Your pick for the All-Mid State

cobracoach

I think (freshmen) riley from brentwood and devon from goodpasture have held up to their billings with quality double digit wins for both their teams.  Cat did well also, until her unfortunate injury.

825660364[/snapback]

Riley and Devon have had real good years, especially for freshmen, but it will be hard for them to be picked as all-state when they have older pitchers on the team with better stats.

Freshmen very rarely make all-state team, because those teams sometimes are picked more on reputation than on performance, and the freshmen havent been around long enough to gain that reputation. Remember, all-state teams are picked by the media, who havent seen most of the girls picked.

Usually if a freshmen makes an all-state team, she is from a small school where she built up some big stats against some inferior pitching.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riley and Devon have had real good years, especially for freshmen, but it will be hard for them to be picked as all-state when they have older pitchers on the team with better stats.

Freshmen very rarely make all-state team, because those teams sometimes are picked more on reputation than on performance, and the freshmen havent been around long enough to gain that reputation. Remember, all-state teams are picked by the media, who havent seen most of the girls picked.

Usually if a freshmen makes an all-state team, she is from a small school where she built up some big stats against some inferior pitching.

825660821[/snapback]

This must be true as Kandice Irwin of Knox Central led her team to a 4th place finish in the state last year (AAA), had over 360 K's, numerous wins, and playing tough against all competition....even Soddy (1-0 loss at state). All this with team that batted around .160 at state....and probably not much more than that in the regular season..........But NO All-State nod...........??????????????

825660821[/snapback]

oh i agree totally, i was just saying at the freshman level. Devon's award has been learning from Danielle and being around a great group of girls she will truly miss. And i am sure Riley is in the same boat along with Cat. There are too many upper classman that deserve the honor. Freshman have plenty of time to get their awards.

This must be true as Kandice Irwin of Knox Central led her team to a 4th place finish in the state last year (AAA), had over 360 K's, numerous wins, and playing tough against all competition....even Soddy (1-0 loss at state).  All this with team that batted around .160 at state....and probably not much more than that in the regular season..........But NO All-State nod...........??????????????

825660854[/snapback]

I guess thats the nature of the beast...Knoxville always falls behind Nashville and Chattanooga in media attention. My suggestion to you is to have those teams play more in the big tourneys held in middle tenn. and chattanooga where they can play the traditional powerhouses. If they do well at those tourneys, then the recognition will follow.

Finishing 4th in the state tourney is a great accomplishment, but there are alot of people that feel that there are alot of other teams better than the knoxville teams that dont make it to the tourney because their districts, regions, and sectionals are loaded with good teams.

Guest diamond fan
NONE! This years Freshman class is very good but anyone who has been following HS softball over the years will tell you the Freshman class last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, were very good also.  The difference is that those girls are no longer Freshman and have improved to the point that they deserve any "All State" honors long before this years Freshman class.  The youngers need more than 1/2 year under their belt before they should even be mentioned among the best in the state.  Every year the Forums talk about the how great the Freshman class is this year.  Remember, every 3 years a past "Great" Freshman class becomes a "Great" Senior class that will move on to college to continue their softball careers.

825660686[/snapback]

WRONG! All State honors are supposed to be based on the performance the particular individual had for "that year". It should not have anything to do with whether a player has displayed over the years that she is a good player. The state is full of "good players"! To say that a freshman is not capable, or deserving because of "age status" is insane. (Right now, I believe a freshman leads the state in homeruns, Burchell - Columbia Academy). The pitchers mentioned above should be considered if their stats are better than older pitchers. As for the notion that every year, there is talk about how outstanding the freshman class is: I pose this theory. The level of play "is" getting better each year, as more and more of the better players play more travel ball in the summers. The sport is definitely more competitive than it was five years ago, and I bet then it was more competitive than ten years ago.

WRONG!  All State honors are supposed to be based on the performance the particular individual had for "that year".  It should not have anything to do with whether a player has displayed over the years that she is a good player.  The state is full of "good players"!  To say that a freshman is not capable, or deserving because of "age status" is insane.  (Right now, I believe a freshman leads the state in homeruns, Burchell -  Columbia Academy).    The pitchers mentioned above should be considered if their stats are better than older pitchers.  As for the notion that every year, there is talk about how outstanding the freshman class is: I pose this theory.  The level of play "is" getting better each year, as more and more of the better players play more travel ball in the summers.  The sport is definitely more competitive than it was five years ago, and I bet then it was more competitive than ten years ago.

825661309[/snapback]

The pitchers mentioned above do not have better stats than the older teammates, thats why I said they probably wont make all-state. Leading the state in homeruns shouldn't automatically make someone all-state either. You have to look at the quality of pitching the player faces also. Someone facing top notch pitching with 5 homeruns probably is a better player than someone with 15 homeruns facing bad pitching.

WRONG!  All State honors are supposed to be based on the performance the particular individual had for "that year".  It should not have anything to do with whether a player has displayed over the years that she is a good player.  The state is full of "good players"!  To say that a freshman is not capable, or deserving because of "age status" is insane.  (Right now, I believe a freshman leads the state in homeruns, Burchell -  Columbia Academy).    The pitchers mentioned above should be considered if their stats are better than older pitchers.  As for the notion that every year, there is talk about how outstanding the freshman class is: I pose this theory.  The level of play "is" getting better each year, as more and more of the better players play more travel ball in the summers.  The sport is definitely more competitive than it was five years ago, and I bet then it was more competitive than ten years ago.

825661309[/snapback]

Reputation has alot to do with alot of all-star teams....Just look at Michael Munoz...football player at Tennessee. He was selected all-american, yet he didnt even play half the season because of injuries...why?..it was always said he had the potential of his dad, who was a big time pro football hall of famer..

Reputation has alot to do with alot of all-star teams....Just look at Michael Munoz...football player at Tennessee. He was selected all-american, yet he didnt even play half the season because of injuries...why?..it was always said he had the potential of his dad, who was a big time pro football hall of famer..

825661374[/snapback]

And, he didn't get drafted. Go figure?

Guest diamond fan
The pitchers mentioned above do not have better stats than the older teammates, thats why I said they probably wont make all-state. Leading the state in homeruns shouldn't automatically make someone all-state either. You have to look at the quality of pitching the player faces also. Someone facing top notch pitching with 5 homeruns probably is a better player than someone with 15 homeruns facing bad pitching.

825661372[/snapback]

Just as you must also look at the overall quality of teams that some of these "top notch" pitchers are facing, as well. A pitcher that competes in travel ball in the summer, often "mows em down" in high school play. When they get to summer ball, they're just another good pitcher. The fact is, we're talking about high school ball. There are good hitters and pitchers at big and little schools. I will say this, two of the three pitchers mentioned earlier, are already two of the best in the state, and the catcher discussed has hit HRs off some of the best pitchers, in the state, in high school and travel.

Just as you must also look at the overall quality of teams that some of these "top notch" pitchers are facing, as well.  A pitcher that competes in travel ball in the summer, often "mows em down" in high school play.  When they get to summer ball, they're just another good pitcher.  The fact is, we're talking about high school ball.  There are good hitters and pitchers at big and little schools.  I will say this, two of the three pitchers mentioned earlier, are already two of the best in the state, and the catcher discussed has hit HRs off some of the best pitchers, in the state, in high school and travel.

825661432[/snapback]

The catcher mentioned above is probably a real good player, but with her being only a Freshman, I doubt she has hit many, if any, home runs off the top 10 pitchers in the state in high school, or travel, since she isnt in the same age bracket as the older pitchers, and, I dont think columbia academy plays many of the AAA powerhouses. Except for Goodpasture, there are very few teams in Class A that can compete with the AAA schools.