IMAC Baseball Tourney

PTSportsWriter

It is part of a coaches job to post stats. Those who don't do it are telling you they are not interested in promoting the kids. Don't expect those coaches to contact college recruiters to promote their players. Recruiters are dependent on coaches  as they only have so much time. Rarely will a kid get noticed in a small town like Morristown when the newspaper is read only be the local yocals.

The (team concept) is just an excuse for the fact they could care less. Don't believe it for a minute. I have known a few recruiters and they will be the first to tell you how important coaches and stats are in the process of selection.

Palazzola , Francisco and Simpson (with grades) come to mind as  kids who should have been highly recruited. I consider that a failure of the coaches and the athletic department to prepare and promote these kids for the next step and that incudes academic mentoring. Who was the last Division 1 athlete recruited or coming out of East? Blake Garretson should be an ACC/SEC recruit in football, but I doubt he will even get a look because of the lack of preparation and promotion at East. Mark my words and wait and see.

825676873[/snapback]

Team concept Now that is a real good escuse. Like you said these guys could care less about the players. Whatever happened to those three?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is part of a coaches job to post stats. Those who don't do it are telling you they are not interested in promoting the kids. Don't expect those coaches to contact college recruiters to promote their players. Recruiters are dependent on coaches  as they only have so much time. Rarely will a kid get noticed in a small town like Morristown when the newspaper is read only be the local yocals.

The (team concept) is just an excuse for the fact they could care less. Don't believe it for a minute. I have known a few recruiters and they will be the first to tell you how important coaches and stats are in the process of selection.

Palazzola , Francisco and Simpson (with grades) come to mind as  kids who should have been highly recruited. I consider that a failure of the coaches and the athletic department to prepare and promote these kids for the next step and that incudes academic mentoring. Who was the last Division 1 athlete recruited or coming out of East? Blake Garretson should be an ACC/SEC recruit in football, but I doubt he will even get a look because of the lack of preparation and promotion at East. Mark my words and wait and see.

825676873[/snapback]

I personally think that the sending in of the stats and publicity of the athlete in high school during the season should be done by the athletic director. It is part of their job to be game administrators, make schedules, and deal with the press. They make depending at which school they are at $1000 to $2000. Some do a good job, others get a paycheck for little of nothing. Sometimes they are also a coach of one of the major sports., and have been promised the extra pay of AD to get them there. During the season coaches have their hands full just doing their job, but should make the stats avaiable to the AD to send to the press.

After the season though it is a horse of a different color. It is the coaches place to promote a kid they think is worthy of a college scholarship. It is a feather in their cap as well if they have kids that are recruited, and sign. Some unfortunately are through with you when you can no longer help them. I am not saying this is the case at East as i am not that close to the situation but i have seen it at far too many schools.

I agree from what i have seen Blake Garretson is D1 material. He is more suited for TE at the college level however, and that may not be where he can help East at the most. I think he played FB last year and was used primeraly as a blocker. It is noy often that you see a high school kid with his size that can play a skill position.

Team concept Now that is a real good escuse. Like you said these guys could care less about the players. Whatever happened to those three?

825677577[/snapback]

Well we have gotten off topic a bit but the last time i heard the only one that is still in school and playing football is Palazzola. Francisco went to Carson Newman and was redshirted, but my daughter said he no longer is in school. I do not know if it was a grade problem or not. Simpson could have played at least D1AA football or basketball. I was told he had work to do in the classroom. He was at Walters State playing basketball but was dismissed for some reason not sure why. Palazzola is at Concord University where he played quite a bit as a freshman and the last i heard he was battling for the starting QB position for next year.

Too often kids do not see the importance of grades until it is too late. They do not take care of business their freshman and sophmore years and then when they realize how important it is it is too late. That is mostly their parents fault. A coach has a lot of players and it is hard to make sure all of them are taking care of their academics.

Blake Garretson reminds me of Jason Witten. If he stays healthy he is D1 material. Coach Decker is the AD at East. He is also the head basketball coach, and a good one, but don't hold your breath waiting for him to send in stats. He does not do it for his basketball team i doubt he will do it for baseball, football or any other sport as well.

Well we have gotten off topic a bit but the last time i heard the only one that is still in school and playing football is Palazzola. Francisco went to Carson Newman and was redshirted, but my daughter said he no longer is in school. I do not know if it was a grade problem or not. Simpson could have played at least D1AA football or basketball. I was told he had work to do in the classroom. He was at Walters State playing basketball but was dismissed for some reason not sure why. Palazzola is at Concord University where he played quite a bit as a freshman and the last i heard he was battling for the starting QB position for next year.

Too often kids do not see the importance of grades until it is too late. They do not take care of business their freshman and sophmore years and then when they realize how important it is it is too late. That is mostly their parents fault. A coach has a lot of players and it is hard to make sure all of them are taking care of their academics.

Blake Garretson reminds me of Jason Witten. If he stays healthy he is D1 material. Coach Decker is the AD at East. He is also the head basketball coach, and a good one, but don't hold your breath waiting for him to send in stats. He does not do it for his basketball team i doubt he will do it for baseball, football or any other sport as well.

825677776[/snapback]

No wonder then that Morristown East athletic programs are so weak. All I can say is he better make sure they do it for football or there are going to be some angry fans and parents. The principal seems to care little about the athletic programs. I say bring back Jerry T and get an AD that cares. or better yet convert the ones we got.

Edited by CNFn

No wonder then that Morristown East athletic programs are so weak. All I can say is he better make sure they do it for football or there are going to be some angry fans and parents. The principal seems to care little about the athletic programs. I say bring back Jerry T and get an AD that cares. or better yet convert the ones we got.

825677839[/snapback]

Good luck trying to convert them. It would be hard to find another principal that supported athletics as much as Jerry T did. He made some questionable hires down through the years, but there was no doubt where his heart was, he was all Cane.

Sorry that I have been away for a while-and was behind in my reading. (nine pages -WOW that has to be a record esp. for IMAC baseball)

JTW was the Man that built EAST into the sports program that it WAS.

The program has slipped under GJ.

No one ever cared more about a school than JTW.

It is a shame that he had to change counties in order to continue to care about sports and athletes.

Sure that JeffCo is glad to have him.

REMEBER THIS COMING FROM A TROJAN FAN

JeffCo Baseball under achieved this season.

Regardless of what you thought about Holland he deserved a better deal that being ran out of town on a rail --he poured himself into that program for a hundred years. If you are changing directions why give it to the Ast. that learned everything he knows from Holland.

East overachieved -Altizer took the job because he needed to-

if he did not --???WHO would have coached the team???

I am one of the few that saw him coach football -

an unbelievable OFFENSIVE mind.

I saw him tackle the kid in the endzone.

GRIF is in a class by himself-he has the knowledge of a professional baseball manager, cares about the players and coached the living breathing fire out of every pitch and swing.

Anybody out there ever watch a East practice under GRIFF.

I was there (saw over a dozen practices) if you have an ounce of sports fan in you. You would have stood at attention with your hand over your heart and hung onto everyword. BOTTOM LINE GRIF IS BASEBALL. I know Danny Clark is a great baseball coach and helped build the baseball program @ my Alma Mater. Chuck is doing wonderful and will soon dominate the district. I watched Harry Price coach over 200 games and I have respect for him as a Caoch --but there has never been a better coach in any sport to ever step foot into Hamblen County since Davey Crockett. John Rice a home grown kid had his team one game away from the region behind only Halls-- and this in his rookie season. John Rice should be coaching East- glad that he is in Knoxville- Chuck does not have to worry about him. If JTW was still running the show he would have hired Rice this time. Dove down to the big city to watch Karns 3 times this season and always walked away more impressed each time.

Like I said I have been gone for a while -but will check back soon --somebody argue with me.

Sorry that I have been away for a while-and was behind in my reading.  (nine pages -WOW that has to be a record esp. for IMAC baseball)

JTW  was the Man that built EAST into the sports program that it WAS.

The program has slipped under GJ.

No one ever cared more about a school than JTW.

It is a shame that he had to change counties in order to continue to care about sports and athletes.

Sure that JeffCo is glad to have him.

REMEBER THIS COMING FROM A TROJAN FAN

JeffCo Baseball under achieved this season.

Regardless of what you thought about Holland he deserved a better deal that being ran out of town on a rail --he poured himself into that program for a hundred years.  If you are changing directions why give it to the Ast. that learned everything he knows from Holland.

East overachieved -Altizer took the job because he needed to-

if he did not --???WHO would have coached the team???

I am one of the few that saw him coach football -

an unbelievable OFFENSIVE mind.

I saw him tackle the kid in the endzone.

GRIF is in a class by himself-he has the knowledge of a professional baseball manager, cares about the players and coached the living breathing fire out of every pitch and swing.

Anybody out there ever watch a East practice under GRIFF.

I was there (saw over a dozen practices) if you have an ounce of sports fan in you. You would have stood at attention with your hand over your heart and hung onto everyword. BOTTOM LINE GRIF IS BASEBALL. I know Danny Clark is a great baseball coach and helped build the baseball program @ my Alma Mater.  Chuck is doing wonderful and will soon dominate the district.  I watched Harry Price coach over 200 games and I have respect for him as a Caoch --but there has never been a better coach in any sport to ever step foot into Hamblen County since Davey Crockett.  John Rice a home grown kid had his team one game away from the region behind only Halls-- and this in his rookie season. John Rice should be coaching East- glad that he is in Knoxville- Chuck does not have to worry about him. If JTW was still running the show he would have hired Rice this time.  Dove down to the big city to watch Karns 3 times this season and always walked away more impressed each time.

Like I said I have been gone for a while -but will check back soon --somebody argue with me.

825677946[/snapback]

Oh my goodness, I am agreeing with a Trojan fan !!! Not much to argue about Red I agree with most all you said. Although in an earlier post some thought I was knocking coach Griffin I was not. He was the best high school baseball coach I have ever been around. I guess that is why he is at the college level now.

Why do you think Jerry T would have hired coach Rice the second time around? He may have been better as a head coach, but when he helped coach Wills many of the players were confused on who was running the team. Quite frankly I think he did much more game coaching than Wills did, and if I hadn't known Wills was the head man I would have thought that Rice was running the show as well.

I also thought coach Altizer did a good job under the circumstances. He did not know his personel since he had not been around these kids that long and that sometimes takes time. They improved as the season went along, and you didn't have to attend a game very long to know he was in charge. Right or wrong he did the school and kids a favor under tough circumstances.

Sorry but that is about as much argument as you will get from me Red, you are a Trojan fan who also knows quite a bit about the Canes.

Edited by Sugarcane

Sugarcane

Thanks for the kind words-I do take pride in knowing what is going on in the IMAC-esp. in the land of the TROJANS.

I read your post about Grif-and could tell that you were a hugh fan.

? Did you ever see Altizer coach a football game ?

? How do you fell about the Patriots UNDER/over achieved?

? Did Holland deserve a better fate ?

My 2 Cents on John Rice--He falls into the same catagory as Billy Seals and the football job. (I have stated over and over that Coach Seals would have been and will be a great head coach soon && that Coach Smith is doing a wonderful job-as Coach Woods will attest after last years butt kicking). The only draw back with Billy Seals was youth---and after the softball & volleyball situation of a couuple of seasons ago-I think the East administration made a choice to go with an older group of coaches-Calvin, Coach Smith, Altizer.

Seals and Rice both homegrown, young, hard working, fireball coaches destined to do great things but they were held back because of youth. I also know that JTW realized that following in the foot steps of Coch Griffin (even after 1 seasons) would be a tall order. Let John work under a different head coach. See how another coach does things. We both know that Tom Griffin allowed his staff to work and did not put them in a box (so to speak) when it came to working with the team - all great head coaches allow their ast. coaches to have imput in ever phase of the game.

That is why John Rice at times looked like the head coach even though he was working for Coach Wills. His working experience with Tom Griffin paid big dividens for Karns this season.

Sugarcane- What do you think about the job that Chuck is doing on the West side of Cumberland Ave.

Sugarcane

Thanks for the kind words-I do take pride in knowing what is going on in the IMAC-esp. in the land of the TROJANS.

I read your post about Grif-and could tell that you were a hugh fan.

? Did you ever see Altizer coach a football game ?

? How do you fell about the Patriots UNDER/over achieved?

? Did Holland deserve a better fate ?

My 2 Cents on John Rice--He falls into the same catagory as Billy Seals and the football job.  (I have stated over and over that Coach Seals would have been and will be a great head coach soon && that Coach Smith is doing a wonderful job-as Coach Woods will attest after last years butt kicking).  The only draw back with Billy Seals was youth---and after the softball & volleyball situation of a couuple of seasons ago-I think the East administration made a choice to go with an older group of coaches-Calvin, Coach Smith, Altizer. 

Seals and Rice both homegrown, young, hard working, fireball coaches destined to do great things but they were held back because of youth.  I also know that JTW realized that following in the foot steps of Coch Griffin (even after 1 seasons) would be a tall order.  Let John work under a different head coach.  See how another coach does things.  We both know that Tom Griffin allowed his staff to work and did not put them in a box (so to speak) when it came to working with the team - all great head coaches allow their ast. coaches to have imput in ever phase of the game.

That is why John Rice at times looked like the head coach even though he was working for Coach Wills.  His working experience with Tom Griffin paid big dividens for Karns this season.

Sugarcane- What do you think about the job that Chuck is doing on the West side of Cumberland Ave.

825678139[/snapback]

Yes I have seen Altizer coach. I agree he was an offensive guru, and one of the few coaches that utilized the pass from the wing-t as well as the rush. He developed quite a few good QB's and though Randy Sanders gets a lot of publicity, and was a good QB I think Charles Cole was his best.

I think everybody on the East side was dissapointed when Griffin left, but I really did not think he would stay long. I guess you got a point about young coaches. Maybe Jerry T got a bad taste in young coaches from the Conway deal, but you can't judge them all from one bad experience. It probably scared him from hiring Rice and Seals. Billy will be the next head coach in my opinion when coach Smith hangs it up.

I wish I was a knowledgeable on the West side of town as you are on the East, but I only see Jeff and West play when they play the Canes and anything I said would be speculation, so I will take your word on that.