A Mildly Unrelated Note

TheGreatLineJudge

If any of you have heard of GMail, Google's free email service, you know how good it is. As of this posting, I can have 2,360 MB (yes, a little over 2.3 gigabytes) of storage space on my GMail account. And you know it's invitation only. I presently have 50 GMail invitations to burn, and I am happy to offer a GMail account to any who ask. Do not post here. Email me at thegreatlinejudge@gmail.com. Include in the subject line "Free Gmail Account" and then say whatever you please in the body. I'll send you an invite. When (and if) my 50 invites are gone, I'll delete this thread. Enjoy!

If any of you have heard of GMail, Google's free email service, you know how good it is. As of this posting, I can have 2,360 MB (yes, a little over 2.3 gigabytes) of storage space on my GMail account. And you know it's invitation only. I presently have 50 GMail invitations to burn, and I am happy to offer a GMail account to any who ask. Do not post here. Email me at thegreatlinejudge@gmail.com. Include in the subject line "Free Gmail Account" and then say whatever you please in the body. I'll send you an invite. When (and if) my 50 invites are gone, I'll delete this thread. Enjoy!

825697141[/snapback]

When GLJ finishes with his 50 -- you can still have some of MY 50. Same applies...just send me an email and I will respond with an invite. :)

GMail is, by far, the best email service I have used -- it's still in development and they are adding features all the time.

Can you compare it to Mozilla Thurderbird?

Interested in virus filters.

thanks

825697292[/snapback]

Thunderbird is an Open Source cross-platform email and usenet client based on Mozilla code. GMail is an email service - like hotmail (without all the ads). I could be wrong, but I don't believe Mozilla is offering email service are they?

Thunderbird is an Open Source cross-platform email and usenet client based on Mozilla code.  GMail is an email service - like hotmail (without all the ads).  I could be wrong, but I don't believe Mozilla is offering email service are they?

825697442[/snapback]

Thanks Ghost. I can tell by your response that you know WAY more than I do ..I don't even know how to repsond. All I know is that we use Thunderbird now instead of MS Outlook ..and I like it so far.

We also swithed from IE to Mozilla Firefird AND switched from Norton to Fprot ...and during all of this our wireless network now serves in the net on matchpoint (there, we are talking about vb afterall).

So, I am looking for answers when I don't even know the questions. I feel like a freshman put in the game against Brentwood.

Thanks Ghost.  I can tell by your response that you know WAY more than I do ..I don't even know how to repsond.  All I know is that we use Thunderbird now instead of MS Outlook ..and I like it so far.

We also swithed from IE to Mozilla Firefird AND switched from Norton to Fprot ...and during all of this our wireless network now serves in the net on matchpoint (there, we are talking about vb afterall).

So, I am looking for answers when I don't even know the questions.  I feel like a freshman put in the game against Brentwood.

825697507[/snapback]

No problem - Firebird is an email client - it downloads emails from your ISP to your computer and sends emails from your computer to your ISP. Your ISP hosts your email. So your email address is compassion@matchpoint.net - for example. Matchpoint hosts the email service that recieves and sends emails on your behalf. Firebird is sort of like the reader/editor. GMail is an email service that has it's own web-based client (reader/editor/storage - instead of on your computer). So you would create compassion@gmail.com - for example. Then you could read / send / store emails on Googles server (instead of on your computer) and access them with Firebird (or IE or any other browser). One of the advantages to using this type of email service is that you can access it from any computer that has internet access - anywhere.

...for my next tech lesson I'll cover operating systems - Linux and the like ;)

Edited by theghost20

I'm afraid I'll miss your next lesson, ghost - I'll be eating a cheddar brat cooked in beer instead. I know that grilling is the proper method, but my charcoal antique is buried in my tool shack somewhere. Hope to see you sometime in the coming season. How's The Mav doing?

I'm afraid I'll miss your next lesson, ghost - I'll be eating a cheddar brat cooked in beer instead.  I know that grilling is the proper method, but my charcoal antique is buried in my tool shack somewhere.  Hope to see you sometime in the coming season.  How's The Mav doing?

825697611[/snapback]

...ahh the Cheddy - good choice! thumb

Announcements