Farragut-Brentwood

MD4Sports

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, a side ref called the foul right before the (non)goal went in. The call was made back before the ball crossed the center line into Brentwood territory. The center ref, following the action down field had to come back to confer. This sort of thing happens all the time. Nothing controversial at all. Farragutt just continued to play even though a foul had been called and Brentwood held up.

Edited by bhs007

Actually, a side ref called the foul LONG before the (non)goal went in. The call was made back before the ball even crossed the center line into Brentwood territory. The center ref, following the action down field had to come back to confer. This sort of thing happens all the time. Nothing controversial at all. Farragutt just continued to play even though a foul had been called and Brentwood held up.

825682382[/snapback]

What I don't understand about the foul (and it was a foul and should have been called but called immediately) is why the linesman called it when the center was right there. I think the problem was that there was so much time after the incident, and the center was only a few yards away. I think it was his call to make, and he didn't call it (he let a lot of things go that should have been called for both sides).

I'm not trying to argue with BHS, or their win. I just think the refs handled it poorly. What I saw was an excellent game. Best of luck to BHS.

What I don't understand about the foul (and it was a foul and should have been called but called immediately) is why the linesman called it when the center was right there.  I think the problem was that there was so much time after the incident, and the center was only a few yards away.  I think it was his call to make, and he didn't call it (he let a lot of things go that should have been called for both sides). 

I'm not trying to argue with BHS, or their win.  I just think the refs handled it poorly.  What I saw was an excellent game.  Best of luck to BHS.

825682450[/snapback]

I'm affraid my post was a little mis-leading by saying the foul was called long before the goal went in. At most, :20 - :30 went by. If the center ref was there he missed it. The foul was called immediately in an area close to the line so I think the linesman was justified in calling it. We know that center refs don't always see fouls called by the lines until they are reminded to look. From the point of the foul, the ball moved pretty quickly down to the box. Maybe Farragut had a little advantage due to the foul, I don't know.

Farragut is a great team. By far the best (next to Brentwood) I've seen so far this year. Hendersonville comes close.

I edited my previous post to be more accurate, it was midnight when I originally posted.

Edited by bhs007

I'm affraid my post was a little mis-leading by saying the foul was called long before the goal went in. At most, :20 - :30 went by. If the center ref was there he missed it. The foul was called immediately in an area close to the line so I think the linesman was justified in calling it. We know that center refs don't always see fouls called by the lines until they are reminded to look. From the point of the foul, the ball moved pretty quickly down to the box. Maybe Farragut had a little advantage due to the foul,  I don't know.

Farragut is a great team. By far the best (next to Brentwood) I've seen so far this year. Hendersonville comes close.

I edited my previous post to be more accurate, it was midnight when I originally posted.

825682460[/snapback]

It's amazing how many different times I have heard and all of the people were there!!! I would say 30 seconds was about right, although my assistant says about 1:00.

The Knoxville paper says that Farragut could appeal, but what would that do? The semi's will be played before the TSSAA would even have a chance to review it. And even if they did appeal, and they won the appeal, what would you do? You can't replay the game, or call it a tie... It's just a tough situation.

It's amazing how many different times I have heard and all of the people were there!!!  I would say 30 seconds was about right, although my assistant says about 1:00. 

The Knoxville paper says that Farragut could appeal, but what would that do?  The semi's will be played before the TSSAA would even have a chance to review it.  And even if they did appeal, and they won the appeal, what would you do?  You can't replay the game, or call it a tie...  It's just a tough situation.

825682468[/snapback]

I'll go with that, I thought it was about :45 but everyone else I know, who was there, says no more than :20 to :30. But, in the end, it really doesn't matter how long it was, except to the line judge, who had to hold his flag up. I wouldn't want to hold my arm up in the air for 3 minutes!

Edited by bhs007

It's amazing how many different times I have heard and all of the people were there!!!  I would say 30 seconds was about right, although my assistant says about 1:00. 

The Knoxville paper says that Farragut could appeal, but what would that do?  The semi's will be played before the TSSAA would even have a chance to review it.  And even if they did appeal, and they won the appeal, what would you do?  You can't replay the game, or call it a tie...  It's just a tough situation.

825682468[/snapback]

I saw the "appeal" business in today's paper, too. If TSSAA's staff really wants to open that can of worms, they are absolutely crazy! I didn't see the match but, for purposes of this post, let's assume the decision of the center was absolutely wrong. Tough. It happens all the time--especially in high school matches. Every high school coach knows this risk.

There is no procedure in place to quickly reverse the center's mis-judgment (instant replay?), the issue can't even be addressed until Farragut will be back in Knoxville and there is absolutely no way to solve the problem except to replay the entire match (which would be absurd and will never happen). TSSAA shouldn't offer an empty appeal avenue when there is no remedy available.

Mind you, I am a big Farragut fan (except when they play Catholic) and would have loved for my friends to win over Brentwood. Nevertheless, a very good Brentwood team won and that's it. This is not the first game with flawed officiating that either the Admirals or Brentwood experienced this year. It is just part of the game and, like it or not, you have to live with it.

What I don't understand about the foul (and it was a foul and should have been called but called immediately) is why the linesman called it when the center was right there.  I think the problem was that there was so much time after the incident, and the center was only a few yards away.  I think it was his call to make, and he didn't call it (he let a lot of things go that should have been called for both sides). 

I'm not trying to argue with BHS, or their win.  I just think the refs handled it poorly.  What I saw was an excellent game.  Best of luck to BHS.

825682450[/snapback]

i've heard that the english premier league line refs have sensors or something in their flags that when they are raised set off buzzers in the wrist bands of the center ref to alert him of a foul or offsides-i wonder how much those would cost-at least for the high stake state tournaments

There is no procedure in place to quickly reverse the center's mis-judgment (instant replay?),

825682480[/snapback]

If you could show a ref your game film and get them to change there mind about plays it would seriously affect the flow of soccer. If the ref was having a very bad game they would have to stop every few minutes to review the film. Decide for your selves but I think it would just be a bunch of trouble...

i've heard that the english premier league line refs have sensors or something in their flags that when they are raised set off buzzers in the wrist bands of the center ref to alert him of a foul or offsides-i wonder how much those would cost-at least for the high stake state tournaments

825682658[/snapback]

That's a really good idea, but I imagine it would be expensive. But if you could have a few sets to share between different tournaments for the big games and between the girls and the guys leagues. But even if they did have them they would have to have a lot to be able to use them for quarterfinals (admittedly it was between two big important schools..)