Oak Ridgers playing college ball

OR nole

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good high school talent doesnt always equal good college talent

Well said. Also a good source of scholarships for the none blue-chip athletes in this area was the Division IAA schools. But with ETSU dropping football, Austin Peay football is non-scholarship, UTC thinking about dropping football, and MTSU going D1 etc, there are not many options. Also out of state Division IAA schools would rather recruit locally. All schools below that are limited in scholarships so they also tend to recruit locally.

As far as the Oak Ridge kids, they've had their share. Year before last they had Booker, Stevens, Hordell get scholarships. This past year seniors, really didn't have any college potential athletes besides Mitchell and Mullholand.

This years group should have some. As far as D1 prospects the one with the biggest potential would probably be Revel Coffey. He has the size and athletic ability to play corner at a lot of schools. Speed and tackling will be a big factor.

Gulmire and Blair may get a look from lower tier D1 prospects like MTSU, Louisville, Memphis State, etc. They are good/great high school runners, but size and speed may limit them. Both have good speed, but most schools would rather take a 6'1'' 220lb rb back that runs a 4.4 or faster forty rather than a 5'10'' 185lb running back who runs a 4.5 forty. The one exception would be Gulmire, he could get a look from bigger schools due to his experience on defense. He probably could play in someone secondary as a strong safety or nickel back. But again size and speed may be a factor.

One thing that should be a plus is Coach Stevens track record of getting kids scholarships. In the last 5 years AE has had more kids offered scholarships than OR.

Edited by extremefury

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Posts

• Hmmmmm……doe dee doe doe….i drove the lawnmower down to practice today…….hmmmm…… we got some new faces………. One can run faster than my lawnmower in fifth gear…… a few will be disappointed come November that they jumped ship and went down to that sewage facility……. You can bet the lawnmower on that. 
    • I don't know what's going on in the town of McMinnville, but I've read this and it's disturbing.  I'm a "player" person, and I want what's best for the player. If a player gets cut off the team because she said the "F word" then good grief. I mean, come on guys. I wish there was a way for the player to transfer to a different program and just play ball. There are a lot of athletes that are stuck because they're in crappy situations regarding their team/coach. This is player just happens to be one them.
    • Won't happen. College coaches will back the coach every time and it cost this young lady her senior season. Looks like the player may be right on this one. School let her  go after one season. This stuff happens more than you think. 
    • “No college is going to offer a scholarship to a player that is kicked off of the team.” For language? I’m not seeing that as a dealbreaker. 
    • Why did the coach get rehired after she was let go as an assistant by the former Warren County coach and the current AD?? Is that accurate?? I am very familiar with situations like this. Suprised lawsuits haven't happend before. If the coach unfairly let the player go, I think she has a shot because it cost her a scholarship. No college is going to offer a scholarship to a player that is kicked off of the team. Not going to happen. There are bad hires like this a bunch and kids are treated unfairly by coaches that can't coach a lick and have super long ropes somehow. Amazing how some of these coaches get hired and keep their job.