CCS Touney

dazenda

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link, tennfitz. The newspaper article seems to factual as far as it goes. It is unusual for either of those coaches to decline to play, but they MAY have had valid concerns about playing on fields that were pretty badly beat up - there is a long, important season ahead of both of them and there would be little point in risking player injuries under poor field conditions, etc - especially if they have a match already scheduled.

Also consider that CCS MAY not have wished any more abuse on their fields and offered a good deal to Tullahoma, as has been suggested.

Just another opinion........

It was not just one or two coaches making this decission. Coach Ken (FRA) and I had already talked that morning before we played our first game and said that we would probably just like to play the first game and go home. We both had too many players who were beat up and injured from the first game. The last person we had playing forward for us was injured in the first half of the game against Tullahoma and was not able to go any further. We had a very tough game against CCS the night before and the gym smelled like an Icy Hot factory the next day. With us getting ready to head into our district stretch, I was not going to risk any further injury to my players. I told them that I did not care if we won or lost against Tullahoma that the game did not matter, just to be careful and not get any further injuries. That was the sentiments of the other coach as well. I was joking with Coach Mc. during their shootout with Notre Dame and I said "Ken, it looks like you guys are going to be staying and playing the last game after all." He said, "No, he had three injured guys and was going home anyway."

The fields were just dangerous to play on. I told Cal (CCS girl's coach) that I was sorry for the mess we made of his fields. It will take them a long time to recover and will probably not be right for the rest of the boy's season.

This is just this coach's explanation on why we (Warren County) went home early. For anyone to imply or suggest that one team or another did not have what it takes (whatever that might mean) to play the last game is just wrong. The concern for the players' safety and well being was and is the first priority.