The debate simplified

larry

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a question when was mba and father ryan founded/started?

825681637[/snapback]

MBA was founded in 1867, I think. Ryan dates back to the early 20th century as well--- MBA & Ryan first palyed football against each other in 1927. Ryan, as a Catholic school was also integrated before any of the public shcools in Nashville. Also-- inresponse to another post in this series-- BGA was founded in 1888.

MBA was founded in 1867, I think. Ryan dates back to the early 20th century as well--- MBA & Ryan first palyed football against each other in 1927. Ryan, as a Catholic school was also integrated before any of the public shcools in Nashville. Also-- inresponse to another post in this series-- BGA was founded in 1888.

825684543[/snapback]

That's about what I thought. Now what about Goodpasture, Donelson Christian, Franklin Road Academy, Ezell Harding and David Lipscomb. When were they founded? I'm assuming Lipscomb has been around a little bit longer than the rest, but I'd like to see the charter dates for these high schools.

That's about what I thought.  Now what about Goodpasture, Donelson Christian, Franklin Road Academy, Ezell Harding and David Lipscomb.  When were they founded?  I'm assuming Lipscomb has been around a little bit longer than the rest, but I'd like to see the charter dates for these high schools.

825684641[/snapback]

Lipscomb the college began inthe 1880s. Don't know about the secondary or elementary schools.

That's a stupid analogy. :D  While the average GPA at a private school is probably higher than the average GPA at a rural public for the exact same reason there are more athletes, band members and cheerleaders to choose from, there is no exodus of public school kids to private schools in the rural areas for the most part.

825681151[/snapback]

I would actually bet otherwise and say that the average private school GPA is lower than that of public schools due to curriculum.

"I would actually bet otherwise and say that the average private school GPA is lower than that of public schools due to curriculum."

average being the mean (of course) of the total population, public schools would definitely be lower. at my child's private you could not hang around indefinitely with GPA's that started with zero. that is assuming that any parent would continue to foot the bill for a child with a zero point anything GPA.

i'd bet the privates are handing out few, if any, certificates of attendance.

but GPA is a poor measure for comparison between any two schools. too many factors are involved.

for what it is worth, i had a zero point in high school up until making a sports team. then i started turning in my homework and taking tests so i would have good enough grades to play.

I would actually bet otherwise and say that the average private school GPA is lower than that of public schools due to curriculum.

825686028[/snapback]

Are you saying that private school students have a lower GPA than public school students because the classes are harder? I doubt that. True, the classes may be different and more difficult but private schools have pick of the litter students whereas public schools have a wide variety of students from highly intelligent to not so bright students. At public schools several either drop out, get their GED, or receive certificates of attendance. How many private school students do that?

• 3 weeks later...

I think I can simplify the debate even further.

As a coach, I ALWAYS teach my guys (some would say that I drill it into their heads for months on end) to take on all challengers and make no excuses.

But in a system in which the playoffs are separated like this, it's tough to use the postseason as being similar to real life. In real life, you have to prepare endlessly; if you want to be the best you take on and beat the rest (that's ALL the rest, not just some). In real life, there is no separation like this. If you want your small business to be the largest of its kind, there is no separation between those who are publicly traded and those who are privately owned. There's no advantages built into the marketplace just because you're smaller than the others or set up differently.

Our job is to train and prepare the next generation to be the future leaders of America. Does this system of split postseasons REALLY help us accomplish that goal?

As a coach, I ALWAYS teach my guys (some would say that I drill it into their heads for months on end) to take on all challengers and make no excuses.

But in a system in which the playoffs are separated like this, it's tough to use the postseason as being similar to real life.  In real life, you have to prepare endlessly; if you want to be the best you take on and beat the rest (that's ALL the rest, not just some).  In real life, there is no separation like this.  If you want your small business to be the largest of its kind, there is no separation between those who are publicly traded and those who are privately owned.  There's no advantages built into the marketplace just because you're smaller than the others or set up differently.

Our job is to train and prepare the next generation to be the future leaders of America.  Does this system of split postseasons REALLY help us accomplish that goal?

825693699[/snapback]

Excellent post Ohio Vol, however we live in an entitlement era. Everyone is entitled to something without having to earn it. A percentage of many government contracts have to be rewarded to certain groups regardless of ability or experience to provide the service. This is one of the problems we are now facing in the Tenncare program. A percentage of the intermediary contracts had to be rewarded to minority companies who did not have the expertise to provide the service.

But in a system in which the playoffs are separated like this, it's tough to use the postseason as being similar to real life.  In real life, you have to prepare endlessly; if you want to be the best you take on and beat the rest (that's ALL the rest, not just some).  In real life, there is no separation like this.  If you want your small business to be the largest of its kind, there is no separation between those who are publicly traded and those who are privately owned.  There's no advantages built into the marketplace just because you're smaller than the others or set up differently.

Our job is to train and prepare the next generation to be the future leaders of America.  Does this system of split postseasons REALLY help us accomplish that goal?

825693699[/snapback]

I think that was a very good post as well. TSSAA has standards. Just like the government has standards over the companies. The only difference is TSSAA says you can't recruit and play with those who doesn't.