McMinn/Hendersonville

McMnnSccrFan

To bad for mcminn.... we'll get em back next year...it was a great year for mcminn how did the defense do?

825682294[/snapback]

They allowed 5 goals. Does that not tell you? McMinn might struggle a little bit next year also, i doubt they will get them back.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the score doesn't really reflect how good/or bad mcminn is.  like i said on a different thread, hendersonville is starting to play their best soccer and at the top of their game are atleast 2 goals better than every other team in the state

825682449[/snapback]

I watched this game and thought McMinn gathered themselves pretty well after the first goal. They def. deserved to be at state, especially compared to the Blackman/Gtown game. Hendersonville just had it all going last night. Daniel Kelly's first goal was beautiful. If there would have been film, they would be playing it on ESPN. The whole Brentwood team was standing up watching (from the sideline of the Blackman game) and clapped for him, in admiration. They look forward to shutting him down though.

I would rate McMinn County's performance in the state tournament the last few years as dissappointing. They are underachievers. For the last three years they have had arguably the best talent in the state. Unfortunatly they cannot put it together when it counts. They rely too much on athleticism and have no sense of organization. Maybe instead of beating people 17-0 in the regular season they should use those games to get better. Maybe possess the ball a bit, work on something that will help you when the time comes to face a Hendersonville. In all honesty they were outplayed by Soddy Daisy and didn't look great against Cookeville. I would certainly rate the season's end as dissappointing but predictable. Who is to blame? Thoughts?

I would rate McMinn County's performance in the state tournament the last few years as dissappointing.  They are underachievers.  For the last three years they have had arguably the best talent in the state.  Unfortunatly they cannot put it together when it counts.  They rely too much on athleticism and have no sense of organization.  Maybe instead of beating people 17-0 in the regular season they should use those games to get better.  Maybe possess the ball a bit,  work on something that will help you when the time comes to face a Hendersonville.  In all honesty they were outplayed by Soddy Daisy and didn't look great against Cookeville.  I would certainly rate the season's end as dissappointing but predictable.  Who is to blame? Thoughts?

825682539[/snapback]

Not to put him down but; I have seen many post praising their coach. However, from your post it sounds like more of a coaching problem. :)

Edited by TDJ85

I would rate McMinn County's performance in the state tournament the last few years as dissappointing.  They are underachievers.  For the last three years they have had arguably the best talent in the state.  Unfortunatly they cannot put it together when it counts. 

825682539[/snapback]

bigpoppa, don't be so hard on your team. McMinn Co. has had some terrific players for the last 3 or 4 years; however, there are few folks outside of Athens who would agree that the Cherokees had "arguably the best talent in the state." Most of the teams in the tournament have three or four outstanding players, just like McMinn Co. Your talent has been excellent, but alot of other teams have been at that level or higher.

Look who you've drawn in the tournament. This year, you got #1 ranked Hendersonville which has one US National team player, at least one returning All Stater and probably three or four more players who will be stongly considered for All State this year. In 2003 and 2004 you drew, unbelievably, #1 ranked Farragut BOTH years, and the Admirals' teams were both Nationally ranked and had multiple All State players and at least two Tennessee AAA Gatorade Players of the Year. Your results at state would have been matched by nearly every other team in Tennessee if they were put in a similar situation.

Having watched you play this season and last, I agree with you that some extra work on possession would help, particularly in games against good teams where you fall behind. McMinn's agressive straight-on game tends to expose your defense to counter-attacks when you lose the ball on offense. If you score, no problem. But if you lose the ball, you tend to have a lot of people forward and if the other team is fast and can pass, there is a problem. I also think trading a few games like McMinn Central or Red Bank (twice each?) for teams like Baylor, McCallie, Webb or Science Hill wouldn't hurt.

Overall, I think McMinn Co. has been a very fine team with very fine players that has had the worst tournament draws in the State for 3 years in a row. With Kimball and Slack and company, you'll be in the hunt again next year.

I did not see any of the McMinn games this season other than a few minutes against Hendersonville this weekend. I would expect that McMinn's problems with facing quality teams at the state tournament is that they don't have 11 players to possess the ball with. It sounds like they have many good players but if you look at the schedule they lost all but one of the games where they played quality teams. They did beat Bearden but that was the only team that stands out in my view as being one that could look for a championship potentially. The vast majority of their schedule was filled with teams that don't have much hold back a team that has a handfull of good players. It's easy to get into the rut of playing one on one and beating single players to score. When one of the top teams is involved a team really has trouble scoring unless they attack as a team with numbers. Good goalies will stop most shots that come at them if a single player is attacking. It takes getting the goalie out of position and attacking with two or more players to make good things happen against good teams. It looks great in the paper to have guys score 30+ goals in the season but if they are scored against teams that are not helping to make the team better at the end of the season, what good are they? I don't mean to take anything away from McMinn's top players because scoring that many goals in a season is really something great! Congrats! I think that if McMinn wants to improve I would suggest they add more of the quality teams from the Knoxville and Chattanooga areas to their schedules so that they don't fall into the habit of beating teams with individual play, play that won't work often against teams vying for the state championship. Good luck next year!

Edited by Readthefield

I would rate McMinn County's performance in the state tournament the last few years as dissappointing.  They are underachievers.  For the last three years they have had arguably the best talent in the state.  Unfortunatly they cannot put it together when it counts.  They rely too much on athleticism and have no sense of organization.  Maybe instead of beating people 17-0 in the regular season they should use those games to get better.  Maybe possess the ball a bit,  work on something that will help you when the time comes to face a Hendersonville.  In all honesty they were outplayed by Soddy Daisy and didn't look great against Cookeville.  I would certainly rate the season's end as dissappointing but predictable.  Who is to blame? Thoughts?

825682539[/snapback]

Weak schedule as has already been pointed out. Not difficult to improve on it. Call KC, ND, Baylor, McCallie, Farragut, etc. They're always looking for teams that stretch their skill.

McMinn doesn't have the best talent in the state and haven't in the past. They have had about 8-9 players with a lot of talent, but not a full team of it, which hurts them. I wouldn't say the season has been dissapointing, most people thought they wouldn't even get to state, they definetly suprised me, and i have watched them for a while, which means i watched last years team which was the best team they have ever had in my opinion.

About the teams they play, they are in a pretty weak district and region, and they realize that. Soddy and Cleveland were really the only guys to compete with them, Soddy is a good team and deserved to be at state as much as mcminn. Trust me, they try to get better teams on their schedule. They hosted a tournament at McMinn this year with good teams like...Bearden(who they beat), Gallatin(beat them also), Cleveland, Knox Catholic, Walker Valley, Rossview...i kno there are more, but i forgot them, im sure somebody on here knows the teams i left out.