ARE THE FANS AWARE OF HOW THEY ACT?

CUBCADET

I JUST GOT HOME FROM MEMPHIS AND JUST WANTED THE COACH T FAITHFUL TO KNOW THAT I WAS APPALLED AT THE BEHAVIOR AND CONDUCT OF THE FANS AND SOME OF THE PLAYERS AT THE STATE TOURN..I ATTENDED A LOT OF GAMES AT ALL LEVELS AND WAS AMAZED AT HOW SOME PEOPLE ACTED IN PUBLIC..FROM HOLLERING AT UMPS ABOUT EVERY SINGLE PITCH OR CALL TO CALLING THE OTHER TEAMS FANS NAMES AND MAKING STUPID THREATS ACROSS THE INFIELD.. I WISH THESE PEOPLE COULD HAVE SEEN WHAT THEY ACTED LIKE..I KNOW THEY WOULD BE ASHAMED OR AT LEAST I HOPE THEY WOULD...THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR WENT ON IN JUST ABOUT EVERY CLASS .. THEN TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE, AFTER A AAA GAME AT MILLINGTON, PLAYERS AND FANS FROM THREE OF THE TEAMS GOT INTO A FIGHT ON A CITY STREET..NOT JUST BOYS BEING BOYS, BUT A REAL BRAWL...WHEN AN ADULT WHO TRIED TO STOP THE FIGHTING TOLD ONE OF THE HOUSTON PLAYERS TO GET IN HIS VEHICLE AND LEAVE, HE WAS TOLD BY THE PLAYER TO SHUT UP IN A MATTER OF SPEAKING. THEN OBSCENE GESTURES WERE MADE BY MOST OF ALL THESE KIDS INVOLVED AS THEY DROVE AWAY. I GUESS THE KIDS LEARNED ALL OF THIS CLASSLESS BEHAVIOR FROM THE FANS THAT THEY LISTEN TO NIGHT AFTER NIGHT...IT IS TOTALLY SAD THAT HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS COME TO THIS IN OUR AREA...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I JUST GOT HOME FROM MEMPHIS AND JUST WANTED THE COACH T FAITHFUL TO KNOW THAT I WAS APPALLED AT THE BEHAVIOR AND CONDUCT OF THE FANS AND SOME OF THE PLAYERS AT THE STATE TOURN..I ATTENDED A LOT OF GAMES AT ALL LEVELS AND WAS AMAZED AT HOW SOME PEOPLE ACTED IN PUBLIC..FROM HOLLERING AT UMPS ABOUT EVERY SINGLE PITCH OR CALL TO CALLING THE OTHER TEAMS FANS NAMES AND MAKING STUPID THREATS  ACROSS THE INFIELD.. I WISH THESE PEOPLE COULD HAVE SEEN WHAT THEY ACTED LIKE..I KNOW THEY WOULD BE ASHAMED  OR AT LEAST I HOPE THEY WOULD...THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR WENT ON IN JUST ABOUT EVERY CLASS .. THEN TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE, AFTER A AAA GAME AT MILLINGTON, PLAYERS AND FANS FROM THREE OF THE TEAMS GOT INTO A FIGHT ON A CITY STREET..NOT JUST BOYS BEING BOYS, BUT A REAL BRAWL...WHEN AN ADULT WHO TRIED TO STOP THE FIGHTING TOLD ONE OF THE HOUSTON PLAYERS TO GET IN HIS VEHICLE AND LEAVE, HE WAS TOLD BY THE PLAYER TO SHUT UP IN A MATTER OF SPEAKING. THEN OBSCENE GESTURES WERE MADE BY MOST OF ALL THESE KIDS INVOLVED AS THEY DROVE AWAY.  I GUESS THE KIDS LEARNED ALL OF THIS CLASSLESS BEHAVIOR FROM THE FANS THAT THEY LISTEN TO NIGHT AFTER NIGHT...IT IS TOTALLY SAD THAT HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS COME TO THIS IN OUR AREA...

825683949[/snapback]

This really shouldn't surprise anybody. Sad? Yes! Anyone interested can go to any Rec. League park on any given weekend and see the training camp for this type of behavior as the kids get older.

This really shouldn't surprise anybody.  Sad? Yes!  Anyone interested can go to any Rec. League park on any given weekend and see the training camp for this type of behavior as the kids get older.

825684260[/snapback]

YOU ARE RIGHT...THE KIDS LEARN AT AN EARLY AGE THAT WHATEVER HAPPENS IS NEVER THIER FAULT ..SOME PARENTS ACT LIKE THEIR LITTLE ONES HAVE NEVER MADE A MISTAKE OR DONE ANYTHING WRONG..BUT WHEN THEY DO SCREW UP, IT IS ALWAYS SOMEBODY ELSE THAT IS RESPONSIBLE..I AHTE TO BE THE ONE WHO BREAKS IT TO THESE KIDS BUT IT IS TIME TO WAKE UP AND GROW UP AND START ACTING LIKE CIVILIZED HUMAN BEINGS..THE COLD CREUL WORLD IS GOING TO BITE THEM ON THE BUT SOONER OR LATER AND THERE MAY BE NOONE AROUND TO BLAME BUT THEMSELVES..I DONT THINK THEY WILL KNOW HOW TO HANDLE IT...THE PARENTS I SAW THIS WEEKEND SET A POOR EXAMPLE FOR THE YOUNG MEN TO FOLLOW...LIKE I SAID BEFORE, THEY WOULD BE ASHAMED IF THEY COULD HAVE SEEN THEMSELVES OR WOULD THEY ?????? AFTER ALL , THEY MAY HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING WRONG THEMSELVES..

YOU ARE RIGHT...THE KIDS LEARN AT AN EARLY AGE THAT WHATEVER HAPPENS IS NEVER THIER FAULT ..SOME PARENTS ACT LIKE THEIR LITTLE ONES HAVE NEVER MADE A MISTAKE OR DONE ANYTHING WRONG..BUT WHEN THEY DO SCREW UP, IT IS ALWAYS SOMEBODY ELSE THAT IS RESPONSIBLE..I AHTE TO BE THE ONE WHO BREAKS IT TO THESE KIDS BUT IT IS TIME TO WAKE UP AND GROW UP AND START ACTING LIKE CIVILIZED HUMAN BEINGS..THE COLD CREUL WORLD IS GOING TO BITE THEM ON THE BUT SOONER OR LATER AND THERE MAY BE NOONE AROUND TO BLAME BUT THEMSELVES..I DONT THINK THEY WILL KNOW HOW TO HANDLE IT...THE PARENTS I SAW THIS WEEKEND SET A POOR EXAMPLE FOR THE YOUNG MEN TO FOLLOW...LIKE I SAID BEFORE, THEY WOULD BE ASHAMED IF THEY COULD HAVE SEEN THEMSELVES OR WOULD THEY ?????? AFTER ALL , THEY MAY HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING WRONG THEMSELVES..

825684275[/snapback]

So true. Good post. I've always wondered how parents and coaches would act, not that I would even consider doing it, if an umpire pointed out every mistake they made. I can see it now. "Come on dad, you should have made him faster. You've gotta do better than that" or "Come on coach, why did you send him? He was never gonna beat that throw. That's pathetic." Like I said, I would never consider this, but I think it would help a lot of folks to put the shoe on the other foot and consider how it would be if their "mistakes" were pointed out. It is simple, in my opinion, fans should cheer, coaches should coach, players should play, and officials should officiate. All involved make mistakes, and they should never throw rocks if they live in a glass house.

Not sure you realize it, but thats how baseball is. Its a sport based on judgements, and the people making the judgements are going to be criticised for their judgements. Part of the fun of baseball, as a fan, is heckling opposing players and opposing fans. If you go to small time college teams, see Maryville College, the fans care about their team and they will do some crazy things. MC has a tradition of a fan streaking across the outfield in his boxers. They are also experts at heckling, last year they used an RV and sat ontop where they heckled from. Its all in good fun, and it adds to the sport. If, as a player, you can't play through that, then you need to get out of the sport.

Not sure you realize it, but thats how baseball is.  Its a sport based on judgements, and the people making the judgements are going to be criticised for their judgements.  Part of the fun of baseball, as a fan, is heckling opposing players and opposing fans.  If you go to small time college teams, see Maryville College, the fans care about their team and they will do some crazy things.  MC has a tradition of a fan streaking across the outfield in his boxers.  They are also experts at heckling, last year they used an RV and sat ontop where they heckled from.  Its all in good fun, and it adds to the sport.  If, as a player, you can't play through that, then you need to get out of the sport.

825684288[/snapback]

Oh, I realize it. I've been umpiring for years at levels from college ball down to coach pitch. We're not talking about good clean fun here. I've been behind the plate at Maryville College and realize that they have several traditions. Traditions and heckling are not the issue. I'm simply talking about outright rude behavior, threats, name calling, and old-fashioned sissy fits not just from fans but coaches too. The kids feed on this. If you have parents and coaches that act like idiots, the players will too. If coaches and parents contest every close pitch or play, players will too. This does nothing but take the fun out of the game for everyone involved. The better youth academies, several in Knoxville that I don't need to name, teach sportsmanship. They focus on fundamentals. Their coaches, players, and fans believe in this system. The system works because the trophies prove it. Yelling, screaming, and name calling will not reverse a call. It is simply a way to divert blame for a bad situation to someone else. Every umpire misses calls, if you're behind the plate, you miss them every game. The major league camps teach that if you miss 10 or fewer, you are excellent. "Come on blue" is not a problem. "Come on blue, you're an idiot" is. An umpire is expected to be perfect the first day on the job and get better every day after that. What other job expects that?

Oh, I realize it.  I've been umpiring for years at levels from college ball down to coach pitch.  We're not talking about good clean fun here.  I've been behind the plate at Maryville College and realize that they have several traditions.  Traditions and heckling are not the issue.  I'm simply talking about outright rude behavior, threats, name calling, and old-fashioned sissy fits not just from fans but coaches too.  The kids feed on this.  If you have parents and coaches that act like idiots, the players will too.  If coaches and parents contest every close pitch or play, players will too.  This does nothing but take the fun out of the game for everyone involved.  The better youth academies, several in Knoxville that I don't need to name, teach sportsmanship.  They focus on fundamentals.  Their coaches, players, and fans believe in this system.  The system works because the trophies prove it.  Yelling, screaming, and name calling will not reverse a call.  It is simply a way to divert blame for a bad situation to someone else.  Every umpire misses calls, if you're behind the plate, you miss them every game.  The major league camps teach that if you miss 10 or fewer, you are excellent.  "Come on blue" is not a problem.  "Come on blue, you're an idiot" is.  An umpire is expected to be perfect the first day on the job and get better every day after that.  What other job expects that?

825684292[/snapback]

that is my point exactly...the fans have gone from good clean heckling to rude, offensive and alot of times very vulgar remarks . they sit and complain about every call and most of the time they have not got a clue as to what they are talking about...just because you pay a buck or two to get in a game DOES NOT give you the right to act like a jerk...the game should be decided by the players and not be influenced in the least bit by a stand full of obnoxious people..but you would be surprised at what can be heard from the stands. let these young men and women enjoy their school ball days..i wonder how many of these kids would be proud to point up in the stands at someone who just made a obnoxious remark, and say, "THATS MY PARENT"..probably not many..how about one of your kids...would they????????

It seems as though the "bad" fans out number the "good" fans, or maybe they are just more vocal? I will say that the number of good umpires throughout the season outnumbered the bad ones. However, the only complaint that I have about the umpires, especially when it comes to the region, substate, and state is that some of them read too many sports articles in the paper or posts on CoachT and let it affect their perception of the game.

Most umpires are objective, but it is annoying to see a few make the majority of the "close calls" for the teams with the higher record, the players with the big name, or programs with the well-known tradition or more intimidating coaches.

It seems as though the "bad" fans out number the "good" fans, or maybe they are just more vocal?  I will say that the number of good umpires throughout the season outnumbered the bad ones.  However, the only complaint that I have about the umpires, especially when it comes to the region, substate, and state is that some of them read too many sports articles in the paper or posts on CoachT and let it affect their perception of the game.

Most umpires are objective, but it is annoying to see a few make the majority of the "close calls" for the teams with the higher record, the players with the big name, or programs with the well-known tradition or more intimidating coaches.

825684528[/snapback]

I think what you people dont understand is that tssaa sets the assignments for the umpires at the district level and above...the coaches have a voice in the umpires that call at district and above if I am not mistaken..tssaa assigns the ump crews for the region and up so the umps have not worked the teams before..unless both teams are serviced by the same association, then the ump crews can work a regional game, but that is the only exception as far as I know..also no umpires that I know personally would purposely call a game one way or another just to reward a team or player whether he had seen it mentioned in the paper or the T..that is ridiculous..an ump doesnt have time to look at a play and say "that is not the good guys, I had better call this against them" some umps are just plain old bad and cant help it.

I think what you people dont understand is that tssaa sets the assignments for the umpires at the district level and above...the coaches have a voice in the umpires that call at district and above if I am not mistaken..tssaa assigns the ump crews for the region and up so the umps have not worked the teams before..unless both teams are serviced by the same association, then the ump crews can work a regional game, but that is the only exception as far as I know..also no umpires that I know personally would purposely call a game one way or another just to reward a team or player whether he had seen it mentioned in the paper or the T..that is ridiculous..an ump doesnt have time to look at a play and say "that is not the good guys, I had better call this against them" some umps are just plain old bad and cant help it.

825684644[/snapback]

True, some are naturally better than others. Knowing rules and mechanics are one thing, good judgement is another thing altogether. Many of us catch grief in district and regional play by the very coaches that rate us very highly to be there. Umpires normally umpire for the love of the game. Trust me, it's not the money. By the time you equip yourself with gear and clothing required along with state and local dues, not to mention travel expenses, the pay is minimal at best. I honestly have never heard of an umpire "helping" one team or the other, although I'm sure it's probably happened. We simply could care less who wins or loses. That's not the business we're in.

True, some are naturally better than others.  Knowing rules and mechanics are one thing, good judgement is another thing altogether.

825684651[/snapback]

Speaking of mechanics, I wish some umps would realize how difficult they make the jobs of people in the press box in a situation like the state tournament -- not signaling subs in many cases, and there was one ump who had about a three-second delay before he'd physically signal a strike. Most umps are good about it, but the plate ump for the AA title game still hasn't signaled a couple of strikes... :D:D

Speaking of mechanics, I wish some umps would realize how difficult they make the jobs of people in the press box in a situation like the state tournament -- not signaling subs in many cases, and there was one ump who had about a three-second delay before he'd physically signal a strike.  Most umps are good about it, but the plate ump for the AA title game still hasn't signaled a couple of strikes...  :D  :D

825684733[/snapback]

I guess you dont need good timing in the pressbox but on the field it is crucial..we are taught to first see the pitch, call it , and then signal..if you see an umpire jerking his right hand in the air before the pitch hits the mitt, then he stands a very very good chance of calling a few ba-ikes or ste-alls. Then you and the fans would be all over him for being too quick..too quick is as bad as too slow...I know the plate umpire you are refering too and I happen to appreciate his timing..he does an excellent job both in the field and behind the dish...Maybe you could ask Mr. Dale Ford.(25+ years in the majors) what he thinks of this particular guy...He was very pleased with his work...maybe getting out of the pressbox and behind the dish would change your whole perspective of umpiring if you tried it.You would an even better seat for the game if you do..