2 questions?

cherokee#1fan

:D Where does Cleveland play Rhea at today? And this is a rules guestion? Yesterday McMinn played Rhea Co. and one of Rhea Co. batters squared to bunt and the pitch was a ball she never pulled the bat back she just held the bat out over the plate. The ump behind the plate couldn't see because of the catcher so he checked with the ump in the field. The ump in the field said she didn't go. He said that she did not make an attempt to bunt the ball. So this means that you don't have to pull your bat back if you don't go forward with your bat. I think that this is a wrong call. Of all of my times of watching softball and baseball I have never heard that before. Somebody please let me know if this is a rule and if it is called often???? :D

Good Day Cherokee.

Yes, that is the rule. If she does not make an attempt to bunt the ball, and the pitch is out of the strike zone, it is a called ball. She can leave the bat in the zone, or even attempt to get the bat away from the ball.

All leagues that I know of follow this same rule.

The reason for this rule is simple. Imagine being the umpire. At what point in time would the hitter be required to "pull it back" and how would you ever call it? Would they be required to just drop the bat, pull it back, etc?

A swing is a swing, regardless of when the pitch crosses the plate. That is easy to call. If a bunt were treated the same as a swing, a pitcher could just adjust the pitch if the batter had squared up to ensure that it was well out of the zone and the umpire would be required to call it a strike, right?

The rule is she has to make an attempt at the pitched ball, regardless of where the bat is. If a batter had the bat well in front or well behind the plate when she squares, it would not matter.

Hope this helps.

:( But who decides what the definition of an attempt is? This is something that I have never heard of. In the rule book it says you must make an attempt. I also don't think that it is possible for a girl to hold the bat still and not try to bunt it. I just don't think that an umpire can make that call. ;)

:D But who decides what the definition of an attempt is?  This is something that I have never heard of.  In the rule book it says you must make an attempt.  I also don't think that it is possible for a girl to hold the bat still and not try to bunt it.  I just don't think that an umpire can make that call. :D

825665952[/snapback]

Okay, this is going to be an exteme example, but the girl squares to bunt, and the ball is pitched in the dirt. You don't think she can recognize that and not go after the pitch? If you have ever watched baseball games, a lot of times a play is put on to square to bunt, make no attempt, but get the infield moving so you can steal a base.

It is usually very obvious when a player has made an attempt to bunt a pitch.

;) O.K. I understand what you are saying but have you ever watched a baseball or softball game where this has been called. I believe we have a different idea of what an attempt is. You think that an attempt is moving the bat towards the ball. I think that squaring to bunt should be considered a bunt unless you pull the bat back. All my life I have been taught to pull the bat back and I teach to pull the bat back. Why have I been taught this if you don't have to???? ;)

OK, please don't take this as a smart aleck reply.

The reason you were taught that way is because most people don't know the rule. And many umpires don't know the rule. But it is in the rule book that you must make an attempt at the pitch, and just squaring to bunt is not an attempt at the pitch.

The safest thing to do is to pull back, because you can't be certain that the umpire is going to know the rule, or call it correctly. ;)

OK, please don't take this as a smart aleck reply.

The reason you were taught that way is because most people don't know the rule.  And many umpires don't know the rule.  But it is in the rule book that you must make an attempt at the pitch, and just squaring to bunt is not an attempt at the pitch.

The safest thing to do is to pull back, because you can't be certain that the umpire is going to know the rule, or call it correctly. :ph34r:

825667752[/snapback]

You are exactly right. I have seen umpires blow this call many many times. You have to make an attempt. It is not difficult to determine that.

Thats the way the rule reads. I have been close to being thrown out over this call. I also have never seen this call made correct. Most umps will get upset over if you question them over it. They will tell you that its a judgement call.and as always the field ump will back them up, So now we have 2 umps that dont know the rule, and as always things get tuffer for you. So reading your rule book dont help sometimes. I think the best way to handle this , is to play ball, use everything you have to beat the other team on the field, and let the umps do their job.