AAA state

weaveworld

How is Bearden, Oak Ridge and CAK weak?

825683044[/snapback]

Please read. I did not say any of those teams are weak. You won't here that from me. I said the argument about their schedule making them better than teams in the other parts of the state is a weak argument.

BTW, there were six MidTN teams in the state semi finals. Three of them will be playing for championships. This is a higher percentage than any other region.

Edited by bhs007

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bhs007- you would be a NO GO on a Map reading.  Check your distance.  Hendersonville is about 30 miles from Brentwood. 

My point on other post has been that most of the kids that have won the State Championships over the last 4 years live across the street from each other in some cases and play with and against each other every day.  I can't think of any where else in TN that has 6 Championship teams over a 4 year period living next door to each other.

825683039[/snapback]

15 mi. - 30 mi. They still play each other ALL the time each and every year, even play together on clubs teams. Anyway, your post is irrelevant since the east is completely shut out in AAA this year. Good luck next year.

Did I miss something?  Farragut and Bearden both lost by one point correct! 

Both of their coaches said that these teams had less talent then their teams in the past at state but they played with heart. Quote from Knoxnews:

Bearden coach Eric Turner. "This isn't the most-talented team we've ever had, but they've been scrappy all year," he said. "We didn't do the little things well in the first half, but we showed that scrappiness in the second. "It's tough making that six-hour bus ride over here and then sitting in the hotel room for 24 hours playing a lot of Halo (an X-box game)."

Still the best that Brentwwood could do is win by a questionable call and Hendersonville by one point over Bearden.  Wow Farragut did that twice in the last 30 days. 

To have 3 State Champion Caliber teams(Farragut, Bearden and CAK)  in a 5 mile radius says tons about Knoxville Soccer. Looks like the AAA Soccer Champion torch passed to the Middle TN area this year by 1 point games so I guess there will be back to back Championships. <_<

Brentwood and Hendersonville has always had great select teams and it's showing in their High School programs.  Good Luck to all the players and their fans.

825683010[/snapback]

Why do you have such a chip on your shoulder? Agony of defeat? We have not said the teams in the east are weak. We are just tired of you all saying it all the time about MidTN based on how tremendously hard your schedule is. Now you are whinning about questionable calls and berating the accomplishments of Brentwood and Hendersonville.. Get some more info before you spout. Do some real investigation, get the facts, show some respect and give credit where credit is due. More than likely, we'll do the same.

Great season Bearden! You've played hard all year and have a lot to be proud of. Congratulations to Coaches Turner and Radcliffe and the Bulldogs for another great year.

As for bhs007, I think he's been a fair and reasonable defender of the Middle Region AAA teams. We don't exactly agree on the scheduling debate, but it's just a debate. No absolute right or wrong. I certainly don't think either Brentwood or Hendersonville "dumbs down" their schedule--I just think it would be great if they'd schedule more top-level teams during the regular season for the benefit of all involved.

The East has dominated AAA for many years and it is totally understandable that Brentwood, Hendersonville and the other Middle schools are tired of it. The Middle is entitled to its day in the sun and, unless I'm missing something, the sun is pretty bright right now in Nashville. As a die-hard East fan, I just hope their day doesn't last very long. Knowing Bearden and Farragut, darkness may fall over Nashville again in '06, but that's a long time off.

Good luck to both Brentwood and Hendersonville tomorrow. You have been great representatives of your schools and Region. Maybe the Blackman poster will learn something from watching you.

Great season Bearden!  You've played hard all year and have a lot to be proud of.  Congratulations to Coaches Turner and Radcliffe and the Bulldogs for another great year.

As for bhs007, I think he's been a fair and reasonable defender of the Middle Region AAA teams.  We don't exactly agree on the scheduling debate, but it's just a debate.  No absolute right or wrong.  I certainly don't think either Brentwood or Hendersonville "dumbs down" their schedule--I just think it would be great if they'd schedule more top-level teams during the regular season for the benefit of all involved.

The East has dominated AAA for many years and it is totally understandable that Brentwood, Hendersonville and the other Middle schools are tired of it.  The Middle is entitled to its day in the sun and, unless I'm missing something, the sun is pretty bright right now in Nashville.  As a die-hard East fan, I just hope their day doesn't last very long.  Knowing Bearden and Farragut, darkness may fall over Nashville again in '06, but that's a long time off. 

Good luck to both Brentwood and Hendersonville tomorrow.  You have been great representatives of your schools and Region.  Maybe the Blackman poster will learn something from watching you.

825683126[/snapback]

We agree about more than we disagree <_<

someone correct me if i'm wrong but i heard that some knoxville schools are open zoning. if this is so then that would definitley explain their dominance over the past years. there are lots of middle tennessee cities that would be competing with them every year if they were alowed to choose thier school. for example clarksville area has like 6 highschools for a medium sized city. if the rossview and clarksville kids went to school together they would definitley be in the running every year. just think if franklin kids could choose to go to bhs (not that they would) or gallatin players to hendersonville. i'm not saying that knoxville is not deserving of their respect, however, if the playing fields were evened then i think the power in the state would shift from year to year.

someone correct me if i'm wrong but i heard that some knoxville schools are open zoning.  if this is so then that would definitley explain their dominance over the past years.  there are lots of middle tennessee cities that would be competing with them every year if they were alowed to choose thier school.  for example clarksville area has like 6 highschools for a medium sized city.  if the rossview and clarksville kids went to school together they would definitley be in the running every year.  just think if franklin kids could choose to go to bhs (not that they would) or gallatin players to hendersonville. i'm not saying that knoxville is not deserving of their  respect, however, if the playing fields were evened then i think the power in the state would shift from year to year.

825683162[/snapback]

No. The Knoxville public school players attend school by zone. Bearden and Farragut border one another on Knoxville's westside, so there are literally players at each school that live across the street from one another. Knoxville Catholic, Webb, CAK, Farragut and Bearden are all within about 5 miles of one another and the talent gets spread out across all of them with Farragut and Bearden getting most of the players. If all of Knoxville's recent (post 1998) talent had gone to the same school, it would have been one fine team with a bunch of All-Staters fighting for playing time.

farragut and bearden are overpopulated schools and in nashville area most schools have half the kids of bearden and farragut. This is why they are good. The "good" players are spread around 3-4 schools in Knoxville, in nashville the same are spread around 8-9 schools.

If you look at good club teams in nashville one team is represented by like 7-8 schools. I believe knoxville only won like 1 state championship in youth club soccer last year out of boys and girls u14-19 every other one was nashville. this would explain this theory.

farragut and bearden are overpopulated schools and in nashville area most schools have half the kids of bearden and farragut.  This is why they are good.  The "good" players are  spread around 3-4 schools in Knoxville, in nashville the same are spread around 8-9 schools. 

If you look at good club teams in nashville one team is represented by like 7-8 schools.  I believe knoxville only won like 1 state championship in youth club soccer last year out of boys and girls u14-19 every other one was nashville.  this would explain this theory.

825683263[/snapback]

No, actually Knoxville's "good" players are easily spread among 7 or 8 schools in the city and more when you throw in Oak Ridge, Lenoir City and Maryville---all of which border Knox County and all of which supply players to the main Knoxville soccer clubs (TVFC Diadora Impact, Smokey Mountain SC and Knoxville FC).

As for last year's boys D1 club tournament results, Nashville did finally have some wins on the boys side after years of being nearly shut out. I think that success is showing up this year in the high school state tournament. But the club championship distribution wasn't as stated in this post. Nashville won three divisions --not 5 of 6---U-14 (TNFC), U-16 (TNFC)and U-17 (Brentwood Rangers) and was second in one U-18 (Brentwood Rage). Knoxville went from winning five of six divisions in 2003 to only winning two last year, U-15 (SMSC Select) and U-18 (Diadora Impact) and taking second in two, U-16 (Diadora Impact) and U-17 (SMSC Fire). Memphis had only two 2nd place finishes at U-14 and U-15. Chattanooga had no finalists. Last year's U-19 team was an all-star team from all over the state, so they don't really factor in.

What I don't understand is that Knoxville has a population of only 175,000 people which about doubles when you include Knox and surrounding counties. Davidson County alone has somewhere around 1.3 million people. On sheer numbers of players alone Nashville should be burying Knoxville, but that hasn't happened. Something is going on at the club level in Knoxville that has allowed the smallest of the State's cities to consistently compete successfully against Memphis and Nashville which have a far greater player pools and far better field resources.

No, actually Knoxville's "good" players are easily spread among 7 or 8 schools in the city and more when you throw in Oak Ridge, Lenoir City and Maryville---all of which border Knox County and all of which supply players to the main Knoxville soccer clubs (TVFC Diadora Impact, Smokey Mountain SC and Knoxville FC). 

As for last year's boys D1 club tournament results, Nashville did finally have some wins on the boys side after years of being nearly shut out.  I think that success is showing up this year in the high school state tournament.  But the club championship distribution wasn't as stated in this post.  Nashville won three divisions --not 5 of 6---U-14 (TNFC), U-16 (TNFC)and U-17 (Brentwood Rangers) and was second in one U-18 (Brentwood Rage).  Knoxville went from winning five of six divisions in 2003 to only winning two last year, U-15 (SMSC Select) and U-18 (Diadora Impact) and taking second in two, U-16 (Diadora Impact) and U-17 (SMSC Fire).  Memphis had only two 2nd place finishes at U-14 and U-15.  Chattanooga had no finalists. Last year's U-19 team was an all-star team from all over the state, so they don't really factor in. 

What I don't understand is that Knoxville has a population of only 175,000 people which about doubles when you include Knox and surrounding counties.  Davidson County alone has somewhere around 1.3 million people.  On sheer numbers of players alone Nashville should be burying Knoxville, but that hasn't happened.  Something is going on at the club level in Knoxville that has allowed the smallest of the State's  cities to consistently compete successfully against Memphis and Nashville which have a far greater player pools and far better field resources.

825683522[/snapback]

Hoya, one theory you might want to consider would be the fact that MidTN may have more athletic individuals not playing soccer in order to focus on football, lacrosse, basketball or baseball. If you have a much smaller pool of athletic individuals, I would think that they would tend to show up in multiple sports more often. For instance, Brentwood has only one football player (I know of) and he is a place kicker. Also, he is a bench player on the soccer team due to injuries and such. Lowder plays basketball but I don't think that is his focus. We had one player in rugby. After that, I think all our boys make soccer their only sport. Any ideas on how many wrestlers, football and basketball players are playing soccer in your area? At state this year, when you look at Bearden and Farragut, the first thing you notice is the sheer overall height and bulkiness of their players as compared to the middle and west teams. I've never thought that these factors alone could guarantee successful soccer results, and have seen many smaller, more agile teams, out play what appear to be physically stronger teams. This is often due to their ability to use skill, speed and teamwork to their advantage. When you look at the numbers of players and resources, you are right, it doesn't make much sense but I think the talent pool is spread much thinner in a larger area. I think you all deserve to be proud of the level of soccer you produce. I am just glad to see that we are matching up. Regardless of calls or who dominated who, I think Farragut would admit that they played an excellent team from Brentwood.

Hoya, one theory you might want to consider would be the fact that MidTN may have more athletic individuals not playing soccer in order to focus on football, lacrosse, basketball or baseball. If you have a much smaller pool of athletic individuals, I would think that they would tend to show up in multiple sports more often. For instance, Brentwood has only one football player (I know of) and he is a place kicker. Also, he is a bench player on the soccer team due to injuries and such. Lowder plays basketball but I don't think that is his focus. We had one player in rugby. After that, I think all our boys make soccer their only sport. Any ideas on how many wrestlers, football and basketball players are playing soccer in your area? At state this year, when you look at Bearden and Farragut, the first thing you notice is the sheer overall height and bulkiness of their players as compared to the middle and west teams. I've never thought that these factors alone could guarantee successful soccer results, and have seen many smaller, more agile teams, out play what appear to be physically stronger teams. This is often due to their ability to use skill, speed and teamwork to their advantage. When you look at the numbers of players and resources, you are right, it doesn't make much sense but I think the talent pool is spread much thinner in a larger area. I think you all deserve to be proud of the level of soccer you produce. I am just glad to see that we are matching up. Regardless of calls or who dominated who, I think Farragut would admit that they played an excellent team from Brentwood.

825683569[/snapback]

Hoya had a great post! Good point on the numbers. I have a son who lettered in three sports (Soccer, Wrestling & Cross Country) at Farragut as a freshman. Most of the teams expect their players to dedicate their time to one sport. Some of the select teams do the same thing and try to force the young men to decide. This is our 5th year living in Farragut and we have seen the teams win State Championships in Cross Country, Track, Golf, Baseball and Soccer. Not to mention the Wrestling team finish high as 4th and all the individual Champions they have had. I don't think that most of the Farragut kids know that is not the norm for most schools. Our Football and Basketball teams are expected to only concentrate on their one sport. So you will not find them on the Soccer field in most cases. Brentwood has always had great soccer.