Best spot for Spring Fling?

ahs_cards_fan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest didyouseethatmessDANG
Tullahoma already has a soccer complex, a softball complex. track facilities, and tennis facilities.

Baseball would have to be spread out.  There is Grider, Motlow, Manchester, and Tomahawk Field.  If that isn't enough, it is also possible to have games in Lincoln County.

825683784[/snapback]

or you could have it in murfreesboro where all the facilities are in the same city .. thumb

or you could have it in murfreesboro where all the facilities are in the same city ..  thumb

825683834[/snapback]

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/prep_s...3796984,00.html

everybody go back and read article murfreesboro and lower middle tennessee thats tullahoma and winchester they both have more than enough seating to host the event plus we have had the event before with great success

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/prep_s...3796984,00.html

everybody go back and read article murfreesboro and lower middle tennessee thats tullahoma and winchester they both have more than enough seating to host the event plus we have had the event before with great success

825683841[/snapback]

Tullahoma does have something working against them in trying to get the spring fling: Money. I dont believe that Tullahoma can offer up the money that Murfreesboro is preparing to. I also feel Murfreesboro has so much more to offer as a city than Tullahoma/Coffee Co would be able to. Almost all of the facilites that the TSSAA would be using will be 5-10 minutes from each other in whatever direction

Hey why not have it out in good ol' Knoxville.  These people out here don't have much else to do in this town.  There are many great field choices like UT, Smokies Park, and even Farragut High School.  Farragut's field could easily qualify for a college field.  Attendance would be large in size because there honestly isn't much else to do around here in the spring other than go out and eat.

825680879[/snapback]

I agree. Bearden has also improved its facilities tremendously and I guess everyone is forgetting about Webb, probably the nicest HS field in the Knoxville area. Also, Helton-Ridley, or Ridley-Helton to some, could be used if more seating was brought in. It is the same playing surface used by the minor league for years only the stadium is gone.

Tullahoma does have something working against them in trying to get the spring fling: Money. I dont believe that Tullahoma can offer up the money that Murfreesboro is preparing to. I also feel Murfreesboro has so much more to offer as a city than Tullahoma/Coffee Co would be able to. Almost all of the facilites that the TSSAA would be using will be 5-10 minutes from each other in whatever direction

825683852[/snapback]

you are forgeting 3 things it's a co-host tullahoma and winchester it is about 10 minutes between girder and tomahawk 2nd we have had it here before and 3rd less cost to rent more seating space more profit grider and tomahawk can hold a combined 3500

You must have a major city to host Spring Fling. The small towns just can handle it all. Memphis did not even have enough hotel rooms last week. Nashville is the logical choice. Location, facilities, and lodging.

825683856[/snapback]

Nashville is a great location, no doubt. If a rotation is being considered, Knoxville has to be considered. If the World's Fair, with days of over 100,000 visitors, can be managed, I'm sure the Spring Fling would be no problem as far as Hotels are concerned. Memphis had problems because many people visit it for other reasons not just Spring Fling. Knoxville has visitors due to conventions and other events, but a conflict could be avoided just like it was when the PBA came to town.

I have had the good fortune to be at the last three Spring Flings in Memphis and have a few suggestions. The venue should be rotated every couple of years to different parts of the state. Local teams avoid not only the costs but the distractions of travel. No team should have a home field advantage as Briarcrest and Christian Brothers had in Division II this year. No game should be played on a practice field as AAA had at Millington Field #2 this year and AA had the past two years. Minor league and college stadiums should be used as much as possible to provide a special event feel to the tournament. High school fields should only be used if they are in excellent condition and can easily accomodate the anticipated crowds. No matter how good the facilities, the Tennessee State Champion needs to be determined in TENNESSEE!!!

825683795[/snapback]

I wish AutoZone Park could have been used, but I'm not sure the TSSAA or the Redbirds really wanted to use it for prelims, and I know they didn't like how the title games went last year.

All four HS fields used this week ARE in excellent condition -- the only problem with any of them is maybe the fence at Bartlett being a little cozy, but that's not as big a deal for A, IMO...the outfielders aren't as fast in A, and playing someplace like USA would lead to a completely ridiculous amount of triples. Even with AAA outfielders, I think the triple records were all broken.

My guess on CBHS and Briarcrest playing at home is that it was done because they were still responsible for maintaining the fields. I agree, I really don't think they should have put D-II at those two, though I do think they should have been used.

Personally, I would have only used Field 2 at USA for the first session, then played 10-12:45-4-6:45 all on the stadium field on Wednesday and Thursday. But that's just me.

You must have a major city to host Spring Fling. The small towns just can handle it all. Memphis did not even have enough hotel rooms last week. Nashville is the logical choice. Location, facilities, and lodging.

825683856[/snapback]

We didn't have enough hotel rooms? I never heard any complaints this year.

I even heard somebody went to one of the hotels right in the middle of the venues on Thursday afternoon and was able to get a room.