IMAC Baseball

IMACJack

Johnny, you probably already know by now that Greeneville and East split yesterday.

Who is likely to pitch the DH on Friday for JC?  I have not seen who pitched for JC yesterday, but I know Chapman went Monday.

825652543[/snapback]

How does the IMAC compare with other districts? How about player comparisons? Coaches? I heard Chapman is going to Milligan, Bowlin to UT but where is Jenkins going? Isn't he Jeff's best pitcher?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Greeneville play Morristown East tonight and have to agree Greeneville will be hard to beat. Have not seen Jeff but hear they are loaded too.. East had some strong players to.

825651925[/snapback]

We lost a tough one here....should have won

News Article

Devils, East Split Baseball Twin-Bill

By: By JOE BYRD/Sports Writer

Source: The Greeneville Sun

04-20-2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greeneville took a hard-luck conference split with Morristown East Tuesday night at Dale Alexander Field, playing solid baseball en route to a 6-3 win in the opener and then literally throwing the second game away after a rousing comeback to force extra innings where the Hurricanes won 9-8.

The Devils weren’t flawless in game one, but they were solid. At the plate, Greeneville had 11 hits, including two doubles by Josh Cutshaw. In the field, they made only one error, and East’s only real offense came on a solo homer.

The second game was a little different story. East lit up Greeneville’s pitchers for 16 hits, including five for extra bases. Despite playing from behind from the absolute start, the Devils chipped away and tied it in the bottom of the seventh. The top of the eighth wasn’t good to Greeneville, though, when Morristown East’s Kent Basile hit a double and kept going all the way to home on two Devil throwing errors.

Despite the split, the Devils are still in good position. It was only their second conference loss of the year. Greeneville is 13-8 overall, 9-2 in the IMAC. thumb Greeneville’s games today have been canceled. They play on Friday, hosting Jefferson County in a doubleheader. :lol:

Morristown East actually took the lead in game one 1-0 when Tyler Dalton led off the top of the third with a solo homer. The lead didn’t last long, though. The Devils plated five runs in the bottom half of the inning.

Cutshaw got the ball rolling with a two-run double to deep center. Nathan Venerable and and Bryan Dean each had a run-scoring single.

East pulled a run back in the top of the fifth on an RBI single from Cory Shaw, but again Greeneville answered. Devon Jordan pushed the Devils’ lead to 6-2 when he reached home on an error. The Hurricanes trimmed it back with a run in the sixth, but that’s as close as they got.

Cutshaw led the Devils at the plate and also went all seven innings for the pitching victory. He was three-for-four at the plate with two doubles. Venerable and Matt Cutshaw each had two base hits.

Morristown East had 16 hits in the second game, and it started early. The Hurricanes scored three in the top of the first, marked by Jimmy Mosier’s two-run double before Greeneville got the first out.

Greeneville finally got out of the inning trailing only 3-0, but couldn’t make any headway on Hurricane pitcher Tyler Dalton, who faced the minimum through three innings.

The Devils finally got on the board in the fourth when John Carter drove in J.D. Quillen on an RBI triple and then scored on a sac fly from Josh Cutshaw to make it 3-2.

Morristown East gave themselves some breathing room with four runs in the top of the fifth, but Greeneville didn’t go away, scoring two in the bottom half to keep things within reach at 7-4.

The Devils trimmed the deficit with a run in the sixth. Morristown East came back with one in the seventh, and that run proved big for them when the Devils scored three in their last at-bats.

Trailing 8-5, with two aboard and two out, Jonathan Murner unleashed a two-run double to left. He then scored on an RBI base hit by Venerable to tie the game at 8-8 and send it into extra innings.

East took full advantage of Greeneville mistakes in the top of the eighth to win the game. Basile hit a double into the outfield. The Devils weren’t paying attention when they tried to get the ball back in, and threw it away, allowing Basile to break for third. Greeneville threw it away again, trying to get him out there, opening the door for Basile to race to the plate.

Cater led the Devils at the plate in game two, going two-for-five with two runs scored, a triple and two RBI.

Game 1

ME ABRHGHSABRH

Davis, 2b412Quillen, rf411

Shaw, lf401Carter, c400

Mosier, 3b401Bowers, lf411

Elkins, dh300J.C’tshw, p413

Collins, p000Murner, ss310

Greene, 1b302V’rable, cf312

Ramsey, c311Dean, 2b301

Basile, cf301Jordan, 1b311

Greene, rf301M.C’tshw, 3b302

Dalton, ss311

TOTALS30310TOTALS31611

2b hits: ME - Greene. GHS - J. Cutshaw (2). HR: ME - Dalton. LP: Colins. WP: J. Cutshaw.

Score by innings:

M’town East001 011 0 -- 3 10

Greeneville005 010 x -- 6 11

Game 2

ME ABRHGHSABRH

Davis, ss523Quillen, lf410

Shaw, lf522Carter, c522

Mosier, 3b513Bowers, p100

Elkins, 1b501Jordan, p110

Greene, dh400J.C’tshw, 1b211

Dalton, p000Murner, ss412

Price, c411V’rable, cf402

Basile, cf512Dean, 2b412

Collins, rf512Ricker, rf411

Allen, 2b512M.C’tshw, 3b300

TOTALS43916TOTALS3289

2b hits: ME - Davis, Mosier (2), Basile, Allen. GHS - Murner, Dean. 3b hits: Carter. LP: Jordan. WP: Dalton.

Score by innings:

M’town East300 040 11 -- 9 16

Greeneville000 221 30 -- 8 9

How does the IMAC compare with other districts? How about player comparisons? Coaches? I heard Chapman is going to Milligan, Bowlin to UT but where is Jenkins going? Isn't he Jeff's best pitcher?

825653391[/snapback]

Not sure the IMAC is as good as South Doyle,Farragut etc?

Why do the IMAC coaches not post stats on PrepXtra and Coacht?

How do you rank the following in the IMAC IN ORDER?

1) Teams in IMAC from 1-6

2) Top coaches from 1-6

3) Top Pitchers from 1-6

4) Top Hitters 1-6

5) Top Home Run Hitters 1-4

6) Top Fielders---arm,glove,real estate covered

Outfielders 1-6

Infielders 1-6

catchers 1-6

7) Top Baseball Field?

8) Top prospects to likely make it big in college or pros?

9) Top players from IMAC now in college ?

Any wordon the East-West DH yesterday? Did they get the second game in? I know it stormed in Morristown.

825654675[/snapback]

The 2nd game was rained out . West won the first game 13-5 and East is still experimenting with their positions and lineup. This week East lost two of their best players in Josh Morgan (best hitter) and their catcher Brad Ramsey for the season.

My two cents are not worth much but here is where they should play these kids.

Batting order and position close to what they are doing now with some minor changes

1) Austin Davis catcher or SS

2) Corey Shaw LF

3)Jimmy Mosier 3B

4) Kent Basile CF

5)Lucas Elkins 1B and DH

6)Josh Greene 1B and DH

7)Robert Allen or Nick Green 2B

8)Tyler Dalton RF or Tyler Collins RF depending on who is pitcher

9)Jeremy Dickerson SS or Blake Price catcher/PH

Great speed in first 4 batters with two power hitters to follow. Also good speed at 7-9. Dickerson is key at SS for defense and Davis at catcher (although he can play anywhere).

Edited by BlMed

Greeneville and Jeff County will duke it out for the best of the IMAC with Greeneville prevailing because of excellent coaching.  Morristown East should contest Cherokee for the bottom of the barrel. Morristown East with their interim  coach may prevail as the catfish at  the bottom of the IMAC pound. I doubt if they will win a game this year. I take that back maybe they can beat up on Cherokee a few times?

Morristown West with their young coach and  team will be  be the sleeper this year. They could rise to the top? He has the baseball knowledge to pull more than a few games out of the hat

We shall see in the next few weeks. Anyway what do you think?

825634057[/snapback]

This was my prediction at the start of the season and it seems to be holding up. What do you think?

Greeneville despite lacking depth at pitcher is riding the top because of the best coaching. Greenway is superb and knows the game and "his players". He is getting the most out of his crew.

Jeff County is doing well as expected, but don't think they should have lost a game in the IMAC with their depth at pitcher and other positions. Morristown West with their inexperience but excellent coach in Stansberry is rising to the top.

East's appears to be lacking despite some real talent and Cherokee is circling the bottom of the pond. Not sure what to say about Cocke County....who knows?

I predict Greenville will win the district despite Jeff's great depth. West could

surprise everyone again. East coaching doesnt seem to have a clue and Cherokee and Cocke County do not appear to have enough depth although Depeew is obviously one of the best in the IMAC.

Edited by IMACJack

I read in the Citizen Tribune that Jack Depew from Cocke Co. hit three homeruns against Sevier Co.  How many has he hit this year?  He's got to be leading the IMAC, or at least in the running?

825654721[/snapback]

Add yet another to the tally.

He bopped #12 at Knox Carter tonight, one of the three-run variety for a 6-5 Cocke County win.

Jeff beat Greeneville 13-0 tonight. Story threw for Jeff and Venerable for Greeneville. Big DH coming up at East tomorrow if rain holds off.

825657313[/snapback]

Rained out according to my man Steve Wilhoit @ the Tribune.

CCHS swept Cherokee 8-6; 11-1 on Tuesday.

TJ Knight won both for Cocke County (Started G2 and pitched 3 innings).

No idea on GHS/West, although early accounts had the red-hot Trojans with an early lead.