Club vs High School

reaction

Well the soccer boards are dying down..i haven't seen this topic started in a while so i thought i would start it...what would u rather do, or which do u think is more important. Winning a state title in high school or with ur select team? Competition is totally different for both tournaments, but a lot of people usually would rather win it for there school for the fact of getting a ring, which i would of liked better also :rolleyes:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would have to say winning the state title..school..just for the simple fact that its the best brag rights and b/c you just seem to want it more...club is amazing though..it deffinately has the better players..but then on one hand i would want to win state more in club..just for the simple fact that you know you beat out better players..even though you might win state in school and those players are good..club takes out all the bad players on any team..unless its just a bad club team..lol..thats my opinion..

not to be condescending, but i'm a little surprised that this is posited as a serious question. high school soccer is a lot of fun and winning state would pro'ly be great (i've never done better than second, so i wouldn't know for sure, i guess) but it's really just offseason for real (club) soccer. the two are almost entirely different games both in terms of individual skill and tactical sophistication and club, being the far more advanced of the two in both categories is more intense, rewarding and worthwhile.

not to be condescending, but i'm a little surprised that this is posited as a serious question. high school soccer is a lot of fun and winning state would pro'ly be great (i've never done better than second, so i wouldn't know for sure, i guess) but it's really just offseason for real (club) soccer. the two are almost entirely different games both in terms of individual skill and tactical sophistication and club, being the far more advanced of the two in both categories is more intense, rewarding and worthwhile.

825687028[/snapback]

I concur. I haven't played very long and i've only played one year of club but i had so much more fun in club than i did with the high school. I'm very competitive in everything i do so i want to be challenged and club offers bigger challenges as far as talent goes than high school soccer. just my opinion.

Although I am not a huge club team fan, all of the college coaches I have talked to have said that Club is a MUST. This is where you will get the most exposure. While I dissagree that High School soccer is the "off season for club", I do think that unless you get a lot of media coverage with your high school team, most college coaches wait until there is a club tournament so they can see more players at once.

I do think that too many "die hard" club teams have done more to harm the sport than to help. So many of guys I have known have been burnt out early because of too many tourneys or too many year round practices. Don't ever lose the love for the game.

Although I am not a huge club team fan, all of the college coaches I have talked to have said that Club is a MUST.  This is where you will get the most exposure.  While I dissagree that High School soccer is the "off season for club", I do think that unless you get a lot of media coverage with your high school team, most college coaches wait until there is a club tournament so they can see more players at once. 

I do think that too many "die hard" club teams have done more to harm the sport than to help.  So many of guys I have known have been burnt out early because of too many tourneys or too many year round practices.  Don't ever lose the love for the game.

825687123[/snapback]

Yeah, G you have a good point. My son had played since he was 6 and had been on club teams since he was 9. During that time he was lucky enough to be on select teams that were in the state finals 4 different X. He was also on the ODP for a year and had won numerous awards from his school teams and soccer was his life.

He was a great player but when his select team coach started pressuring him to give up his other High School team sports for his club soccer he started to loose the love of the sport. He stopped playing soccer after lettering his freshmen and sophomore years in High School.

The flip side in the tri-city area we had a High school coach force his players to play for the locale select team and if the players didn't, he wouldn't play them on the High School team.

It's a great sport that I have learned to love. I have had the opportunity to watch it played in Germany, France, Macedonia, Italy, Saudi Arabia and a few others. I was in Germany during the last World Cup and had Germans waving me down while I was in my car a telling me how great the US had played them.

I say you need the Club to gain the skills but coaches don't burn the kids out by forcing them away from their other interest and God given talents. :justwrestle:

Edited by rigger101

Although I am not a huge club team fan, all of the college coaches I have talked to have said that Club is a MUST.  This is where you will get the most exposure.  While I dissagree that High School soccer is the "off season for club", I do think that unless you get a lot of media coverage with your high school team, most college coaches wait until there is a club tournament so they can see more players at once. 

I do think that too many "die hard" club teams have done more to harm the sport than to help.  So many of guys I have known have been burnt out early because of too many tourneys or too many year round practices.  Don't ever lose the love for the game.

825687123[/snapback]

i'm not sure if the "die hard clubs teams" are the problem or the parents that start pushing their kids. there are kids that thrive on the year round playing and enjoy the tourney's.but it is a choice that the kids should make.parents should provide the choices then support the player be it ayso or div 1 club. as for college if you can get a college coach to come to a high school game you've worked a minor miracle.they don't have the resources to travel alot so their best "bang for the buck" is gonna be club tourney's like raleigh and tampa.ok kids the part you hate to hear there are more academic scholarships than athletic scholarships. but if you can get academic money the coaches can save money and may be more apt to help you get in to a better program.

i would have to agree with a lot of you on this topic, winning a state championship feels a whole lot better in high school soccer, like yall said, there is just a lot of pride behind it and it makes it seem like a bigger deal. but i also agree with some of you guys in that club soccer has the better players and the overall skill level is quite a bit higher than ur average high school team