Home Schooler Legislation...

I would argue that home-school kids should have access in one of two ways. Either let them play for their zoned school, or let homeschool groups put together teams and be counted as schools (which could then compete on their own or under a co-op arrangement, the same as any other school--and by the way, it has always been my opinion that co-ops should be counted at the total enrollment of both schools for classification).

825688176[/snapback]

I thought of the co-op deal after I posted. It's just one of the inequaties that TSSAA allows some schools to do, but not others. An example is class 1A Culleoka co-ops with 5A Columbia Central in football. I agree the total enrollment 9-12 needs to have Culleoka's kids included in Central's figures for football only. I don't know where the Santa Fe and Hampshire kids play football or if they do. I have no problem with the co-ops so long as the rules are the same across the board and every child that wants to play a sport or be in the band has that opportunity. Why should we treat homeschoolers differently?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USA TODAY has a big article in the sports sections today about home schooled athletes.  It claims that we have 1.1 million home schooled children in the USA as of now.  The numbers are rising but that is really a small % of student/athletes that we are talking about.  What is the "hidden agenda" of the public school people?  Do the private school people care if the home schooled students play for the public school that they are zoned to?

825688205[/snapback]

What leverage does the public school system have over their current student body if they allow homeschoolers to participate in extra-curricular activities? The public school system is afraid of a mass exodus of students that won't be in their hallways during the day, but will be representing the school that night. Currently, the homeschooled kids are sacrificing extra-curricular activities to be taught at home. I don't know, but I would doubt the private schools care one way or the other about homeschoolers. If they could afford tuition, they'd probably already be there.

enall...sounds like you make a lot about nothing. Tell me who`s hurt if a homeschooled kid checks out a book from his/her zoned school? I mean are you that bent on this issue that you wouldn`t allow a kid to check out a book? That`s silly. It would be so easy for a school district to allow homeschooled kids to enjoy some outside priveledges of sports, clubs..etc.

It`s not as drastic as you want to make it out to be. Simply charge a fee.

825687914[/snapback]

The point I am making is that if any part of the public school system is opened to a home schooler then you're opening the door for them to request the use of virtually any activity or use of the facility. Do I care if home schoolers check out books? of course not. Dwelling on the specifics of "can they participate in athletics" or "can they check out books" is not the issue. As I said in an earlier post the question is "Does a home schooler have legal rights to do these things". That is not for yor and me to decide but rather the courts, most likely the highest court. At sometime, somebody will file a suit and we'll get the legal answer. What our opinions are on the subject are just that -- our opinions.

enall,

The only problem that I see with a court battle is $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Our tax dollars will pay to defend the public schools regardless of the outcome and those same tax dollars (plus are much larger %) will pay the home school students and their families if the public schools loose. It looks like a big waiste of money that could be avoided but when did politicians ever care about spending the publics dollar?

Replace the phrase 'homeschooled kids' with any ethnic group and what do you have? Discrimination. I'm surprised a lawyer hasn't jumped all over this. The state, TSSAA and any other governing body would be wise to be proactive in regulating how the homeschoolers will be included in extra curricular activities.

I know Sen. David Fowler from Signal Mountain home schools his kids or used to, and he has a background in law. When the homeschoolers get the proper backing, it will happen. It's just posturing right now.

It's just one of the inequaties that TSSAA allows some schools to do, but not others.  An example is class 1A Culleoka co-ops with 5A Columbia Central in football.  I agree the total enrollment 9-12 needs to have Culleoka's kids included in Central's figures for football only.  I don't know where the Santa Fe and Hampshire kids play football or if they do.

825688244[/snapback]

Santa Fe co-ops with Spring Hill and Hampshire with Mount Pleasant. There's a list on the TSSAA website.

Don't get me wrong. I think co-ops are great. Doesn't the same logic apply as far as grades are concerned for homeschooled kids? The Chemistry class at one school might be twice as hard as the co-op school if they even offer the class. How are those situations handled? Shouldn't the issues with homeschooled kids be handled in the same manner? What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander and I'm not seeing it.

Many schools have attendance requirements for their athletes. If the student does not attend school they may not participate in extra-curricular activities that day. Since there is no way to monitor that with the home schooled student, are we not putting a heavier burden on the student who attends the school than the one who is home schooled.

Presently all students have to meet eligibility requirements before participating in sports. This is done by checking school records such as grades, attendance and behavior.

This is not an option for the host school with home-schooled students. Would the school have access to their records?

Public and private schools alike have a code of conduct that all students must follow in order to participate. Students who do not attend the school would not have the same rules. This would again be a disadvantage for those who attend the public school.

Student-athletes may only play for the school in which they are zoned. This is very easily monitored.

My understanding of the bill is that the home-schooled student will be able to play for a school in their area that offers a particular sport. This would allow the student to play football for one school, basketball for another school and soccer for a third. This is not an option for the public school child. He or she can only play for their own school or a school that has a pre-established cooperative program. This would allow the home-schooled student more options than are available to the public school student.

Many schools have attendance requirements for their athletes.  If the student does not attend school they may not participate in extra-curricular activities that day.  Since there is no way to monitor that with the home schooled student, are we not putting a heavier burden on the student who attends the school than the one who is home schooled.

Presently all students have to meet eligibility requirements before participating in sports.  This is done by checking school records such as grades, attendance and behavior.

This is not an option for the host school with home-schooled students.  Would the school have access to their records? 

Public and private schools alike have a code of conduct that all students must follow in order to participate.  Students who do not attend the school would not have the same rules.  This would again be a disadvantage for those who attend the public school.

Student-athletes may only play for the school in which they are zoned.  This is very easily monitored.

My understanding of the bill is that the home-schooled student will be able to play for a school in their area that offers a particular sport.  This would allow the student to play football for one school, basketball for another school and soccer for a third.  This is not an option for the public school child.  He or she can only play for their own school or a school that has a pre-established cooperative program.  This would allow the home-schooled student more options than are available to the public school student.

825688831[/snapback]

1. This is semantical. A test of competency is proposed. If you're competent for grade 10 and you can do it on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays then bully for you. You're 2/5's more efficient than the average student.

2. Again, semantics. If a competency test is given that shows a home schooled student is eligible to progress to the next grade level, the home schooler has met or surpassed the competency level placed before him/her.

3. It's according to which county you are in. There are plenty of counties that have an open zoned policy and students may pick and choose which public school they attend. One of the reasons I support letting home schooled children in the TSSAA.

4. :lol: The proposal as I understand it, allows for a home schooled student to participate in extra curricular activities for the public school for which that student is zoned. If that zone happens to have a co-op arrangement with another public school, then I imagine your analogy might be correct, however that would be no different than what any other student at that school might be able to do. There are plenty of co-op arrangements between schools in the same county. Being home schooled makes no difference in this scenario.

You have brought up some interesting points.

a. The TSSAA allows for open zoned counties or municipal schools to participate in athletic events and students may choose which public school they attend in these counties.

b. Co-operative arrangements are already allowed so that students in public schools that do not have a particular sport can play for another school for which they are not zoned. If one school offers Spanish classes and another does not, can students attend Spanish classes at the bigger public school where the class is offered? Is there a fee involved?

For the record, my kids attend public schools in the area for which they are zoned. I just don't understand how a group of kids can be excluded by an organization that allows publics and privates to compete against each other, allows for open zones without penalty and can still sleep at night.

Edited by ksgovols

What I was suggesting is this: In many areas, there are home-school support groups. The Tennessee Chess Association treats these as schools for its team championships under the following rules:

Students being educated at home in accordance with Tennessee law may play in these events in the section for their appropriate grade level under the following conditions:

(1)  To play as a team students must be enrolled as a member of the same Home School Support Group.

(2)  Each Home School Support Group may enter only one team in each championship section based upon the appropriate grade level.

(Home School Support Group is defined as having one name, under one President, meeting in one building, conducting meetings, classes or field trips, and providing a membership directorory [sic].)

This provides a pattern that I would propose the TSSAA follow: a home-school support group be allowed to join TSSAA as if it were a school. It could then offer sports on its own or in a cooperative arrangement. (And there are already two cooperatives that involve a private school--Mount Juliet Christian students bowl for Mount Juliet High, and students at the Tennessee School for the Blind may wrestle for Donelson Christian next door.)

we played against a home school association team, back before the tssaa cracked down on it. i would happily play them again.

i can see the reasoning behind not farming homeschoolers to public school teams, but i cannot understand the desire to prevent them from playing at all. frankly the vitriol towards homeschooled kids from the publics surprises me.

it is shameful not to allow them an opportunity to play.

How about this?

An athlete is standing in line for lunch. A student pushes him against the wall. He pushes the student back. Both are put in the in school suspension. The athlete is not allowed to participate in athletics that day.

The home schooled student is at home. His little brother pushes him against the wall. He pushes the little brother back. Mom says, "Stop that." The athlete is allowed to participate in athletics that day.

Doesn't seem fair to me.