The debate simplified

larry

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is incorrect!  The TSSAA says recruiting is NOT ALLOWED by ANY SCHOOL!

Has nothing to do with public or private. They just will not enforce the rule. If they did many private AND public schools would be in trouble.

825696724[/snapback]

I was told by a prominent person within the TSSAA, that they have more problems with public schools recriuiting than private, particularly in Memphis. Unfortunately the publics only see one side. B):P

I was told by a prominent person within the TSSAA, that they have more problems with public schools recriuiting than private, particularly in Memphis. Unfortunately the publics only see one side.  :P  :D

825696740[/snapback]

I really don't think recruiting is a big issue in either public or private schools. The open zones in Memphis are a problem...however.

Edited by Antwan

I was told by a prominent person within the TSSAA, that they have more problems with public schools recriuiting than private, particularly in Memphis. Unfortunately the publics only see one side.  :D  :blink:

825696740[/snapback]

It may just be that my kids go to public schools, but I know of more public school parent`s breaking the rules than private parent`s. Apparently it`s not too hard here in Jackson to rent something in another zone and then use that address for your home address even though you still reside in the same house you always have. Probably don`t even have to keep renting the property. Just show you rent it and everything is ok. I don`t think that is suppose to be happening.

It may just be that my kids go to public schools, but I know of more public school parent`s breaking the rules than private parent`s. Apparently it`s not too hard here in Jackson to rent something in another zone and then use that address for your home address even though you still reside in the same house you always have. Probably don`t even have to keep renting the property. Just show you rent it and everything is ok. I don`t think that is suppose to be happening.

825700222[/snapback]

If you know of violations...turn them in.

If you know of violations...turn them in.

825700293[/snapback]

I don`t really care. I`m all for kids having choices. My belief is that if a school systems says its ok for a kid to go to school abc or school xyz, then the TSSAA should be ok with it and the kid should be allowed to play.

I just don`t think the TSSAA is setup to investigate evry questionable transfer and frankly I don`t want them to have to spend extra money to have to worry about it. I`m not sure what counties surround Smith County, but if Smith County decided to admit kids from out of the county(they might already do..I don`t know) and a kid wanted to transfer from the next county and attend Smith County, then just let them and let them play sports. I mean who really cares?

I say just leave it up to the individual school systems to mess with who should be eligible for a transfer. If Memphis wants to allow kids the opportunity to move to another school and it is ok within their system, then let`s just not worry about it. So what if some schools fare better. Those are the schools that must be doing something better. It then falls on the school system and the individual school principals to make improvemments through searching for better coaches or other avenues to rectify whatever it is that causes kids to want to transfer.

So yeah I know a couple of kids who are attending a school out of their zone and it will hurt the sports program of the school they are suppose to be at. But isn`t it really up to the school and the school system to rectify those problems? As long as the Jackson Madison county school system says it`s ok for them to be at the other school, then why on earth should the TSSAA worry about it? The school they transfered to are just merely taking the kids that the school system sends them.

I don`t really care. I`m all for kids having choices. My belief is that if a school systems says its ok for a kid to go to school abc  or school xyz, then the TSSAA should be ok with it and the kid should be allowed to play.

I just don`t think the TSSAA is setup to investigate evry questionable transfer and frankly I don`t want them to have to spend extra money to have to worry about it. I`m not sure what counties surround Smith County, but if Smith County decided to admit kids from out of the county(they might already do..I don`t know) and a kid wanted to transfer from the next county and attend Smith County, then just let them and let them play sports. I mean who really cares?

I say just leave it up to the individual school systems to mess with who should be eligible for a transfer. If Memphis wants to allow kids the opportunity to move to another school and it is ok within their system, then let`s just not worry about it. So what if some schools fare better. Those are the schools that must be doing something better. It then falls on the school system and the individual school principals to make improvemments through searching for better coaches or other avenues to rectify whatever it is that causes kids to want to transfer.

So yeah I know a couple of kids who are attending a school out of their zone and it will hurt the sports program of the school they are suppose to be at. But isn`t it really up to the school and the school system to rectify those problems? As long as the Jackson Madison county school system says it`s ok for them to be at the other school, then why on earth should the TSSAA worry about it? The school they transfered to are just merely taking the kids that the school system sends them.

825700889[/snapback]

No...we do not allow out of county kids. We used to...and some were grandfathered in...but I think all of those have graduated. You can transfer here or anywhere else if you have a bonafied change of residence. Do people abuse that rule...you bet they do. It is rare for the tssaa to do anything about it. I think the rules are too lax. Why have the rules if you are not going to enforce them in the intent they were written? I don't think the tssaa does.

Edited by Antwan

• 2 weeks later...

My problem with open zones, transfers, etc... is that the rules DO change according to the county you're in. If it's ok for the adjacent counties to accept all comers and it's not in my county and we're in the same region, then there's a competitive advantage. The county accepting all comers can 'recruit' any eligible student, while others within the same region can not.

TSSAA is the governing body for athletics, but each county school board can set their own rules for enrollment. This inequity is exactly what prevents a level playing field from occurring and then TSSAA, in it's infinite wisdom, put's 5 or 6 private schools in a region with 2 or 3 public schools with a closed zone. I'll never understand the logic behind that.