Who is team to beat in Region 1 5A?

VolViking

With spring practice winding down, are there any teams that can challenge Dobyns-Bennett for the Region 1 5A crown?

Can Jefferson Co., led by Shiverdecker, pose a threat?

Will Sevier Co. and Science Hill rebound from disappointing seasons (by their standards) to challenge?

Will Campbell Co. prove last year was no fluke and continue the upward swing of their program?

Can Karns and Bearden mount a challenge to put the Knox area schools back in contention?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With spring practice winding down, are there any teams that can challenge Dobyns-Bennett for the Region 1 5A crown?

Can Jefferson Co.,  led by Shiverdecker, pose a threat?

Will Sevier Co. and Science Hill rebound from disappointing seasons (by their standards) to challenge?

Will Campbell Co. prove last year was no fluke and continue the upward swing of their program?

Can Karns and Bearden mount a challenge to put the Knox area schools back in contention?

Any thoughts?

825673482[/snapback]

Viking,

Who do you feel are the most likely candidates from that group to give D-B a challenge.

Viking,

Who do you feel are the most likely candidates from that group to give D-B a challenge.

825673489[/snapback]

I haven't heard enough about the other teams to make an educated guess, but based on some factors from last year, I would have to go, relunctantly, with Jefferson Co. The reason I am relunctant is because I hate the thoughts of seeing all of JC4Life's posts on here! <_<

I can't see Bearden being a factor with the turmoil that surrounded their program last year. Karns lost a major portion of their offense with the graduation of Elders.

If the Campbell Co. defense matures in a hurry, they should make another playoff run, but I wonder about what Science Hill and Sevier Co. will have.

How bad was Dobyns-Bennett hurt by graduation? I know they lost their stud WR and QB, but expect them to simply reload.

no one in that conference will stop db. if will be hard to stop them in the region, after that, they will face teams just as talented as them. i want to see what can of game elizabethton gives them, everyone knows db is more talented and athletic, but everyone also knows the heart the cyclones plays with.

825679132[/snapback]

Now countyrboy, don't fool everyone into thinking DB is always loaded, has all this talent, and Betsy does not. We all know DB lost many great players to graduation, however we hope to have some people fill in their shoes. We are also aware that this year Elizabethton is expecting more from their team this year than the past few years. DB plays with heart too, they have to because there is always an X on their back, especially when we play local teams like Betsy. I look for 4A Betsy and 4A TN High to be our toughest regular season games, after Oak Ridge of course (they are pretty stacked this year) But anyway, Betsy, from what I hear has more than their fair share of talent this year. I look for it to be an awesome game. I only get to go to a few DB games because I live in Nashville. I will be at Betsy High 8/19/2005 because I know the atmosphere and game will be incredible.

Edited by bud

• 2 weeks later...

* BUMP* Now that the boards are open again, let's get some input on Region 1 5A

Can Jefferson Co.,  led by Shiverdecker, pose a threat?

Any thoughts?

825673482[/snapback]

I would have to go, relunctantly, with Jefferson Co. The reason I am relunctant is because I hate the thoughts of seeing all of JC4Life's posts on here!

While I would like nothing better than to let the rest of region 1 know that Jeff Co will be a threat to challenge for the top spot of region 1, but sadly I don`t think it will happen this year. We`re are very young, and for the first time in a long time the team doesn`t have a lot of size. Thankfully we had a good freshman team last year (and I hear we`ll have another good group this fall), so we will be getting back some of the type of athletes we had in 2002 and 2003. The Patriots have a lot things to work out, we have to rebuild the front 7 on defense, there will be another battle for the QB position that will have to be sorted out, we had to rebuild the o-line, and we`ll have to have someone step up to be the leader of the team. Jefferson Co will take their lumps this year, but every team has to go through a rebuilding period and, Jeff Co is having theirs. Shiverdecker is good enough to get us a few wins by himself, if the o-line comes around the offense could produce enough to get a few more, but not enough with the brutal schedule we have this year. Look for Jeff Co to bounce back strong in 2006 and make another run at the top of 5A in east tennessee.

While I would like nothing better than to let the rest of region 1 know that Jeff Co will be a threat to challenge for the top spot of region 1, but sadly I don`t think it will happen this year. We`re are very young, and for the first time in a long time the team doesn`t have a lot of size. Thankfully we had a good freshman team last year (and I hear we`ll have another good group this fall), so we will be getting back some of the type of athletes we had in 2002 and 2003. The Patriots have a lot things to work out, we have to rebuild the front 7 on defense, there will be another battle for the QB position that will have to be sorted out, we had to rebuild the o-line, and we`ll have to have someone step up to be the leader of the team. Jefferson Co will take their lumps this year, but every team has to go through a rebuilding period and, Jeff Co is having theirs. Shiverdecker is good enough to get us a few wins by himself, if the o-line comes around the offense could produce enough to get a few more, but not enough with the brutal schedule we have this year. Look for Jeff Co to bounce back strong in 2006 and make another run at the top of 5A in east tennessee.

825685265[/snapback]

How much experience does Jefferson Co. have coming back on the O-Line?

How much experience does Jefferson Co. have coming back on the O-Line?

825685686[/snapback]

Both guards are returning, one a junior the other a senior, the rest are sophmores I believe. We would have had 3 starters coming back, but one transfered to a rival school (I don`t want to start arguing with the Oakland fans so I won`t get into why). Besides the QB position, the position I am more concerned about is the line, on both offense and defense. Overcoming the lack of size and inexperience on both sides of the ball will be the key to what kind of success the Pats have this fall.