Scholarships at Private schools

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true that some private schools in the state, mainly the Middle of the state, give out Scholarships to some players in order for them to attend the school?

Anybody have any details?

825666855[/snapback]

FRA cannot. They are in Division 1 which does not allow this.

Is it true that some private schools in the state, mainly the Middle of the state, give out Scholarships to some players in order for them to attend the school?

Anybody have any details?

825666855[/snapback]

Where have you been for the past 5 years? ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are a private school and you give out scholarships for sports, I think you have to be in D2.

825667800[/snapback]

yes. actually if the school gives any financial aid, regardless of its designation, the school's sports teams compete in dII...i'm pretty sure

yes. actually if the school gives any financial aid, regardless of its designation, the school's sports teams compete in dII...i'm pretty sure

825667874[/snapback]

THis is correct. And my understanding is that scholarships are not allowed in DII either...only financial aid which is technically supposed to be need based.

Long ago, I served on the TSSAA Financial Aid Committee. A student applies and the student and his parents fill out a form about their financial situation. This form is sent to Princeton and the service decides the amount of financial aid the school can award the student. All financial aid is need based.

Edited by clintabbott

THis is correct.  And my understanding is that scholarships are not allowed in DII either...only financial aid which is technically supposed to be need based.

825668732[/snapback]

It's not "technically supposed to be need based". It IS need based. There is a process. See the post above.

I can only speak about McCallie, since that's the only one I'm familiar with. McCallie has an honors scholars program for students who score well enough on their SSAT admissions test. However, McCallie honors scholars are not allowed to participate in varsity athletics (except Lacrosse, which is not TSSAA sanctioned). McCallie does offer finacial aid (like most private schools) to those who qualify, but the honors scholars program is the only scholarship the school offers.