Soddy bites the dust

dmurphy3

dmurp- I didnt say anything about Soddy-Daisy, I was talking to you. You are the only person you control and you don't know how to win with class. (at least last night you didn't)

My thoughts-

1. Soddy should have been on the field during the awards ceremony regardless of who they lost to. Most of them were halfway to their cars already. Kirk did come and get the runnersup coaches trophy and Styles was the only girl to come out and get the runners up team trophy.

2. No post season meeting with the team? Every losing coach has taken their team to the outfield and had a meeting with them. Everyone just scattered.

3. I can understand not wanting a second place trophy but this championships speaks highly of their district. No one wants to be happy for the other team to win BUT if anyone is going to win wouldn't you want it to be the other team from your district. (even if you love to beat them) GPS showed alot of class on their field as the second place team losing to their arch rival.

4. The airhorns were obnoxious. They blew them on every base hit. Everyone in Southhaven wanted to see SD fall just so the air horns would go away.

I think people need to take a step back from the game and appreciate the athletes and their accomplishments, regardless of who they are. Both teams had a great season. Soddy should be upset and I can't blame them for not wanting a second place trophy. Nobody wants a second place trophy, especially if you are one of the best teams in the state. Lets move on.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mtnman, Amen!!! Well spoken. I don't know what has happened down in Soddy land over the past few years, but the behavior of the players, fans, and coaching staff is a little distrubing. Everyone wants to win, but as you said; Win with class; lose with class. I have NEVER seen teams like GPS, Baylor, Ryan, Beech, Goodpasture, etc. behave the way Soddy has. This use to not be the case. We have played Soddy for many years, and it was always a honor to play them. The mutual respect for the players, coaches, and fans made it a pleasure. It's getting to the point that no matter who is playing Soddy, everyone wants the other team to beat them. I address this to Clifford: I admire your ability as a coach, and the talent you have. I believe your players, fans, and the coaching staff may be your own worst enemy. The talent you have ( on paper ) should have won it this year. I'm truly happy that Red Bank beat you, they were the Cinderella team this year. Great job Red Bank!!!

dmurp- I didnt say anything about Soddy-Daisy, I was talking to you.  You are the only person you control and you don't know how to win with class. (at least last night you didn't)

My thoughts-

1.  Soddy should have been on the field during the awards ceremony regardless of who they lost to.  Most of them were halfway to their cars already.  Kirk did come and get the runnersup coaches trophy and Styles was the only girl to come out and get the runners up team trophy. 

2.  No post season meeting with the team?  Every losing coach has taken their team to the outfield and had a meeting with them.  Everyone just scattered. 

3.  I can understand not wanting a second place trophy but this championships speaks highly of their district.  No one wants to be happy for the other team to win BUT if anyone is going to win wouldn't you want it to be the other team from your district. (even if you love to beat them)  GPS showed alot of class on their field as the second place team losing to their arch rival. 

4. The airhorns were obnoxious.  They blew them on every base hit.  Everyone in Southhaven wanted to see SD fall just so the air horns would go away. 

I think people need to take a step back from the game and appreciate the athletes and their accomplishments, regardless of who they are.  Both teams had a great season.  Soddy should be upset and I can't blame them for not wanting a second place trophy.  Nobody wants a second place trophy, especially if you are one of the best teams in the state.  Lets move on.

825683631[/snapback]

First of all, I don't play for Red Bank, and secondly RB didn't do anything to say they didn't have class, it just gets old hearing about SD, and yeah, they are a good team, but regardless of winning or losing, your team should come except its trophy in respect to the other team. Also, Kirk or who ever said they would rather place third, then coming in second place to red bank is a put down to RB. And SD thought they had it in the bag, they were quoted saying they wanted RB in the championship cause it would be easy. I also heard that kirk told the umpire before the game, that they needed to go ahead and schedule the push game for that night to get it over with. Hopefully, kirk along with all other SD players and fan will think differently about RB from now on. Finally, I do have class, I just got a little excited in the heat of the moment, and said what I had been dying to say, but had never got the chance because I wasn't born the last time RB won state, and it made it sweeter since it was SD that they beat to win.

To the Lady Lions: You lose some key players next year so there is no telling how the season will treat you, but go out there, try your best, and remember that anything is possible cause you did that this year, and its getting you a 2005 state championship ring!!

As a parent from SD, I agree that the girls should have gone on the field when RB received their trophy. But you need to know that they didn't mean anything against Red Bank, they were just upset about their after game meeting that was brief and to the point.

Some of the girls went on the field and congratulated the RB girls after the trophies were already handed out. Most of these girls have played summer ball together and are friends. I heard a lot of them say they were happy for Red Bank to win if they couldn't be the winners. At least the trophy stayed in Chattanooga.

I also agree that the air horns were a little obnoxious, but they were purchased for the second Beech game because the girls wanted their fans to help keep them pumped up. They asked the same for the Red Bank game. I don't think the air horns are any more obnoxious than bottles with rocks in them and certainly not as obnoxious as fans yelling hurtful remarks to the other teams players. (This did not happen at the RB or Beech game, I have just seen it a lot this year).

Congratulations to Red Bank and all of the other winners, and to the teams that made it to the state finals but didn't win it all. They should be proud of their accompishment. Not many teams are able to make it to state at all. thumb

If that's true, not going to get the runner-up trophy because the other probably can't be proven, then that is pretty sorry. There is still talk about Brentwood Academy's coach not accepting the runner up in football one season and that was 13 years ago.

825683550[/snapback]

Indian, I'm from Brentwood, and I am also still disturbed by the fact the Brentwood Academy team did not accept the 2nd place trophy in football at the ceremony...although they did accept it later, it was a clear case of the coach thinking he was better than the game. To this date, I still have no respect for him, although he is the winningest coach in history. Coach Kirk had my same respect even before this tournament. I have seen his teams intentionally hit batters, seen him chew out ballplayers in view of everyone....as far as I'm concerned, he is another one that thinks he is better than the game. I think the reason Soddy has failed to win the last few years, even tho they have had arguably the best talent, is because they are playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. He coaches by intimidation, and i'm afraid its not working.

Indian, I'm from Brentwood, and I am also still disturbed by the fact the Brentwood Academy team did not accept the 2nd place trophy in football at the ceremony...although they did accept it later, it was a clear case of the coach thinking he was better than the game. To this date, I still have no respect for him, although he is the winningest coach in history. Coach Kirk had my same respect even before this tournament. I have seen his teams intentionally hit batters, seen him chew out ballplayers in view of everyone....as far as I'm concerned, he is another one that thinks he is better than the game. I think the reason Soddy has failed to win the last few years, even tho they have had arguably the best talent, is because they are playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. He coaches by intimidation, and i'm afraid its not working.

825684286[/snapback]

Congrat's to Red Bank!! Next year, Soddy Daisy loses NOBODY, so just wait and see what happens!!!

Congrat's to Red Bank!! Next year, Soddy Daisy loses NOBODY, so just wait and see what happens!!!

825684299[/snapback]

If I'm not mistaken, they have 2 seniors. Even though they aren't star players, it's pretty low to call them "nobodies."

its b/c he has no life so he gets on a website(behind a hidden identity) and bashes a team JUST b/c he doesnt like them.....he has no clearcut reason to get on here and bash them......on another thread, he was saying how we are just lowlife rednecks and other things so in a way he is just a racist.......he gets on here and bashes young ladies for not winning state and coming in second.......yea hes cool isnt he?(sarcasim by the way)