IMAC Baseball Tourney

PTSportsWriter

As an unbiased spectator there were only several moves i questioned.  One was walking bowlin everytime he came to bat, even after Ausmus drilled the three-run homer.  Bowlin is not all-world and is very "free-swinging" at the plate.  A good pitcher can get him out easily. 

I also questioned JCHS bringing vineyard in, in relief of Jenkins.  Vineyard has made less that 5 pitching appearances this season, not exactly what you want on the mound in the championship game.

Also, Im sure East was out of pitching, but the pitcher in game two was horrible.

825671910[/snapback]

"Free-swinging" Bowlin. I thought he was one of the better hitters in the league? Of course, I get most of my info from the Banner, who knows if they get it right. To be labeled a free swinger he must of had alot of stikeouts? Does anyone know? Maybe a sports writer is online. I wonder what would happen if Long bats after Bowlin in the lineup. Maybe Seals should consider it. But, I agree, I wouldn't have walked him either. My biggest problem with JC was the base running and no bunting/stealing when the time was right.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an unbiased spectator there were only several moves i questioned.  One was walking bowlin everytime he came to bat, even after Ausmus drilled the three-run homer.  Bowlin is not all-world and is very "free-swinging" at the plate.  A good pitcher can get him out easily. 

I also questioned JCHS bringing vineyard in, in relief of Jenkins.  Vineyard has made less that 5 pitching appearances this season, not exactly what you want on the mound in the championship game.

Also, Im sure East was out of pitching, but the pitcher in game two was horrible.

825671910[/snapback]

East was by far not out of pitching. Try Jeremy Dickerson one of East's best players (who sat the bench the entire year for unkown reasons), or Josh Green, Nick Green .You might figure the rest out from there......

Edited by BlMed

East was by far not out of pitching. Try Jeremy Dickerson  one of East's best players (who sat the bench the entire year for unkown reasons), or Josh Green, Nick Green .You might figure the rest out from there......

825671972[/snapback]

Maybe coach was just tryin to give a great kid, and senior who had kept a good attitude despite not playing, a chance to contribute. At any rate feel good about the way the Canes finished. With last years braintrust, and I'm not necessairly talking about coach Wills, but the other one who actually ran things while stabbing Wills in the back, the Canes would have been home long ago. If you were around last year you know exactly what I am talking about.

BTW, what about Kent Basil? He hardly got off the bench last year. He was just as mature last year as this. Could they not see what potential he had last year, or did the fact he also played basketball have anything to do with his lack of playing time?

Congrats, Canes for a great postseason.

Maybe coach was just tryin to give a great kid, and senior who had kept a good attitude despite not playing, a chance to contribute. At any rate feel good about the way the Canes finished. With last years braintrust, and I'm not necessairly talking about coach Wills, but the other one who actually ran things while stabbing Wills in the back, the Canes would have been home long ago. If you were around last year you know exactly what I am talking about.

BTW, what about Kent Basil? He hardly got off the bench last year. He was just as mature last year as this. Could they not see what potential he had last year, or did the fact he also played basketball have anything to do with his lack of playing time?

Congrats, Canes for a great postseason.

825672080[/snapback]

You are right he is a great kid and he should have played more during the season especially if the coach didn't cancel so many games and tournaments. He is a great power hitter and should have played DH, first base, and pinched hit in each and "every" game. And I emphasize every game. We could have used his bat alot more. The coach may have felt guilty and tried to make up for his failure to play him during the season. Not the right place , time or position to do so. Something should have been said long ago about that, but most are intimidated.

But don't hang him out in the championship game and let them tag him for 6 runs. I don't think he deserved that .You are right he should have played but you don't spot a team like JC 6 runs before you try someone else. If that were my friend, brother or son out there I would have been the first to tell the coach to take him out after 3 runs in 2 innings.

The freshman is a great kid too with a bright future but don't throw him the first time on varsity in the championship game. I am not sure that is where he should have made his pitching debuit. Again he should have seen action during the year as he was being groomed. It never happened , but there were opportunities to do so. But don't throw him to the wolves and potentially destroy his confidence. He didn't deserve that either.

Josh Green would have been a better choice in that situation against a power hitting team. He has good fast ball and a more than average curve ball. And what about Jeremy Dickerson. He deserved to play too, during the season and even pitch an inning or two om this one. There was nothing wrong with pitching who he pitched. The problem was how long he waited to change pitcher each time.

If coach wanted to give a great kid a chance to contribute , he should have played alot more with his power and awesome bat. The real question is why he didn't once play DH or 1st Base in the tournament or even during the season, not pitcher? That would be like pitching Mike Piazza in the last game of the World Series. He like Piazza has a future in baseball but not at pitcher..

As far as being home by now, I am not so sure you can give him as much credit as you seem to be doing? One thing you can definitely say about J Rice is that he knows "pitching". And the kids seemed to like him and respect he and Wills. Wills would have made sense as an interim but politics prevailed again. At least Wills would have practiced them and played more games. More players would have developed and had a chance to play during the season.

BTW what does Kent Basil and basketball have to do with this? Where did that come from? He would have been the worst choice to start in "that game", let alone pitch during the tournament . If Basil pitched I am sure it would have been 6 runs in one inning.

Good hitters are rarely good pitchers. That is the WHOLE POINT! Knowing your players and where to play them is a sign of good coaching. Seals, Stansberry and the rest of the IMAC guys seem to have that.

Edited by BlMed

You are right he is a great kid and he should have played more during the season especially if the coach didn't cancel so many games and tournaments. He is a great power hitter and should have played DH, first base, and pinched hit in each game. But don't hang him out in the championship game and let them tag him for 6 runs. I don't think he deserved that .You are right he should have played but you don't spot a team like JC 6 runs before you try someone else. If that were my friend, brother or son out there I would have been the first to tell the coach to take him out after 3 runs in 2 innings.

The freshman is a great kid too with a bright future but don't throw him the first time on varsity  in the championship game. I am not sure that is where he should have made his pitching debuit. Again he should have seen action during the year as he was being groomed. It never happened , but there were opportunities to do so.  But don't throw him to the wolves and potentially destroy his confidence.

Josh Green would have been a better choice in that situation against a power hitting team. And what about Jeremy Dickerson. He deserved to play too.

If coach wanted to give a great kid a chance to contribute , he should have played alot more with his power and awesome bat.  The real question is why he didn't once play DH or 1st Base in the tournament or even during the season, not pitcher? That would be like pitching Mike Piazza in the last game of the World Series.

I would be upset too , but ask why he waited until the last of the season to put him in that pressure packed situation, without the experience?

825672183[/snapback]

Can't disagree with most of what you said. I wondered as well why Coker did not play more. I have seen him when he was on the JV and also in summer league and know he can crush it but is not a pitcher. I just think coach Altizer has done a very good job in a tough situation taking over for coach Rines after he went to Iraq. I am sure he has his reasons for playing his personel in the manner he did. I do know him well enough to know he plays the people he thinks he can best win with. If you had 10 different coaches you would have 10 different opinions of how to use your personel, and who is to say who is right. It will always be the nature of the beast to second guess, and hindsight is always 20/20.

Don't forget the Canes lost two starters in Ramsey, and Morgan, who was leading the team in batting when he was injured, and still finished second when most picked them to do nothing in the tourny. I will prefer to remember their accomplishments. Hopefully it is not over yet. GO CANES!!

Can't disagree with most of what you said. I wondered as well why Coker did not play more. I have seen him when he was on the JV and also in summer league and know he can crush it but is not a pitcher. I just think coach Altizer has done a very good job in a tough situation taking over for coach Rines after he went to Iraq. I am sure he has his reasons for playing his personel in the manner he did. I do know him well enough to know he plays the people he thinks he can best win with. If you had 10 different coaches you would have 10 different opinions of how to use your personel, and who is to say who is right. It will always be the nature of the beast to second guess, and hindsight is always 20/20.

Don't forget the Canes lost two starters in Ramsey, and Morgan, who was leading the team in batting when he was injured, and still finished second when most picked them to do nothing in the tourny. I will prefer to remember their accomplishments. Hopefully it is not over yet. GO CANES!!

825672212[/snapback]

[/quote

Altizer should coach football too. I hear he was really pretty good at that. Is it true he tackled one of his players in the end zone for celebrating? Sounds like something he would do. B)

Altizer, is in fact a very good football coach. I think he has tackled more than one player for inappropriate behavior. He is quite a character. This team has overcome adversity, and gotten better as the season went along. These are marks of a well coached team. So Cane fans should be happy. It is a very young team, and hopefully coach Rines will be back safely to coach in the future. In the mean time it is good to have someone with Altizers ability to do a good job with something he did not ask to do, but did as a favor to the school.

If you want to second guess remember when the Canes ace pitcher was used in a meaningless game vs Cocke Co. last year just before the tournament and could not pitch when it mattered most. They could be where the were last year at this time, with a more talented veteran team, AT HOME. B)

I would hope that we made our IMAC foes feel welcome and that all IMAC fans & teams were treated well.

If you are talking about coaching, your right, I was to busy trying to figure out why our coach didn't put the game away to wonder what your coach was doing. I wrote a post this morning only to delete it. The post was entitled "HILLBILLY BASEBALL". Don't think I'm a Yankee, I'm born and raised in ET. One point to ponder, why are IMAC players not being recruited? I know about Bowlin, but how about Long? Depew? I'm not talking about CN and WS either. Our (imac) brand of baseball isn't being played at the college level. To find our style of play we must look at the little league fields. Were's the "SMALL BALL"? Believe me, Halls & South Doyle know how to bunt and steal? We play Sunday afternoon back yard baseball in the IMAC and whole state know's it!

825671931[/snapback]

Great post. I am sure that is what all the hoopla is about. Some of the parents who probably know something about baseball may have questioned some coach's decisions. I am sure part of the reason for Hillbilly Baseball as you call it , has to do with the fact that most of the coaches never played and/or studied the game outside of the IMAC.

To limit coaching to teachers only also dilutes out the "pool" of potential knowledgeable people. No wonder and the result is predictable.

Most of these coaches act like dictators and go ballistic if anyone questions their judgement. Instead they should be thankful that someone cares to voice their concern or knowledge of the game. They don't see it that way however. They see it as " I guess those parents etc think they know more than us". Maybe they do or maybe they don't? Hence why the IMAC continues to play what you have appropriately called HILLBILLY BASEBALL.

I have noticed that people that think they know it all, no matter what area of life, are the one's who never advance or learn to live life outside of their little "box". Maybe some will wake up and see the LIGHT. And hopefully some of these kids will get out of here and learn real baseball.

You are one who knows the truth and is not afraid to speak it. I applaud you for your efforts. Keep it up. Most are running scared and would dare not rock the IMAC boat.

sometimes i wonder if they get it right myself

;)  But it only prints statistics not opinions, so you didnt read an opinion that he is a best hitters in the league.

825672317[/snapback]

Shouldn't logic be used in forming an opinion? Maybe not. Some stats that helped form my opinion. PER KNOX NEWS SENTINEL 05-13-05 PREP EXTRA

Depew .449 12 48

Long .469 5 34

Bowlin .427 11 53

My opinion, based on the above information, all three of the above should be considered the best hitters in the league, regardless of the Standard Banners position. However, just for the sake of argument, we really need to see strikeouts and on base %. I wonder were we could get that info? Also, maybe quality of pitchers faced and position in line up should be considered, don't you think?

Shouldn't logic be used in forming an opinion? Maybe not. Some stats that helped form my opinion. PER KNOX NEWS SENTINEL 05-13-05 PREP EXTRA

Depew .449  12  48

Long    .469  5  34

Bowlin  .427  11  53

My opinion, based on the above information, all three of the above should be considered the best hitters in the league, regardless of the Standard Banners position. However, just for the sake of argument, we really need to see strikeouts and on base %. I wonder were we could get that info? Also, maybe quality of pitchers faced and position in line up should be considered, don't you think?

825672682[/snapback]

Those stats are numbers before the tournament also. Add a homer and 2 or 3 RBI for Depew. Add a homer and probably 6 or 7 RBI for Bowlin. And add 3 homers and probably 8 or 9 RBI for Long.

Nevermind, im erasing all my post. Im not oblivious to who you are DAFAN but IMAC tournament is over so im not going to hang around to feed your ego. Maybe you should go back and read the other half of my post that you skipped, where i mentioned bowlin is the best power hitter in the conference.

One side note about the "hillbilly baseball" - this is coming from the same guy that complained about Coach Euverard throughout the entire football season, and im sure Coach Holland for the three previous years.

Good luck to Jefferson County Monday night. Ill be back on here when football season starts. Have a good one everyone.

Edited by DZbettin

You are right he is a great kid and he should have played more during the season especially if the coach didn't cancel so many games and tournaments. He is a great power hitter and should have played DH, first base, and pinched hit in each and "every" game. And I emphasize every game. We could have used his bat alot more. The coach may have felt guilty and tried to make up for his failure to play him during the season. Not the right place , time or position to do so. Something should have been said long ago about that, but most are intimidated.

But don't hang him out in the championship game and let them tag him for 6 runs. I don't think he deserved that .You are right he should have played but you don't spot a team like JC 6 runs before you try someone else. If that were my friend, brother or son out there I would have been the first to tell the coach to take him out after 3 runs in 2 innings.

The freshman is a great kid too with a bright future but don't throw him the first time on varsity  in the championship game. I am not sure that is where he should have made his pitching debuit. Again he should have seen action during the year as he was being groomed. It never happened , but there were opportunities to do so.  But don't throw him to the wolves and potentially destroy his confidence. He didn't deserve that either.

Josh Green would have been a better choice in that situation against a power hitting team. He has good fast ball and a more than average curve ball. And what about Jeremy Dickerson. He deserved to play too, during the season and even pitch an inning or two om this one. There was nothing wrong with pitching who he pitched. The problem was how long he waited to change pitcher each time.

If coach wanted to give a great kid a chance to contribute , he should have played alot more with his power and awesome bat.  The real question is why he didn't once play DH or 1st Base in the tournament or even during the season, not pitcher? That would be like pitching Mike Piazza in the last game of the World Series. He like Piazza has a future in baseball but not at pitcher..

As far as being home by now, I am not so sure you can give him as much credit as you seem to be doing? One thing you can definitely say about J Rice is that he knows "pitching". And the kids seemed to like him and respect he and Wills. Wills would have made sense as an interim but politics prevailed again. At least Wills would have practiced them and played more games. More players would have developed and had a chance to play during the season.

BTW what does Kent Basil and basketball have to do with this? Where did that come from? He would have been the worst choice to start in "that game", let alone pitch during the tournament . If Basil pitched I am sure it would have been 6 runs in one inning.

Good hitters are rarely good pitchers. That is the WHOLE POINT!  Knowing your players and where to play them is a sign  of good coaching. Seals, Stansberry and the rest of the IMAC guys seem to have that.

825672183[/snapback]

This was my post to DAFAN(Jeff fan) and his comments above, but I say ditto to you BiMed(east fan). Look above for DAFAN's excellent comment about the IMAC coaches style of baseball. How many times did you see a bunt, a steal, a hit and run and how about the base running. That is one of the areas that good coaches earn there living on. DAFAN obviously knows something.....Here is my post to his above comments on what he describes as HILLBILLY BASEBALL.

Great post. I am sure that is what all the hoopla is about. Some of the parents who probably know something about baseball may have questioned some coach's decisions. I am sure part of the reason for Hillbilly Baseball as you call it , has to do with the fact that most of the coaches never played and/or studied the game outside of the IMAC.

To limit coaching to teachers only also dilutes out the "pool" of potential knowledgeable people. No wonder and the result is predictable.

Most of these coaches act like dictators and go ballistic if anyone questions their judgement. Instead they should be thankful that someone cares to voice their concern or knowledge of the game. They don't see it that way however. They see it as " I guess those parents etc think they know more than us". Maybe they do or maybe they don't? Hence why the IMAC continues to play what you have appropriately called HILLBILLY BASEBALL.

I have noticed that people that think they know it all, no matter what area of life, are the one's who never advance or learn to live life outside of their little "box". Maybe some will wake up and see the LIGHT. And hopefully some of these kids will get out of here and learn real baseball.

You are one who knows the truth and is not afraid to speak it. I applaud you for your efforts. Keep it up. Most are running scared and would dare not rock the IMAC boat