Dropping the Ball

westtennsports

If you work, like most of us, and do not have a close tie to someone in the state tournaments you probably are not in Memphis today at the tournament. In football or basketball, you could log on to the TSSAA's website to check the play-by-play, refreshed every 30 seconds.

Baseball (like all other spring sports) are left hanging in this aspect. If your team's radio station isn't at the game (and if you don't have radio access at work - webcasting as well), you have to rely on CoachT posters for the information. Thanks to all of these people, but boo to the TSSAA for saying that the Spring Fling is worthy enough to charge state tournament-like prices to get in, but not to provide the same amenities as the state's other sports.

Edited by westtennsports

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you work, like most of us, and do not have a close tie to someone in the state tournaments you probably are not in Memphis today at the tournament.  In football or basketball, you could log on to the TSSAA's website to check the play-by-play, refreshed every 30 seconds. 

Baseball (like all other spring sports) are left hanging in this aspect.  If your team's radio station isn't at the game (and if you don't have radio access at work - webcasting as well), you have to rely on CoachT posters for the information.  Thanks to all of these people, but boo to the TSSAA for saying that the Spring Fling is worthy enough to charge state tournament-like prices to get in, but not to provide the same amenities as the state's other sports.

825681882[/snapback]

I agree, The TSSAA is crap. How can they not have updates on there web site this is crazy to have to sit here and basically depend on somenone who you don't even know to update you. Thanks to those people who are doing so.

If you work, like most of us, and do not have a close tie to someone in the state tournaments you probably are not in Memphis today at the tournament.  In football or basketball, you could log on to the TSSAA's website to check the play-by-play, refreshed every 30 seconds. 

Baseball (like all other spring sports) are left hanging in this aspect.  If your team's radio station isn't at the game (and if you don't have radio access at work - webcasting as well), you have to rely on CoachT posters for the information.  Thanks to all of these people, but boo to the TSSAA for saying that the Spring Fling is worthy enough to charge state tournament-like prices to get in, but not to provide the same amenities as the state's other sports.

825681882[/snapback]

It's hard to set up livestats. I tried to set it up for the site I'm doing baseball at, but it won't work for two reasons -- first, there's something wrong with the software, and second, there's no internet connection at the field.

Basketball and football are on a university campus with plenty of internet bandwidth, and iamoz himself wrote a couple of nifty programs to read the stat files and post live stats in game.

Don't forget the Basketball and Football are televised also. It would be great if the Semi-finals on were televised. I know it would be too much to ask to do all classes but at least you could have updates on other games while you were watching the game being covered. And all classes championship games could be covered.

Tennessee has great high school baseball and it is a shame that it isn't more publicized!

Don't forget the Basketball and Football are televised also.  It would be great if the Semi-finals on were televised.  I know it would be too much to ask to do all classes but at least you could have updates on other games while you were watching the game being covered.  And all classes championship games could be covered.

825682185[/snapback]

If it would get ratings, I promise TV would find a way to get it done.

It is much harder to cover the Spring Fling than football or basketball for a very obvious reason- there is one game being played at a time at one venue.

If the Fling is in Middle Tennessee next year then we are going to try to set up a live scoreboard broadcast at baseball one day, softball the next, etc. and report on every sport. I will have to have someone working with me who can take care of things until I can get there each day. I still teach high school and this is our last week. No way I can be gone during the day.

It is much harder to cover the Spring Fling than football or basketball for a very obvious reason- there is one game being played at a time at one venue.

If the Fling is in Middle Tennessee next year then we are going to try to set up a live scoreboard broadcast at baseball one day, softball the next, etc. and report on every sport. I will have to have someone working with me who can take care of things until I can get there each day. I still teach high school and this is our last week. No way I can be gone during the day.

825682200[/snapback]

WellI live and work in Memphis, and it is still hard to know what is going on because they play everything at 10 am or noon. Its not like the fields that are hosting the games don't have lights. Play the games at 5 and 7 not 10 and 12, they would get a lot better crowds. The Memphis area would support the tournament a lot better if they didn't have to use vacation time to go to games.

y one when there are three games at each site, but like today at U of M, the first game started at 12, the second 45 minutes after the first ended then that site was done for the day. It's not like they gave them time to rest, so why not play those games at 5 and 7, they are not gonna let them rest regardless. But I agree with you that they do have to play some early.

y one when there are three games at each site, but like today at U of M, the first game started at 12, the second 45 minutes after the first ended then that site was done for the day.  It's not like they gave them time to rest, so why not play those games at 5 and 7, they are not gonna let them rest regardless.  But I agree with you that they do have to play some early.

825682267[/snapback]

I'd have a lot less of a sunburn if we played at 5 and 7:45, that's for sure...

It's hard to set up livestats.  I tried to set it up for the site I'm doing baseball at, but it won't work for two reasons -- first, there's something wrong with the software, and second, there's no internet connection at the field.

Basketball and football are on a university campus with plenty of internet bandwidth, and iamoz himself wrote a couple of nifty programs to read the stat files and post live stats in game.

825682147[/snapback]

A valid point, for sure. But, I get on this morning to check the scores and look at the box scores that the TSSAA website makes room for and find very little. Class A has four of the ten games posted, class AA has none, and class AAA has all of them. I understand the problems with webcasting, but can they at least not have a couple of people from TSSAA there specifically to update these box scores? If for no other reason than for the players' sake. Make the trip to the spring fling as special as you can.