District 11-AAA Tournament

soccerfan05

The District 11-AAA tournament gets underway tonight. If you look at the seedings on the Williamson Co. side, it seems that Franklin got snubbed. Franklin goes 2-1-1 in the district, with a loss to Brentwood, wins against Centennial and Independence, and tie with Ravenwood. Franklin and Ravenwood were tied for second, however, Ravenwood (1-0-3) got the 2nd seed with a rather creative scoring system determined at a Saturday meeting. This seems strange, since after the BHS-RHS game on Friday night, it appeared Franklin would get the tiebreaker by a point. I don't know what went down at the meeting, but I'm anxious to know. My seedings would read:

1. Brentwood

2. Franklin

3. Ravenwood

4. Centennial

5. Independence

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think (and only my opinion) that Ravenwood deserves the 2nd seed because of their strong performance this year... undefeated. I don't go to Ravenwood, but I have seen them play and I've seen Franklin play. Ravenwood is a better team.

Comments on the rest of the district:

1) Brentwood should win the district and region, but they will not win state.

2) This district is clearly the most competitive in the state of TN.

3) Someone (or more than one) will get left out of the regional tournament that deserves to be there.

4) With the addition of Independence (who showed a strong performance this year!) to the district, 11 AAA is fun to follow and great teams like Brentwood, Ravenwood, Centennial, Franklin and Independence should be proud to be apart of such a competitive atmosphere.

5) Does anyone know if the Williamson County "half" of the district will break-off from the others (Hickman Co, Overton, Hillwood, Hillsboro?)

6) Does Brentwood have a chance to have such a good team next year... I heard they are graduating most of their best players.

In regards to the seedings, it doesn't really matter anymore because Franklin got the second round match they wanted against Ravenwood; however, the formula that was decided upon at the meeting was completely bogus. There shouldn't have been an argument to begin with. It is standard (and has always been standard) that a team recieves 3 points for a win and 1 for a tie. That would have given FHS the second seed. Anyway.... what's done is done and Franklin is heading into the game against RHS with a 3-0 dominating performance of Hillsboro. Ravenwood's undefeated record looks nice, but when you look at their non-district games, it leaves one to question what it might be with a BHS or FHS schedule. I'm gonna go ahead and say Franklin 3-1.

i meant to post this when i got home last night, but i had two AP tests today...franklin/ravenwood game last night-INCREDIBLE. maybe the most exciting high school game i have ever seen. there is a lot to be said so i'll break it up in paragraphs, sort of.

game synopsis: franklin came out fast and agressive and looked to be the better team for about the first 20 min. tyler kahn made some saves and franklin couldn't put many shots on frame. ravenwood eventually picked up their play and posession was pretty even. in the second half i felt ravenwood played better and got more shots on rex runyeon. with about five minutes ranvenwood scored. i honestly can't remember that well how it happened other than it was a header. after the goal franklin looked really dejected. i thought ravenwood pretty much had the game, until stoppage time. it seemed like with a couple minutes left franklin got a second wind and peppered the goal. within that stoppage time franklin took a free kick outside the box. it was cleared out then put back in and bounced around and somehow ended up in front of jeremy acree who scored one of the sweetest goals i've ever seen on a volley outside the box or around there (i really can't remember it was so crazy with all the fans). obviously the game went into overtime. over the 2 ten minute overtime halves both teams had a couple chances but nothing too remarkable. it was incredibly even. taylor smith had a goal called back b/c he fouled the defender to get to the ball and i think that was in the first overtime. after those 20 min they played 2 5 minute sudden death periods. nothing much happaned and they went into a shoot out. each team made their first two shots. tyler kahn stopped franklins third and fourth shots and ravenwood continued making theirs so the raptors won in the shootout 4-2.

i have a lot of respect for both teams. to play that long is insane. its a shame the game had to end in a shootout because either team deserved to win the game. this game was hard fought the whole time. neither team let up even though they were probably dead tired.

tyler kahn came up huge. i think 2 years ago when overzealous friend's of kahn's said he was the best goalie in williamson county, they were being a bit ridiculous. but kahn has turned out to be quite a player. without lazear graduating from centennial, kahn is clearly the class of district 11-aaa and along with club teammate corbin walker one of the best in williamson county. the two saves he made in the shootout went along with an incredible save on a shot from bond davis from point blank range in which bond shot across tylers body and he got the ball with his foot. i'm not good at describing this stuff, but you'l lhave to believe me. it was an awesome save.

some players really need to be a lot smarter and realize they don't help their team when they're getting sent off for a yellow card, and worse when they have to sit out the game for a red card. andy martinez picked up his second yellow apparently for arguing a call with the ref (it was a horrible call). brad veach, who was the victim of the horrible call kept his cool and walked away despite getting the shaft, but andy walked right and started jawing. just a bonehead move. taylor smith got his second yellow (and what should have been a straight red) for trying kill doug campbell. well i'm exageratting, but it was a dirty classless play. in retaliation from a previous play where brad veach got away with a hard tackle smith charged at campbell and throw an elbow making no play on the ball. when campbell got in his face (i'm sure they were talking) smith headbutted campbell. just ridiculous stuff.

the ref was horrible. that guy should never do a game of that level again.

anyone who didn't see this game really missed out.

i meant to post this when i got home last night, but i had two AP tests today...franklin/ravenwood game last night-INCREDIBLE.  maybe the most exciting high school game i have ever seen.  there is a lot to be said so i'll break it up in paragraphs, sort of.

game synopsis: franklin came out fast and agressive and looked to be the better team for about the first 20 min.  tyler kahn made some saves and franklin couldn't put many shots on frame.  ravenwood eventually picked up their play and posession was pretty even.  in the second half i felt ravenwood played better and got more shots on rex runyeon.  with about five minutes ranvenwood scored.  i honestly can't remember that well how it happened other than it was a header.  after the goal franklin looked really dejected.  i thought ravenwood pretty much had the game, until stoppage time.  it seemed like with a couple minutes left franklin got a second wind and peppered the goal.  within that stoppage time franklin took a free kick outside the box.  it was cleared out then put back in and bounced around and somehow ended up in front of jeremy acree who scored one of the sweetest goals i've ever seen on a volley outside the box or around there (i really can't remember it was so crazy with all the fans).  obviously the game went into overtime.  over the 2 ten minute overtime halves both teams had a couple chances but nothing too remarkable.  it was incredibly even. taylor smith had a goal called back b/c he fouled the defender to get to the ball and i think that was in the first overtime.  after those 20 min they played 2 5 minute sudden death periods.  nothing much happaned and they went into a shoot out.  each team made their first two shots.  tyler kahn stopped franklins third and fourth shots and ravenwood continued making theirs so the raptors won in the shootout 4-2.

i have a lot of respect for both teams.  to play that long is insane.  its a shame the game had to end in a shootout because either team deserved to win the game.  this game was hard fought the whole time.  neither team let up even though they were probably dead tired.

tyler kahn came up huge.  i think 2 years ago when overzealous friend's of kahn's said he was the best goalie in williamson county, they were being a bit ridiculous.  but kahn has turned out to be quite a player.  without lazear graduating from centennial, kahn is clearly the class of district 11-aaa and along with club teammate corbin walker one of the best in williamson county.  the two saves he made in the shootout went along with an incredible save on a shot from bond davis from point blank range in which bond shot across tylers body and he got the ball with his foot.  i'm not good at describing this stuff, but you'l lhave to believe me.  it was an awesome save.

some players really need to be a lot smarter and realize they don't help their team when they're getting sent off for a yellow card, and worse when they have to sit out the game for a red card.  andy martinez picked up his second yellow apparently for arguing a call with the ref (it was a horrible call).  brad veach, who was the victim of the horrible call kept his cool and walked away despite getting the shaft, but andy walked right and started jawing.  just a bonehead move.  taylor smith got his second yellow (and what should have been a straight red) for trying kill doug campbell.  well i'm exageratting, but it was a dirty classless play.  in retaliation from a previous play where brad veach got away with a hard tackle smith charged at campbell and throw an elbow making no play on the ball. when campbell got in his face (i'm sure they were talking) smith headbutted campbell.  just ridiculous stuff.

the ref was horrible.  that guy should never do a game of that level again.

825670975[/snapback]

chs05, that was a great account of the game. As a player for Franklin (and being a senior), this had to be the most heartbreaking loss I have ever experienced. I had never been in a more physical (and physically demanding) game in my life. The crowd was in to it, the players were playing hard, but the refs were just flat out horrible. Some of the free kicks he gave for ridiculous calls could have drastically changed the game, and Ravenwood defintely should have capitalized on the many chances they had from 30 yards out. On the other hand, we had our chances too, and I really think we should have won. Losing on penalty kicks is a tough way to end a game, and not to mention, end a season and possibly a soccer career. On the bright side, Acree's goal was probably the best goal I've seen from any team all season, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Oh yea... Taylor Smith's double yellow was ridiculous. It should have been a straight red. There is no excuse for headbutting someone. Not to mention, when I tried to break it up, he gave me a low blow, inciting a lot more anger. Anyway.... Ravenwood is a good team, but I don't see them beating Brentwood tonight.... I don't know how they could have anything else in them. I see them making it through regions (because the competition is horrible) but losing in sub-state to Hendersonville.

Edited by soccerfan05

the ref was horrible.  that guy should never do a game of that level again.

825670975[/snapback]

Thanks for the great recap of the game... as always, very nice. Sounds like a tough night for the Rebels. Really unfortunate... hopefully though, we can keep a coach and build on a season.

This ref... what did he look like? I'm wondering if he's one of the horrible ones from last year. I hate to complain about officiating in any sport... but sometimes it is needed... seems like it was this time.

1st goal for Ravenwood was a header. One forward pulled the sweeper down the other one headed it in. Ref on the line called the foul - center ref over ruled him. 2nd goal for Ravenwood was a repeat of the first - this time center ref went along with the linesman who again called the foul. Linesman also called a foul on the Ravenwood keeper in overtime I think - ref overruled and called it on Franklin forward.

Straight red for Ravenwood - should have been a guarantee but it seemed the ref pulled out both cards by mistake - the player went off the field yelling profanity at the ref and linesman - real class act.

Referee was lucky no one got seriously hurt - he was incompetent.

Thanks for the great recap of the game... as always, very nice. Sounds like a tough night for the Rebels. Really unfortunate... hopefully though, we can keep a coach and build on a season.

This ref... what did he look like? I'm wondering if he's one of the horrible ones from last year. I hate to complain about officiating in any sport... but sometimes it is needed... seems like it was this time.

825671691[/snapback]

Real tall - white hair, semi-long, in a ponytail, scruffy beard and mustache. Can't run (very stiff). Calls holding all the time even when it's a trip or push or handball - always gives the holding sign.

[quotedon't know how they could have anything else in them. I see them making it through regions (because the competition is horrible) but losing in sub-state to Hendersonville.

825671643[/snapback]

Umm lets see Frankling beat Hillsboro 3-0 and Glencliff beat them 2-0 with a starting forward out. Dont see how that makes them horrible competition to play Ravenwood or Brentwood. Maybe I'm wrong?

I'm going on my experience in regions. I don't really know what the competition is like this year, but in the past it has been nothing compared to district play. It seems like Brentwood and Franklin always meet up in regional finals. Its dissapointing it won't happen this year.... I guess Franklin got the bad end of the deal in playing in arguably the toughest district in the state.