tournament with the folder system. Brad should have been allowed to run this as a normal tournament (keeping all the mats live) and it would have been much more successful and no one would have been wrestling after midnight.

My hats are off to AAU for have a great tournament with such large numbers!

The dead mats were mostly in the morning sessions when the computer was being used only. When we went to both computer and folder in the evening session we were held up only when the computer could not keep up. The folder system has been used for several seasons with great success. One computer can not keep up with six mats and two divisions at the same time with this many wrestlers. We have tried many different programs and individuals without success. With the folder the wrestlers are on one mat for the entire tournament with much less confussion. This makes a huge difference for the younger kids and also for the parents trying to keep up. The Fiscus system was used Friday night and they were wrestling well after midnight. This also happened to be the least amount of wrestlers for a division. I really don't think that they were very well prepared for the numbers that wrestled in this tournament. Most tournaments that Mr. Fiscus has run don't come close to these numbers. They are very capable with a smaller number of wrestlers IMO.

Edited by Coach R

How could they not have been prepared for the numbers attended. They new for two weeks the max. number of kids that may attend. Mr. Ficus system was a problem. The folder system saved us from not being there to 6 or 7:00 a.m. There were continual mistakes in brackets. These were entering mistakes. It was just very poorly ran and poorly hosted.

It looked as if the organizers and the aau folks just dropped the ball again. Poor, poor planning. Poor, poor ran event. Asking kids this age to compete till 2, 3, 4 in the morning is too much. Time went forward and some of these kids were from the eastern time zone. Just bad planning and organization.

This is only my point of view, and I know it was shared by some others and I know some will say all was well.

Edited by Drem2Achev

How could they not have been prepared for the numbers attended.  They new for two weeks the max. number of kids that may attend. Mr. Ficus system was a problem. The folder system saved us from not being there to 6 or 7:00 a.m. There were continual mistakes in brackets. These were entering mistakes. It was just very poorly ran and poorly hosted.

It looked as if the organizers and the aau folks just dropped the ball again. Poor, poor planning. Poor, poor ran event. Asking kids this age to compete till 2, 3, 4 in the morning is too much. Time went forward and some of these kids were from the eastern time zone. Just bad planning and organization.

This is only my point of view, and I know it was shared by some others and I know some will say all was well.

825642335[/snapback]

I think that all of you who feel that my system was the problem, should know that all we did was enter results. We did not manage the tournament the way that we wanted to manage the tournament, that portion was taking out of our hands. If we had been managing the tournament, we would have completed much earlier. We were never behind on the computer system, in actuality we were waiting for results to come back to us.

The folder system could be an effective system but it was not effective in the way it was used on Saturday. I was not given the opportunity to provide input or consultation as to how things should have ran Saturday. We were told that we needed to keep all weight classes on the same round in their bracket so that the finals could be wrestled together. We did not agree with that but we were not given the opportunity to make any changes until the end of the tournament in the last rounds.

Keeping a folder on the same mat and keeping the weight classes in the same round is not an effective way to run a tournament. I am disappointed in the way that things happened on Saturday, but it was not my decision to run the tournament the way it was ran. It is not realistic to expect kids from 7 weight classes to stand behind a mat in the way of the table workers wondering when they are going to wrestle. I will take the blame only for the wrestleback to 2nd matches that were in the tournament. I felt when I rec'd the entries from the regions that it would have been a good idea, and the coach of the Cookeville club agreed. Neither one of us thought about the added time that those matches would add. I don't think that those were the reasons we wrestled until 2am however.

When the morning session ended and we had a chance to make the changes for the afternoon session, we were ready to wrestle long before the awards for the morning session had ended. I really felt that we should have been wrestling during that time as soon as the brackets and the bout sheets were ready.

Those complaining about my services, will complain, but those who know me and know how I run a tournament will know that I was not as fully involved in 2nd session as was needed. They felt that a change was necessary and they ran it their way, I had no involvement in the 2nd session other than filling the folders, and we kept them full throughout until we were done.

If you have any further complaints about me or my tournament management, send them directly to me.

Brad Fiscus

wrestling@fiscusconsulting.com

How could they not have been prepared for the numbers attended.  They new for two weeks the max. number of kids that may attend. Mr. Ficus system was a problem. The folder system saved us from not being there to 6 or 7:00 a.m. There were continual mistakes in brackets. These were entering mistakes. It was just very poorly ran and poorly hosted.

825642335[/snapback]

As far as the errors in entering were concerned, the majority of those were created at the scoring table. In the majority of the cases where the wrong wrestler was advanced occured because the table circled the wrong winner or scored on the wrong side of the bout sheet. We cannot possibly be held responsible for the erroneous information that we receive from the tables. We had a system in place to insure that this did not happen during the morning session, but one of the Cookeville club coaches who was not involved at the head table made the decision not to allow us to use that system in the 2nd session on Saturday.

I am available for your comments.

Brad Fiscus

wrestling@fiscusconsulting.com