QUESTION ABOUT PLAYS AT THE PLATE?

Bledsoebtheboys

We had this happen in a district game two weeks ago. The runner was ejected AND suspended for two ball games. Runners should be careful.

I have also seen a collision where the catcher blocked the plate, lost the ball, grabbed the runner to keep her from reaching the plate while she reached for the ball. The runner was safe.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSSAA clearly state that if a play is being made at a base, the runner MUST attempt to slide. 

825650717[/snapback]

Sorry CoachDude... there is no such thing as a slide rule in TSSAA or ASA. A runner is NEVER required to slide.

The applicable rule states that a runner may not crash into a defensive player with great force. If she does, the penalty is either 1) runner declared out - even if the defensive player drops or misses the ball, or 2) runner declared out and ejected if, in the umpire's judgement, the action was flagrant.

There are times when two or more players collide without a penalty given by the umpire. If, in the umpire's judgement, there was simply an unavoidable train wreck with no culpability on the runner's part (i.e. a catcher moving up the line to catch an errant throw and in doing so suddenly moves into the path of an oncoming runner to make the catch so that a crash occurs), the runner is not declared out. There could still be an obstruction call on the catcher.

The obstruction rule (blocking the plate) was changed last year. The rule used to state that a fielder could block a base if she was in possession of the ball OR if she was in the process of having possession of the ball (i.e. catching the ball as the runner was approaching the base). The OR part was eliminated from the rule. Now a fielder may block a base ONLY when she has possession and control of the ball.

But, again, even with this rule, there is no mandatory slide. The runner must simply avoid crashing into the defensive player.

TSSAA clearly state that if a play is being made at a base, the runner MUST attempt to slide.  The runner must also attempt to avoid a collision if at all possible.  As the catcher had clear possesion of the ball and was 2ft, not 5ft in front of the plate, the runner clearly should have attempted to slide, and not intentionally take out the catcher, in hopes of the catcher dropping the ball due to injury.  I happen to know the catcher sustained a concussion.  My question would be, did the runner do this intentionally or was it just an accident?  Did the runner ever attempt to slide? Or did she just run into the catcher?

825650717[/snapback]

NO....SHE DIDN'T DO IT ON PURPOSE........BLEDSOE IS NOT THAT DIRTY OF A TEAM.......IF SHE WOULD HAVE TRIED TO SLIDE, HER FEET WOULD HAVE NOT BEEN ON THE PLATE.........IT WAS A ACCIDENT.........SHE TOLD HER AFTER THE GAME SHE WAS SORRY.......I WAS JUST WANTING TO KNOW IF SHE DONE ANYTHING WRONG OR IF IT WAS LEGAL......... thumb

Sorry CoachDude... there is no such thing as a slide rule in TSSAA or ASA. A runner is NEVER required to slide.

The applicable rule states that a runner may not crash into a defensive player with great force. If she does, the penalty is either 1) runner declared out - even if the defensive player drops or misses the ball, or 2) runner declared out and ejected if, in the umpire's judgement, the action was flagrant.

There are times when two or more players collide without a penalty given by the umpire. If, in the umpire's judgement, there was simply an unavoidable train wreck with no culpability on the runner's part (i.e. a catcher moving up the line to catch an errant throw and in doing so suddenly moves into the path of an oncoming runner to make the catch so that a crash occurs), the runner is not declared out. There could still be an obstruction call on the catcher.

The obstruction rule (blocking the plate) was changed last year. The rule used to state that a fielder could block a base if she was in possession of the ball OR if she was in the process of having possession of the ball (i.e. catching the ball as the runner was approaching the base). The OR part was eliminated from the rule. Now a fielder may block a base ONLY when she has possession and control of the ball.

But, again, even with this rule, there is no mandatory slide. The runner must simply avoid crashing into the defensive player.

825651185[/snapback]

Good clarification of the rule. Somebody needs to explain that to all the TSSAA umpires. I have several several cases this year of the catcher blocking the plate while the ball is in route.

We had this happen in a district game two weeks ago.  The runner was ejected AND suspended for two ball games.  Runners should be careful.

I have also seen a collision where the catcher blocked the plate, lost the ball, grabbed the runner to keep her from reaching the plate while she reached for the ball.  The runner was safe.

825651106[/snapback]

you are blessed to have umpires who KNOW or ENFORCE the rules

Good clarification of the rule.  Somebody needs to explain that to all the TSSAA umpires.  I have several several cases this year of the catcher blocking the plate while the ball is in route.

825651301[/snapback]

Thanks dore83 for clearing that up.

as far as the intent of the runner cannot be known,it was obvious that the runner crossed her arms over her chest to protect herself from the collision. if a player is aware of the immediate risk enough to protect herself she should give herself up as the catcher had clear control of the ball & maintained possesion

Please keep in mind on the blocking the plate issue...as long as the runner has a part of the plate to touch then it can be blocked without the ball. she hes to leave the runner a piece of the plate she cannot block the whole plat til she has the ball but she can block part of it just like first base as long as the runner has a portion of the bag to touch then you are good

This happened to me in a game that I was calling. In my situation the 2nd baseman had the ball & was about 2 ft. up the line ready to tag. The runner didn't want to go back or be called out....she was like a deer caught in the headlights. She just run the 2nd baseman over. The 2nd baseman lost the ball in the crash. I called the runner out....although I didn't throw her out of the game, maybe I should have ...because both of them could have gotten hurt. (Everything is easier in hindsight) The rule is ...if the catcher(or any baseman) has posession of the ball, they have the right to block that base to make a tag. It wouldn't make much sense to say.... you have to stay back here at the base & let this girl slide & then try to make the out. That is what the game is about......making outs. The rule says you have to try to avoid contact..It doesn't say you have to slide....this girl was out & she knew it. It doesn't sound like to me that in your situation that the runner tried to hurt the catcher (but I wasn't there). She would have been out either way because she didn't attempt to avoid contact. The only question in this matter is should she have been ejected?? It is all up to the Umpire. There is a new rule that says....NO player can block the base/plate with out possession of the ball. They can NOT block the base even if they are setting up to receiving a throw. THEY HAVE TO HAVE THE BALL TO BLOCK THE BASE. We need to make sure the rules are clear to our coaches & they are telling their players. Ask your umpire if you aren't clear on a rule. I think we all want to keep the girls safe.

This happened to me in a game that I was calling. In my situation the 2nd baseman had the ball & was about 2 ft. up the line ready to tag. The runner didn't want to go back or be called out....she was like a deer caught in the headlights. She just run the 2nd baseman over. The 2nd baseman lost the ball in the crash. I called the runner out....although I didn't throw her out of the game, maybe I should have ...because both of them could have gotten hurt. (Everything is easier in hindsight) The rule is ...if the catcher(or any baseman) has posession of the ball, they have the right to block that base to make a tag. It wouldn't make much sense to say.... you have to stay back here at the base & let this girl slide & then try to make the out. That is what the game is about......making outs. The rule says you have to try to avoid contact..It doesn't say you have to slide....this girl was out & she knew it. It doesn't sound like to me that in your situation that the runner tried to hurt the catcher (but I wasn't there). She would have been out either way because she didn't attempt to avoid contact. The only question in this matter is should she have been ejected?? It is all up to the Umpire. There is a new rule that says....NO player can block the base/plate with out possession of the ball. They can NOT block the base even if they are setting up to receiving a throw. THEY HAVE TO HAVE THE BALL TO BLOCK THE BASE. We need to make sure the rules are clear to our coaches & they are telling their players. Ask your umpire if you aren't clear on a rule. I think we all want to keep the girls safe.

825653549[/snapback]

BY KNOW MEANS DID THE PLAYER TRY TO INJURE HER.......ITS JUST KINDA HARD TO AVOID CONTACT WHEN IF YOU RUN OUT OF THE BASELINE YOU WILL BE CALLED OUT........

Good clarification of the rule.  Somebody needs to explain that to all the TSSAA umpires.  I have several several cases this year of the catcher blocking the plate while the ball is in route.

825651301[/snapback]

I'm not in your area..but our TSSAA umpires know this rule. It has been called alot this year. We have had a lot of complants because players,coaches & fans haven't read the new rule. This why before your season starts all coaches need to be clear on all of the rule changes.