IMAC Baseball Tourney

PTSportsWriter

Thanks for the compliment CNFn, but he was not good enough for SEC play.  He did accomplish a lot in a short period of time, and has a great work ethic. Eastern Kentucky recruited him up until signing day, but in the end they thought he was too small. In reality at 6'1" he says that is the biggest change from high school. His linemen are so tall he has trouble seeing receivers down field. That most likely kept Greenvilles Cody Baugh from D-1 ball as well, I don't know that for sure but he had tremendous numbers in high school.

825679037[/snapback]

Sorry I don't buy the height thing. Look at Leak for Florida. Don't think he had much trouble and I doubt he is 6 ft. How about Spurrier , Flutie or Fran Tarkenton?

There are too many other examples of guys who were not 6' 2" or better that were great quarterbacks in college and the pros. The too small thing is way over rated.

I would much rather a quick, strong armed quarterback like Leak or Palazzola then a classic drop back and 6' 4" guy like Casey Clausen. I personally think both Baugh and Palazzola were D-1 prospects if they had someone promoting them outside of the area.

Speaking of height being over rated , think about Nash for the Pheonix Suns?

I know it is basketball but what sport more than any other over rates height as a predictor of success?

If his lineman are "too tall" then tell him to roll out and scramble like Tarkenton

or better yet drop back a few more yards like Leak. We know he has the speed and athletic ability to do both. Better yet, let him use it as motivation to prove them all wrong. Don't you hate it when someone tells you , you can't do something because you are too.......? BS You gotta believe it though FIRST.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think East football may fool alot of people, but not those on the inside. This year they are ready to make a big move forward. I would not be surprised if they place an athlete each year at a D-1 school in the next two years.

By the way will Rines and Altizer work together on the baseball team next year? That would be a good combination!

825680222[/snapback]

East will never be able to compete with Greeneville in football, baseball or basketball. We are a much smaller school with better athletes, coaches and tougher schedules.

I think East football may fool alot of people, but not those on the inside. This year they are ready to make a big move forward. I would not be surprised if they place an athlete each year at a D-1 school in the next two years.

By the way will Rines and Altizer work together on the baseball team next year? That would be a good combination!

825680222[/snapback]

I did not get to see many games last year, but do think football is headed in the right direction. The key to building a program is having a good stable coaching staff, and winning a few games to get athletes that are walking the halls to participate. I think that combination is in place.

Doug Rines in the short time that I had the priviledge of talking to him before he went to serve his country seemed to be a person that would be easy to get along with. Carliss is very opinionated, but at least you would know where he stood on matters, but I don't think he has a desire to get back into coaching full time, just my opinion I could be wrong.

Sorry I don't buy the height thing. Look at Leak for Florida. Don't think he had much trouble and I doubt he is 6 ft. How about Spurrier , Flutie or Fran Tarkenton?

There are too many other examples of guys who were not 6' 2" or better that were great quarterbacks in college and the pros. The too small thing is way over rated.

I would much rather a quick, strong armed quarterback like Leak or Palazzola then a classic drop back and 6' 4" guy like Casey Clausen. I personally think both Baugh and Palazzola were D-1 prospects if they had someone promoting them outside of the area.

Speaking of height being over rated , think about Nash for the Pheonix Suns?

I know it is basketball but what sport more than any other over rates height as a predictor of success?

If his lineman are "too tall" then tell him to roll out and scramble like Tarkenton

or better yet drop back a few more yards like Leak. We know he has the speed and athletic ability to do both. Better yet, let him use it as motivation to prove them all wrong. Don't you hate it when someone tells you , you can't do something because you are too.......? BS You gotta believe  it though FIRST.

825680240[/snapback]

Very good points. I agree with most. Maybe Eastern Ky. thought that easier than saying he was not good enough to play there.

I agree if you don't think you are the man you won't be. I do think he is motivated, he has gained 25lbs. since high school up to 192 lbs. and not lost any speed. I guess we will see when they open with Tusculum this fall ( Baugh should be their starter at QB ) . BTW his two starting OT's last year were 6'9" and 6'7"and many times he said he threw to a spot because he could not see his receivers. He has got to adapt and run the offense his coach tells him to run or he won't be playing so I am not going to tell him anything, but I will say they have put in a lot of sprint out and shotgun type plays to take advantage of his strengths.

East will never be able to compete with Greeneville in football, baseball or basketball. We are a much smaller school with better athletes, coaches and tougher schedules.

825680566[/snapback]

True or False? If you live anywhere in Greene County and have an outstanding athlete boy or girl they can attend Greenville H.S. because it is a city school.

I seem to remember East beating them at least one game this past year in all three of the mentioned sports, so what do you call competing?

Edited by Big Daddy

True or False? If you live anywhere in Greene County and have an outstanding athlete boy or girl they can attend Greenville H.S. because it is a city school.

I seem to remember East beating them at least one game this past year in all three of the mentioned sports, so what do you call competing?

825681362[/snapback]

Competing is either winning the regular season IMAC or the tournaments. Head to head competition is also part of it which Greeneville is way ahead in all three sports. With a few exceptions not sure East has the athletes of the caliber to compete with Greeneville over the long haul. Simpson and Palazola graduated long ago and you guys are still talking about them. I wonder why?

Edited by IMACJack

Competing is either winning the regular season IMAC or the tournaments. Head to head competition is also part of it which Greeneville is way ahead in all three sports. With a few exceptions not sure East has the athletes of the caliber to compete with Greeneville over the long haul. Simpson and Palazola graduated long ago and you guys are still talking about them. I wonder why?

825681374[/snapback]

One you did not answer my first question. Two they graduated last year, so by that logic nothing past this past year counts, which means that East won head to head in football, and also put the baseball team head to head out of the tournament. Two out of three major sports seems like competing to me. Then again maybe you count soccer, and my good friend John Eiskamp is a dandy, but if you go there we can count coach Ketrons IMAC tennis champs. So regardless seems like you have a strange idea of competing.

It does't matter to me but If Mo-town combind EAST & WEST, I believe Greenville would be in big trouble. As stated before Greenville HS has the run of the county. I might add the biggest County in east TN, If they combined all the north, south, west and Greenville High school the school would be hugh. Not to mention Chuck-Doak

Most years the IMAC cannot produce a state champ in any of the big three sports.

Greenville has had some good basketball teams in both boys and girls with in the last few years, but no state champ. JC is not fare behind but has made some great runs over the past 15 years, most years they could not get by Sevier Co, who alot of those years won the state.

In football West & Greenville have had some good teams but they can't beat Maryville most years. They also are in 4-A not 5-A with Jeff Co. so they do not have to play SH and DB. JC has fell on tough times in the late 90's and 2000'S.

In the 80's they were the class of the region.

In baseball, which JC is in the IMAC, Greenville has had some good teams lately however they general split with JC or maybe some other IMAC team. The IMAC still has a problem getting by DB and SH in baseball most every year. NO STATE CHAMP.

Girls softball JCHS has been the top dog in the conf. for the past ten years, EAST has had some real good teams but each year fall short of JC. JC has been to the state with in the past two or three years but can't win the big one.

It does't matter to me but If Mo-town combind EAST & WEST, I believe Greenville would be in big trouble. As stated before Greenville HS has the run of the county. I might add the biggest County in east TN, If they combined all the north, south, west and Greenville High school the school would be hugh. Not to mention Chuck-Doak

Most years the IMAC cannot produce a state champ in any of the big three sports.

Greenville has had some good basketball teams in both boys and girls with in the last few years, but no state champ. JC is not fare behind but has made some great runs over the past 15 years, most years they could not get by Sevier Co, who alot of those years won the state.

In football West & Greenville have had some good teams but they can't beat Maryville most years. They also are in 4-A not 5-A with Jeff Co. so they do not have to play SH and DB. JC has fell on tough times in the late 90's and 2000'S.

In the 80's they were the class of the region.

In baseball, which JC is in the IMAC, Greenville has had some good teams lately however they general split with JC or maybe some other IMAC team. The IMAC still has a problem getting by DB and SH in baseball most every year. NO STATE CHAMP.

Girls softball JCHS has been the top dog in the conf. for the past ten years, EAST has had some real good teams but each year fall short of JC. JC has been to the state with in the past two or three years but can't win the big one.

825681454[/snapback]

If you combine East and West the enrollment would be around 2500. S.Greene, N.Greene, W.Greene,and Chuckey have a combined enrollment of just under 2100.

Greeneville lists its enrollment at 834. Combining Greene county and city system would create a school with around 3000 students. Poor little Jeff county with its 1950 students could never compete with such bohemoths. Thank God the expense of busing 3000 students from the over 600 square miles of Greene County would be cost prohibitive. As far as Greeneville's enrollment policy, while open enrollment exists, many parents in the rural areas can't afford the tuition or the cost of transportation to the city high school. If Greeneville truly has the " run of the county' then why are athletes such as the Waddel twins and Tyler Sauceman still at South Greene. Sometimes it isn't really about sports you know.

Logistically, the IMAC will struggle to field the athletes necessary to compete. Rural areas such as ours do not allow for easy commutes for parents as does Maryville, Oak Ridge, Sevier County, DB and more urban areas. MoWest football and Greeneville and Jeff basketball will remain fairly competitive although I think Greeneville would fare better in football if they dropped back to their correct division. No easy answers for the IMAC.

If you combine East and West the enrollment would be around 2500. S.Greene, N.Greene, W.Greene,and Chuckey have a combined enrollment of just under 2100.

Greeneville lists its enrollment at 834. Combining Greene county and city system would create a school with around 3000 students. Poor little Jeff county with its 1950 students could never compete with such bohemoths. Thank God the expense of busing 3000 students from the over 600 square miles of Greene County would be cost prohibitive. As far as Greeneville's enrollment policy, while open enrollment exists, many parents in the rural areas can't afford the tuition or the cost of transportation to the city high school. If Greeneville truly has the " run of the county' then why are athletes such as the Waddel twins and Tyler Sauceman still at South Greene. Sometimes it isn't really about sports you know.

Logistically, the IMAC will struggle to field the athletes necessary to compete. Rural areas such as ours do not allow for easy commutes for parents as does Maryville, Oak Ridge, Sevier County, DB and more urban areas. MoWest football and Greeneville and Jeff basketball  will remain fairly competitive although I think Greeneville would fare better in football if they dropped back to their correct division. No easy answers for the IMAC.

825681716[/snapback]

Wow I cant believe this post is still going strong and the IMAC tourney is long over.

The IMAC has some real talented players and I predict more than a few will make it big time

Though Barb is from greeneville, i will have to agree with her :o The IMAC is never going to be able to compete with the knoxville and other urban schools on a regular basis. In the IMAC you play with the talent you are dealt, some years it may be good, some years it may be bad.